Freely Eating Sugar Ruined Me

lampofred

-Gained 25 pounds
-Lost muscle, gained a massive amount of stomach fat, now have a double-chin
-Lost all motivation, even to eat
-Have not eaten anything in 5 days, only drank coca-cola b/c I have no appetite for anything else (never hungry no matter how little I eat)
-No appetite, no motivation at all, super low energy, sleepiness, etc. are all a sign of massive dopamine receptor downregulation from sugar binging
-400mg of caffeine at once and I feel nothing
-Too lazy to type complete sentences (compare w/ the massive paragraphs I used to write when I first embarked on the Ray Peat journey when I hadn't begun to feel the after effects of replacing starch with sugar and instead felt hypomania like I was high)
-In short, I am a recovering addict
-Sugar really is a drug

I NEED my D2 receptors back, but they take months and years to regenerate even partially and most likely will never fully come back :(

J

James IV

Yup. You ate too much. Probably shouldn't have waited until you gained 25lbs to reevaluate your situation.

Tarmander

I mean...how much sugar were you eating? You think you've fried your brain?

tara

Sorry you are feeling so bad. Doesn't sound good.

Were you eating refined sucrose in large amounts, or milk and fruit etc that brought needed minerals with it?
I suspect that coca cola may not get you out of it.
Can you get some green veges/broth and liver and eggs?
Are you getting calcium and magnesium from somewhere?
And small servings of carby foods to go with them as you are hungry for them (food, not refined sucrose or HFCS), either sweet food like fruit or milk if they agree with you, or starchy ones like roots and tubers, depending on what your appetite says?

There are a couple of threads with suggestions about why at least some of us can sometimes get overloaded with too much fructose. Personally, I'm back to eating a bit more starch than sugar again. I expect Peat is right about the potential downsides starch, but I think for some of us, including me, too much sugar can sometimes cause more trouble.

Footscray

Food, diet, supps, cannot give you motivation for life. That comes from within, deep within. Food shouldn't be your God. A good diet MAY help some health related problem that was caused by a bad diet. But it can't cure a problem that was caused by something else. Eg incorrect thinking, incorrect philosophy, incorrect attitudes. Good luck.

tara

I NEED my D2 receptors back, but they take months and years to regenerate even partially and most likely will never fully come back :(
I guess you can know you are out of balance, but is this more than one amongst many possible hypotheses?
It's possible that you might get to feeling a lot better quite quickly if you can figure out what nutrition you need and supply it, and hold back what's been oversupplied. I wouldn't assume it needs to take months to be noticing big improvements.

tara

If you've been getting a lot of your calories from refined sucrose and HFCS, and you want to address this as an addiction, which seems like a reasonable approach to me if it feels like one to you, I'd consider going cold turkey on those two, and seeing if that solves it. Then you can still let your tastes guide you regarding fruit vs spuds etc.

A.R

Do you take b vitamins? They are essential for proper utilisation of sugar. Along with zinc, they will help bring back appetite from experience.

Let me guess, 50 grams of protein a day?

OP
L

lampofred

I mean...how much sugar were you eating? You think you've fried your brain?

I don't think sugar has fried my brain if you mean in terms of excitotoxic injury. It's more like my processing speed is stuck in Gear 1 instead of being able to go up to Gear 6. The car is running too slow.

OP
L

lampofred

Sorry you are feeling so bad. Doesn't sound good.

Were you eating refined sucrose in large amounts, or milk and fruit etc that brought needed minerals with it?
I suspect that coca cola may not get you out of it.
Can you get some green veges/broth and liver and eggs?
Are you getting calcium and magnesium from somewhere?
And small servings of carby foods to go with them as you are hungry for them (food, not refined sucrose or HFCS), either sweet food like fruit or milk if they agree with you, or starchy ones like roots and tubers, depending on what your appetite says?

There are a couple of threads with suggestions about why at least some of us can sometimes get overloaded with too much fructose. Personally, I'm back to eating a bit more starch than sugar again. I expect Peat is right about the potential downsides starch, but I think for some of us, including me, too much sugar can sometimes cause more trouble.

I started with milk and orange juice at first, but pretty soon I got so sick of them that I would get nauseous even just by looking at them. Plus milk gave me stomach pain, and orange juice gave me high blood pressure if I drank more than 1-2 glasses per day. Orange juice in particular was extremely bad for me... It made my blood pressure hover around 150/80. After stopping orange juice, however, BP is now back to 120/70! Coca cola was the only source of sugar which I could stand, but clearly I overdid it. It seems like starch is a necessary component of my diet.

If you've been getting a lot of your calories from refined sucrose and HFCS, and you want to address this as an addiction, which seems like a reasonable approach to me if it feels like one to you, I'd consider going cold turkey on those two, and seeing if that solves it. Then you can still let your tastes guide you regarding fruit vs spuds etc.

Whenever I buy/cook any healthy solid food at all, I take a bite of it, and it tastes like leather to me. The only things tasty are fries, fried chicken, and coca-cola. I might just have to eat a few meals of just fries. I'm sure PUFA is better than no food at all, especially when I'm getting <1000 calories daily. What I don't understand is how I'm eating so little but still gaining weight (and my temperature is higher than ever, so metabolism doesn't seem to be slowing...)

OP
L

lampofred

If anything, I'm probably as PUFA depleted as I can get. Literally a 75% coca-cola diet for weeks, very low caloric intake, and loads of caffeine intake.

OP
L

lampofred

Food, diet, supps, cannot give you motivation for life. That comes from within, deep within. Food shouldn't be your God. A good diet MAY help some health related problem that was caused by a bad diet. But it can't cure a problem that was caused by something else. Eg incorrect thinking, incorrect philosophy, incorrect attitudes. Good luck.

This is true, but without eating the proper food, I won't have the energy to change my life into what I want it to be.

walker_in_aus

If you are starving yourself on extremely low calories, have no appetite and are eating fries I'd say it's not your metabolism keeping you warm, it's probably a fever? I know a lot of people say potato makes you warm but perhaps not the good kind of warm, the fever kind of warm? Like an overgrowth of bacteria, underlying virus?

OP
L

lampofred

Do you take b vitamins? They are essential for proper utilisation of sugar. Along with zinc, they will help bring back appetite from experience.

I have B-vitamins, but I'm worried that I take too many stimulants with too little food. I've heard a lot about zinc increasing appetite though, and the one time I took zinc supplements, I remember my appetite becoming ravenous. And I just remembered sugar also chelates zinc from the body! I think zinc will help a lot.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals