Female/Iron/Thyroid Bloodwork. Help Please?

CaliforniaKat

Hi all,

I don't have a doctor (that I trust) so I paid out of pocket for labs. I don't have Reverse T3 or 4-point salivary cortisol results yet, but here are the rest. I am 46 yo female, 28-30 cycle tho heavy bleeding during actual menses. I am very familiar with STTM thyroid information, and I do take 2 grains of NT. The NT prescription was switched by HMO doc from Armour to Acella about 2 weeks ago, though the dose is the same. Last cortisol test showed high during the day back in February

I am weaning off of Gabapentin at 100 mg every 2 weeks. I have weaned from 700 mg so far with no side effects. I currently 400 mg Gabapentin and 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine, both taken at night before bed.

Current waking temps are 97, and get to about 98.2 during the afternoon. Pulse is usually in the mid-60's, but does rise after food to mid-70's or mid-80's. I have been incorporating Peat foods for roughly 6-8 weeks. I eat starch a couple times a week, but most starches are the form of corn masa, or potatoes. I am mostly avoiding gluten at this time. The rest of my carbs are in the form of fruit or honey, rarely fruit juice. I drink about 1 L of 1% milk per day. I use Great Lakes hydrolyzed collagen (green can) and gelatin (orange can) alternately.

Weight is currently 196 and I am 5'7, coming to Peat from mostly low carb background. My current macros are in the 2500-2900 calorie range with CPF at 40/20/40. I am slowly upping sugar and lowering fat. I get around 150 grams of protein per day.

I supplement magnesium every day. Some days I take K2 and D3, Bs, but not in huge doses. Cronometer says I don't get enough E, K, Thiamine, or Folate.

LABS:
Total Cholesterol 184 Range <200
Triglycerides 79 Range <150
HDL 57 Range >50
LDL 110 Range <100 *high*

Free T3 2.9 Range 2.4-4.2 STTM says patients tend to feel better in upper part of range
Free T4 0.9 Range 0.8-1.8
TSH 0.03 Range 0.4-4.5 *low*
TG antibodies <1 Range < or=1
TPA 1 Range <9

Fasted glucose 84 Range: 65-99
Fasted insulin 5.8 Range: 2.0-19.6
A1C 5.0 Range: <5.7

TIBC 313 Range: 250-450
% Saturation 21% Range: 11-50
Ferritin 15 Range: 10-190
Iron, total 67 Range: 40-190

day 21 of cycle
Estradiol(pg/ml) 19 Range: Follicular Phase 19-144, Mid-Cycle 64-357, Luteal Phase 56-214,
Postmenopausal < or = 31
FSH(mIU/ml) 66.6 Range: Follicular Phase: 2.5-10.2, Mid-cycle Peak 3.1-17.7, Luteal Phase 1.5- 9.1, Postmenopausal 23.0-116.3
LH(mIU/ml) 42.4 Range: Follicular Phase 1.9-12.5, Mid-Cycle Peak 8.7-76.3, Luteal Phase 0.5-16.9
Postmenopausal 10.0-54.7
Progesterone(ng/ml) 0.6 Range: Follicular Phase < 1.0, Luteal Phase 2.6-21.5, Post menopausal < 0.5

I forgot to order Prolactin. :( DHEA comes with cortisol test results that aren't here yet.

Glucose, A1C, and insulin seem ok. Cholesterol seems ok? Female hormones are in the toilet, I think. Add progesterone or preg? Thyroid numbers for T3 and T4 seem low, but TSH is suppressed. STTM and daily temps/pulse would say I need more thyroid. My last thyroid tests showed some increasing Reverse T3, but I don't have current numbers for that yet. Incread NT or go to T3 only?

Thanks in advance!! I know there is a lot here and I also know I have asked many, many questions in the past couple of weeks and I thank you to all who responded to those who responded previously.

OP
C

CaliforniaKat

So my ferritin sucks. I was taking an iron supplement months ago, because my iron sucked then too. My last thread people said to stop taking it. Now I'm exhausted all the time and ferritin is super low. Liver is gross. I can tolerate liver pate but it is also mostly gross too. How do I increase ferritin? Thyroid isn't metabolized well until ferritin is higher.

I'm seriously begging here folks....

Last edited:
D

danishispsychic

When my ferretin was low I took Slow- Fe and it worked for me .

Ella

Forum Supporter
So my ferritin sucks. I was taking an iron supplement months ago, because my iron sucked then too. My last thread people said to stop taking it. Now I'm exhausted all the time and ferritin is super low. Liver is gross. I can tolerate liver pate but it is also mostly gross too. How do I increase ferritin? Thyroid isn't metabolized well until ferritin is higher.

I'm seriously begging here folks....

Your heavy periods are depleting you of iron. If you don't like liver, what about beef, lamb, shellfish?? Eating these from day 21 to day 7 will help to replenish what you lose and reduce the heavy bleeding.

Difficult to work out hormones from blood, urine (DUTCH) is perhaps more useful as it tells us what is being excreted, and which pathways and enzymes are overactive or inhibited. Your estradiol appears low but blood does not tells us how much estrogen is bound up in the cell. Saliva is suppose to represent what is in the cell, idk, I prefer to go by what is being excreted and then work backwards.

Including more beef, lamb and shellfish will aid in detoxifying estrogens, along with progesterone.