Estrogen Is Neurotoxic

haidut

Forum Supporter
Again, if this is well known then how come estrogen therapy is recommended for diseases like MS, Alzheimers, Parkinson, etc?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1425446

"...Estradiol valerate (EV) treatment has been shown to result in the destruction of 60% of beta-endorphin neurons in the hypothalamic arcuate nucleus. Evidence suggests that the mechanism of EV-induced neurotoxicity involves the conversion of estradiol to catechol estrogen and subsequent oxidation to free radicals in local peroxidase-positive astrocytes. In this study, we examined whether treatment with the antioxidant, vitamin E, protects beta-endorphin neurons from the neurotoxic action of estradiol. Our results demonstrate that chronic vitamin E treatment prevents the decrement in hypothalamic beta-endorphin concentrations resulting from arcuate beta-endorphin cell loss, suggesting that the latter is mediated by free radicals. Vitamin E treatment also prevented the onset of persistent vaginal cornification and polycystic ovarian condition which have been shown to result from the EV-induced hypothalamic pathology."

Regina

Again, if this is well known then how come estrogen therapy is recommended for diseases like MS, Alzheimers, Parkinson, etc?

Vitamin E protects hypothalamic beta-endorphin neurons from estradiol neurotoxicity. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Estradiol valerate (EV) treatment has been shown to result in the destruction of 60% of beta-endorphin neurons in the hypothalamic arcuate nucleus. Evidence suggests that the mechanism of EV-induced neurotoxicity involves the conversion of estradiol to catechol estrogen and subsequent oxidation to free radicals in local peroxidase-positive astrocytes. In this study, we examined whether treatment with the antioxidant, vitamin E, protects beta-endorphin neurons from the neurotoxic action of estradiol. Our results demonstrate that chronic vitamin E treatment prevents the decrement in hypothalamic beta-endorphin concentrations resulting from arcuate beta-endorphin cell loss, suggesting that the latter is mediated by free radicals. Vitamin E treatment also prevented the onset of persistent vaginal cornification and polycystic ovarian condition which have been shown to result from the EV-induced hypothalamic pathology."
haidut,
Does Prolactin level reflect catechol estrogens? or would this be a separate test? Thx!

LeeLemonoil

Is this in-vivo? A nice protective effect of Vit. E then.

I wonder what part the form of the ester plays in these effects, if at all. At least they seem to modify the bioavailability and which tissues the compounds affect.
Given that valerates, butyrates and even laurates are all part of many aroma- and scentchemcials that many people ingest or ihale over the years, and that some of them are clearly xenoestrogens, "screening" those compounds would be highly interesting.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
haidut,
Does Prolactin level reflect catechol estrogens? or would this be a separate test? Thx!

I think prolactin is simply a reflection on total estrogen "load" so to speak. Estrogen activates the pituitary and makes it release prolactin, so high prolactin would mean one or more of the estrogens are high in tisues. Not sure if the catechol ones count or not, but given that synthetic estrogenic chemicals like BPA are also known to raise prolactin I think it applies to all estrogens.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is this in-vivo? A nice protective effect of Vit. E then.

I wonder what part the form of the ester plays in these effects, if at all. At least they seem to modify the bioavailability and which tissues the compounds affect.
Given that valerates, butyrates and even laurates are all part of many aroma- and scentchemcials that many people ingest or ihale over the years, and that some of them are clearly xenoestrogens, "screening" those compounds would be highly interesting.

Yes, it was in vivo. HED was about 2.5 IU/kg (bodyweight) alpha-tocopherol , so for most people 200 IU should do the trick. I think the esters simply have different bioavailability depending on route of administration so for injections the benzoate and valerate esters are preferred, while for oral use usually palmitate ester or some kind of nanoemulsion is used.

Regina

I think prolactin is simply a reflection on total estrogen "load" so to speak. Estrogen activates the pituitary and makes it release prolactin, so high prolactin would mean one or more of the estrogens are high in tisues. Not sure if the catechol ones count or not, but given that synthetic estrogenic chemicals like BPA are also known to raise prolactin I think it applies to all estrogens.
Thanks!
I'm trying to puzzle out if there is a connection between the catecholestrogens and high norepinephrine.

Regina

as well, haidut, I am seeing a connection with estrogen and "Aplastic Anemia." At least in dogs and ferrets. :confused:
Parvovirus as well.
Acute Parvovirus B19 Infection Leading to Severe Aplastic Anemia in a Previously Healthy Adult Female
:confused: (she said with mounting confusion...)
of course, the "treatment" for estrogen-induced aplastic anemia is estrogen "therapy", immunosuppressive "therapy" and blood transfusions. :bucktooth:

Last edited: