Effects From Life Extension Super K Complex

lvysaur

I've noticed a pretty nasty and alarming side effect from this supplement--immediately after taking it, the whites of my eyes turn pale yellow. Any idea what might be causing this?

one pill has:

1500 mcg K1 (phytonadione)
1000 mcg K2 (MK4)
200 mcg K2 (MK7)

CoolTweetPete

I saw Haidut mention in another thread that a 5g dose of K1 can cause potentially life-threatening clotting. How much did you take?

I use the same formula currently, but will be switching to his Kuinone supplement, which is pure MK4.

OP
lvysaur

lvysaur

I just took one pill, and saw immediate effects. In particular, the whites of my eyes turn yellowish, and my jaw gets wider. I also think my hair and facial hair are positively affected. Other than the yellowing of the eyes, all these changes seem beneficial.

One pill has 1.5 mg of K1, 1 mg mk4, and 0.2 mg mk7 (stated above). This is still a few thousand times less than Haidut's dose.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I saw Haidut mention in another thread that a 5g dose of K1 can cause potentially life-threatening clotting. How much did you take?

I use the same formula currently, but will be switching to his Kuinone supplement, which is pure MK4.

It is 5mg of K1, not 5g. Even an elephant can die from 5g of vitamin K1:):
K1 is used for blood coagulation and is given by injection to newborn babies in many Western countries as a "precaution" against excessive bleeding. Aside from the risks of excessive clotting, the K1 injections have been linked to childhood leukemia even though it is probably some excipient that is causing this and not the vitamin K1 itself.

Birdie

More on K2 from Team FPS, April 22, 2013:

".... Vitamin K2 (Yamaguchi, et al., 2003) blocks the removal of calcium from bone caused by parathyroid hormone and prostaglandin E2, by completely blocking their stimulation of lactic acid production by bone tissues. Aspirin, which, like vitamin K, supports cell respiration and inhibits lactic acid formation, also favors bone calcification. Vitamin K2 stimulates the formation of two important bone proteins, osteocalcin and osteonectin (Bunyaratavej, et al., 2009), and reduces the activity of estrogen by oxidizing estradiol (Otsuka, et al, 2005).” Ray Peat

I have been taking 3 Super Ks.
Wasn't aware of clotting problem linked to 5000 mcg of K1. Or if I was, I forgot !
Looks like I'm in the danger zone with 4500 mcg of it. Since I have a lower body weight... Around 110 I think.. my tolerance would be lower.

There is always some new possible side effect to investigate.
Do you think I should cut back to 2 Super Ks ?

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I personally never take more than two LE super k. I think you meant 4500 mcg above.

haidut

Forum Supporter
More on K2 from Team FPS, April 22, 2013:

".... Vitamin K2 (Yamaguchi, et al., 2003) blocks the removal of calcium from bone caused by parathyroid hormone and prostaglandin E2, by completely blocking their stimulation of lactic acid production by bone tissues. Aspirin, which, like vitamin K, supports cell respiration and inhibits lactic acid formation, also favors bone calcification. Vitamin K2 stimulates the formation of two important bone proteins, osteocalcin and osteonectin (Bunyaratavej, et al., 2009), and reduces the activity of estrogen by oxidizing estradiol (Otsuka, et al, 2005).” Ray Peat

I have been taking 3 Super Ks.
Wasn't aware of clotting problem linked to 5000 mg of K1. Or if I was, I forgot !
Looks like I'm in the danger zone with 4500 mg of it. Since I have a lower body weight... Around 110 I think.. my tolerance would be lower.

There is always some new possible side effect to investigate.
Do you think I should cut back to 2 Super Ks ?

It is not 5,000mg but 5,000mcg which is 5mg of K1. Most of the human studies have been done with vitamin K2, so that's what I take when I decide to take vitamin K. Everybody is different and if a person is prone to bleeding they may do better with K1.

Birdie

I personally never take more than two LE super k. I think you meant 4500 mcg above.
Yes, thanks for typo correction, Blossom.

I should prob go back to 2 like you. Been trying to counteract easy bruising that started when began aspirin.
Kinda round in circles there.
Besides those anti-inflammatory things that aren't immediately observable, I find taking 2 aspirin at bedtime good for joint pain...

Besides, the Super K is so durn expensive.
Putting dmso on bruises solves the ugly part, but still, as we know, easy bruising on the outside can indicate easy bruising on the inside.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes, thanks for typo correction, Blossom.

I should prob go back to 2 like you. Been trying to counteract easy bruising that started when began aspirin.
Kinda round in circles there.
Besides those anti-inflammatory things that aren't immediately observable, I find taking 2 aspirin at bedtime good for joint pain...

Besides, the Super K is so durn expensive.
Putting dmso on bruises solves the ugly part, but still, as we know, easy bruising on the outside can indicate easy bruising on the inside.
You know since you mention Dmso, did you know IdeaLabs makes a k product with Dmso? I've not tried it yet myself but it's a little more affordable than Thorne k and should last longer. I'm such a cheapskate I could never bring myself to pay the $$$ for Thorne!

Birdie

Oh, thanks Blossom. That's an idea !

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Oh, thanks Blossom. That's an idea !
You're welcome.
I'm like you and take a couple of aspirin most days. I'd like to be able to take a bit more k above and beyond what's needed to balance the aspirin.

Birdie

Thanks Haidut and I've corrected those units.
I'm gonna stick with the 2 tablet dose of Super K for now.
Ivysaur, sorry for diversion. I've not heard of yellowing of sclera connected with vitamin K before...

2/15/17 I've been using 1 gel tab for quite a while now.

Last edited:

Birdie

Checking around, it looks like synthetic vit K, menadione or K3, has been associated with yellowing of the eyes...
Maybe somebody else knows more or you could google it and find out more..

Max2020

I'm taking life extension super K since 2 years with no problems at all.
Soon i will start taking 2 softgels daily for extra vitamin K boost.

Are there two version with super k?

614-ZZmo6fL._SL1179_.jpg

71WWS2y8ExL._SL1500_.jpg

Birdie

Are there two version with super k?

Thanks for pointing this out. Maybe the second bottle is a new formulation with more K1. My latest bottles are of that type.

Birdie

Fon

I've noticed a pretty nasty and alarming side effect from this supplement--immediately after taking it, the whites of my eyes turn pale yellow. Any idea what might be causing this?

one pill has:

1000 mcg K2 (MK4)
200 mcg K2 (MK7)
the whites of your eyes turning yellow? I think its time to check your liver enzymes.

ddjd

one pill has:

1000 mcg K2 (MK4)
200 mcg K2 (MK7)
I got shingles after taking too much of this product

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals