Edema/Water Retention

dookie

Do yourself a favor... get bloodwork done.. if you are confused... it holds the answers

After years of doing blood work, and spending a lot of money on it, I have never found a correlation between any lab value and my symptoms, and currently consider most (if not all) lab tests to be useless.

Monitor your signs and symptoms, those give the most accurate, real-time feedback

whit

edema is not necessarily related to lack of physical activity. like all things, it's related to some imbalance. so instead of trying to figure out some kind of dominance factor inside the body, focus more on imbalances nutritionally and lifestyle-wise. the right types of protein, enough protein, the right types of carbs, enough carbs, the right types of fats, enough fats. then there's tonicity of foods, sodium levels, calcium to phosphorous ratios, foods that are digestible for you, getting enough nutrients, getting enough to eat (and frequently enough), getting enough sleep, getting enough sunlight, and moving enough. the list could go on, but i feel those are the biggest variables to balance outside of lifestyle choices and events. the answer to all these variables never stays the same through one's life, though there can be seasons where it's pretty much the same. and if you balance these variables, you are creating an environment which is conducive to healing much more than edema.

:+1 Salt and sun and coconut water. Sounds like vacation.

After years of doing blood work, and spending a lot of money on it, I have never found a correlation between any lab value and my symptoms, and currently consider most (if not all) lab tests to be useless.

Monitor your signs and symptoms, those give the most accurate, real-time feedback

Prolactin, vit D, cholesterol, tsh, some others... how can you say those are useless...? Like what blood work did you do? I I find clear problems on my blood work

beanie

I am very similar to RPDiciple only I am female. I am a long distance runner, lift weights and eat extremely healthy (organic, very little processed foods, sugar, salt, etc). I look like the picture of good health unless you see me barefoot. I get terrible swollen feet, ankles and sometimes lower legs. To the point where it is sometimes almost painful. I drink a lot of water, eat a lot of bananas and take magnesium supplements. The only thing I don't get a lot of is sodium or salt. I am thinking maybe I just need to add salt to my diet. I bought some of that himalayan salt, but I am wondering what is the right way to do this, and how long will it take to see possible results? I realize this may make the problem worse before it gets better which is why I have been avoiding doing it. I have been analyzing every single thing that I eat and my supplements and medications and this is the only thing that I can think of left to try. The other problem I have is what to eat that is salty or that I can salt. I can't eat popcorn due to slight corn allergy. My doctor did order some blood tests for me (he is an excellent doctor btw.) I have not had a chance to get the blood tested yet. Should I wait to try the salt until after I can get the bloodwork done? RPDiciple have you solved your issues? If so, what can you advise? I have tried ocassional otc diuretics but they do nothing for me. Please take a minute to help. I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

whit

Hey Beanie,
Welcome to the RP forum.
I too have come from sports and endurance. Similar issues have come about. I'm not sure of your age
But I've found on average women need more sodium than men.
I use up to 10grams of salt in summer but I sweat alot.
Peat says to just salt to taste. It goes well with fruit. Watermelon is one of my favorites.

I don't believe that there needs to be much worry of testing before using salt. It's food after all.
Peat does warn against impurities in some salt products like iron or heavy metals. Kosher or pickling salt is preferred around here. There are some threads here on the topic.
Salt helps many processes in the body and lowers stress.
Chances are if you crave it and its good for you it will be of great benefit.
Magnesium is also an important substance. You are wise to supplement it.
We use Mag. Chloride in water and topically as needed. Some need it to be diluted.
Hope this helps.

beanie

Hi,

To all of you suffering edema, I too am at my wits end. One cause of pedal edema in the past for me (not currently the case) is anemia or iron deficiency. It's something I have not seen talked about on this site. Check it out if you have not considered it yet. I'm still looking for any help from others. My sodium level is in normal range so am at a loss.

Beanie

Vanced

Optimal diet and thyroid keep edema to a minimum for me, also just enough salt but not too much.

Vitamin C gives me horrendous edema, really very bad, vitamin d does as well but not as bad.

Lean meats, starches, fruit, some dairy, eggs - high carb, high protein, low fat along with lots of walking. Obviously being low bodyfat will help as well.

If I stop taking thyroid medication all of the above will make no difference and the water/fat will soon start piling on.

beanie

Thanks Yhickfoe. That is weird about the vitamin c and d. How did you figure that out? I am currently taking a multiple vitamin (2X daily is the dosage instructions). It's the My Kind for women over 40 so it is made from organic food sources. The vitamin c is not made from ascorbic acid. I am thinking of adding a b complex because the b vitamins in this aren't high like they are in a complex.

I don't think I have thyroid issues because I told my doctor about the swelling and he did a bunch of blood tests and a urine test. He is very good so I'm assuming he checked that.

I eat really well. I am allergic to onions and garlic so I don't really eat out and can't eat any prepared/processed foods because everything has onions/garlic. I can't even have onion or garlic powder. It forces me to eat well though, which is a good thing. I am a runner and I lift weights so I have a good appetite and eat a lot and drink plenty of water as my only beverage other than milk and coffee. Luckily, I have a slim, toned figure. It's just that if I take a day or two off from exercising, my feet, ankles and lower legs swell so bad that it is uncomfortable and unattractive:). I prop them up on pillows at night and sleep on my back which seems to help. Also, when I go running or do the elliptical my feet are immediately back to normal within about 15 minutes into the activity.

I am 48 and have taken hormone replacement therapy without any issues for about 8 years and was on birth control before that so that I would menstruate. I had ovarian failure at a young age so I really needed the hormones. I know Ray doesn't like them. I take the generic for Premarin (estrogen) 6.25mg and Provera (medroxyprogesterone) 2.5mg. I am wondering if I should take a break for a few months. I tried stopping for a week and didn't see any improvement in my edema so I went back on them. I could also lower the dose to 3mg of the Premarin instead of stopping completely. If anyone has any ideas or advice about this please chime in. I know I should really see my OBgyn about this, but it will take a while to get an appointment and she will probably tell me that the decision is mine. She'll lower the dose if I want too. I am thinking maybe I should just stop for a while in case my hormones are imbalanced somehow. I would think that stopping for a week would have made a difference, though.

The salt thing is tricky. I was eating very low sodium naturally, but have been experimenting and trying to add a little Himalasalt brand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SAOKIU/?tag=rapefo-20 . I know Ray likes that canning salt, but I think this stuff is better. There is no additives or iodine etc, etc and it's all organic and full of minerals. I am not impressed with that Morton's canning salt to be honest.

EIRE24

Optimal diet and thyroid keep edema to a minimum for me, also just enough salt but not too much.

Vitamin C gives me horrendous edema, really very bad, vitamin d does as well but not as bad.

Lean meats, starches, fruit, some dairy, eggs - high carb, high protein, low fat along with lots of walking. Obviously being low bodyfat will help as well.

If I stop taking thyroid medication all of the above will make no difference and the water/fat will soon start piling on.
How much fat is low fat for you?

superhuman

@yhickfoe how much thyroid are you taking?

I struggle with water retention. I have tried high salt, regular salt, alot of thyroid etc etc. Nothing matters.

The only thing that makes a noticeble difference but still not enough are sodium bicarb, alot of protein, salt(reduces some water retention in my face), aspirin.

But still i have water retention esp in my face and some in lower body

beanie

@superhuman have you ever had your kidneys tested? It's a simple urine test. If you have even early stage kidney issues, you should not be taking magnesium (unless it's chloride). It can cause the edema and will make the kidney issues worse. If you do have kidney issues, you probably shouldn't use the sodium bicarb because it affects the amount of acid in your blood. Also, avoid Pepto Bismol, Milk of Magnesia, and antacids if this is the case. You seem to have been struggling with this edema for quite some time. I would definitely get your kidneys checked. If there is a problem and you figure it out early, you can prevent it from getting worse.

I am just throwing this out there as something to consider. I noticed all my edema problems started when I began taking the mag citrate. It turns out I have low levels of protein in my urine so I shouldn't be taking mag citrate. If you don't want to have the urine test maybe just stop taking magnesium and see if it helps.

Vanced

How much fat is low fat for you?

usually around 60g - 70g a day, from local grass fed beef, eggs and ice cream or cheese, protein around 160g, carbs around 400g

@yhickfoe how much thyroid are you taking?

I struggle with water retention. I have tried high salt, regular salt, alot of thyroid etc etc. Nothing matters.

The only thing that makes a noticeble difference but still not enough are sodium bicarb, alot of protein, salt(reduces some water retention in my face), aspirin.

But still i have water retention esp in my face and some in lower body

Currently 100mcg of T4 and 25mcg of T3

I also eat a lot of starch, rice and potatoes as well as fruit and OJ etc but the majority of my carbs are from starch - I just feel better with it, have you tried more starch?

what happens when you eat too much salt?

whit

what happens when you eat too much salt?
I'm not sure, the threshold has eluded me thus far. It's not from lack of trying however.
The craving for salt subsides for me once I've had enough.
Many things can be toxic to someone with low thyroid function though.

Last edited by a moderator:

beanie

Are you still struggling with this? If so, I have some suggestions for you. I solved my edema problem. (There was actually a few things causing mine.) Let me know.

beanie

Hi Superhuman,

I have 2 recommendations for you. Since you are active, I believe if you follow both of my recommendations, you will see improvement fast. Like in a week or less. So please just try this for a short time to see if it will help you.

I don't know why it works, but many people (including me) have solved this problem by eliminating all gluten and all grains from their diets. This includes corn, rice and gluten free oats and any other grains.

The second thing I would do is stop taking all of your supplements and non food items for a week. Only take your necessary prescription medications.

I was reacting to one of the additives in my magnesium citrate (I think it was the glycerin). Glycerin causes fluid retention. Check the ingredients on all your supplements for this additive. Please just stop everything for a week and give your body a break. Then you can reintroduce things one at a time.

If you want, you might try eliminating nightshades and eggs too. Or you can do this at a later time. Please at least try the first two things for a short time and see if it will work for you. I know you have been struggling for a long time with this.

Good Luck!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals