Does Riboflavin Stop Fatty Acid Oxidation?

Lucenzo01

I'm trying to deplete PUFAS the fast way: increasing fatty acid oxidation and decreasing fatty acid synthesis as much as I can. That means megadosing on the fat solubles and C to mitigate per oxidation damage. But I feel great on riboflavin I would love to start taking it again. The question is: would it stop fatty acid oxidation?

LeeLemonoil

could be

Riboflavin supplementation improves energy metabolism in mice exposed to acute hypoxia.
Wang YP1, Wei JY, Yang JJ, Gao WN, Wu JQ, Guo CJ.
Author information
Abstract

This study investigated the effects of riboflavin on energy metabolism in hypoxic mice. Kunming mice were fed diets containing riboflavin at doses of 6, 12, 24 and 48 mg/kg, respectively for 2 weeks before exposure to a simulated altitude of 6000 m for 8 h. Changes of riboflavin status and energy metabolism were assessed biochemically. Simultaneously, a (1)H nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) based metabolomic technique was used to track the changes of plasma metabolic profiling. It was found that the content of hepatic riboflavin was decreased and erythrocyte glutathione activation coefficient was elevated significantly under hypoxic condition. Meanwhile, increased plasma pyruvate, lactate, beta-hydroxybutyrate and urea, as well as decreased plasma carnitine were observed. Riboflavin supplementation improved riboflavin status remarkably in hypoxic mice and decreased plasma levels of pyruvate, free fatty acids and beta-hydroxybutyrate significantly. Plasma carnitine was increased in response to riboflavin supplementation. Results obtained from (1)H NMR analysis were basically in line with the data from biochemical assays and remarkable changes in plasma taurine, choline and some other metabolites were also indicated. It was concluded that riboflavin requirement was increased under acute hypoxic condition and riboflavin supplementation was effective in improving energy metabolism in hypoxic mice.