Dmso Is Similar To Reserpine, Lowers Serotonin, Increases MAO-A

Mr. Sick

Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) increasea MAO-A pretty reliably since the enzyme used vitamin B2 as cofactor. Using the activated version R5P seems to work very well even at 10mg doses. The increase in MAO-A and subsequent drop in serotonin explains (IMO) why vitamin B2 treats migraines. FDA is considering approving B2 for migraines, but only in combination with "established" (read profitable) treatments like the *triptan drugs.

I had an quite unpleasant experience along with B2 a few month ago. Like I postet in my thread ( Extreme Reaction To Only Little Selenium/ Sub Acute Thyroiditis ? )
I had a copper deficiency and a deficiency of bioactive Vitamin B1 and especially B2. (The measurement of bioactive B-vitamins is explained here )
So on one day, I was supping 100mg Thiamine HCl and active B2 for a week each and 2mg copper glycinate for 2 1/2 weeks, I got a bad eMail from a colleague at work, one hour after I took all three supps. It was mildly upsetting. But my reaction to this was completely out of proportion. I had a resting heart rate of 100-110 - for hours. I had real severe and unpleasant pressure in my eye balls. I started to sweat. It felt like a giant adrenaline rush, which stayed for hours. I couldnt sleep one bit that night. Or the next one. I had anxiety for days (I never used to have that before). Maybe all those supps were upping Noradrenaline synthesis which needs copper and Vit C. The days before I was supplementing a bit of Vit C every now and then because of the parallel ongoing histamine issues (tested by omission diet).

Because of this, I was afraid of copper and active B2. But I will retry B2. However, I never found a study that was measuring Serotonin levels on B2 supplementation. Would be nice to know, if the level is really declining, because B2 is also said to be a cofactor in methylation and methylation dictates the pace of neurotransmitter synthesis.

Interestingly, while googling riboflavin+estrogen i found a thread of yours, that both B1 and B2 are very important for the liver getting rid of estrogen. I also found, that estrogen is upping riboflavin and thiamine binding proteins (here & here), rendering them inactive(?) Estrogen would decrease MAOa quite a bit.
I have reason to believe that I might have been exposed to a lot of xeno-estrogens in february. This is when everything went south real fast. I tried detoxing with calcium d glucarate and ... I don't know. it def did something. Don't know if it was something good though.

When I would do a saliva hormone test, would it also measure xenoestrogens?

@Mito: I am going by symptoms and testing the reaction to various supplements. The medical lab around here does offer diamine oxidase testint, but not monoamine oxidase testing somehow.

@such saturation: So which one is the best test for this?

Mr. Sick

The methylation/undermethylation people might have some indirect tests for that. Otherwise you would probably look for neurotransmitter metabolites in the blood. @whodathunkit @haidut

woa, fast reply there!
Mh but neurotransmitter in blood? You have not been to convinced of this yourself, haven't you? Afaik it doesn't necessarily corelate with levels in the brain. Or do you think if one has a severe MAOa deficiency, he would definetly have raised NT levels everywhere? Wouldn't exclude NT's being high in the gut for other reasons though.
Another test I did, was stool testing or whatever you call this in english. Having too much calprotectin (but not as high like in celiac) points to a mild gut inflammation. On top of that I had 10x more Enterocoocus and 8x more E. Coli bacteria. This probably altering NT levels on its own. It definetly is increasing the histamine load.

Edit: And the bad bacteria would also increase beta-glucorunidase, making it even more difficult to excrete estrogens.

woa, fast reply there!
Mh but neurotransmitter in blood? You have not been to convinced of this yourself, haven't you? Afaik it doesn't necessarily corelate with levels in the brain. Or do you think if one has a severe MAOa deficiency, he would definetly have raised NT levels everywhere? Wouldn't exclude NT's being high in the gut for other reasons though.
Another test I did, was stool testing or whatever you call this in english. Having too much calprotectin (but not as high like in celiac) points to a mild gut inflammation. On top of that I had 10x more Enterocoocus and 8x more E. Coli bacteria. This probably altering NT levels on its own. It definetly is increasing the histamine load.

Edit: And the bad bacteria would also increase beta-glucorunidase, making it even more difficult to excrete estrogens.
Enjoy the read :cool https://tinyurl.com/ybkad4jz