Dmso Is Similar To Reserpine, Lowers Serotonin, Increases MAO-A

FredSonoma

Also would DMSO ingested increase iron absorption? Would there be any reason to believe that the bodo couldn't store T4 in the liver from topical Tyromax the same way it can store it from oral Tyromax?

tara

What are the risks with calcium, high caffeine and baking soda?
A small number of people (not memebers here as far a s I know) have killed themselves by overdosing on caffeine. Generally several grams. So when people say they want to take 3+ g a day I've been known to express concern.

High levels of supplemental calcium + baking soda seem to have set a couple of people here off towards milk-alkali syndrome.
I think one may be able to avoid this by monitoring UpH and baking off if it goes too high, but not sure.

FredSonoma

A small number of people (not memebers here as far a s I know) have killed themselves by overdosing on caffeine. Generally several grams. So when people say they want to take 3+ g a day I've been known to express concern.

High levels of supplemental calcium + baking soda seem to have set a couple of people here off towards milk-alkali syndrome.
I think one may be able to avoid this by monitoring UpH and baking off if it goes too high, but not sure.
What would counteract the milk-alkali? Magnesium?

tara

What would counteract the milk-alkali? Magnesium?
As far as I know, the main thing is to stop the excessive supplementation of calcium and baking soda. I also imagine consuming a balance of acidifying and alkalinising foods over all may be relevant but I can't remember what they all are, and it may to some extent depend on individual digestion etc. I know magnesium is oimportant for good use of calcium, but I I don't know if there are forms of magnesium that would be helpful against milk-alkali. Magnesium is another alkaline mineral, so you don't want to use it in ways that push pH up - but I don't understand the intricacies well enough to advise. Measuring UpH is the only easy way I can think of that I think might allow one to avoid this problem if one is experimenting with high levels of supplementation.
The couple of people I've read here who described milk-alkali syndrome mentioned reduced breathing rate - I think body may attempt to defend itself by increasing CO2.

FredSonoma

Yes. I find that on days when i overdo the milk eating almost a pound of cooked spinach balances everything. I fact I have made this a staple in my diet for the same reason.

I enjoy the taste of spinach for the most part, but something about it can feel very "cold" and slowing to my digestion. Have you noticed this? Something about it just doesn't feel right.

Nighteyes

I enjoy the taste of spinach for the most part, but something about it can feel very "cold" and slowing to my digestion. Have you noticed this? Something about it just doesn't feel right.

Interesting. I havent noticed this myself - although I always have coffee with my spinach for The iron. Perhaps you are reacting to The iron in The spinach?

tristan1234

I have suspected that DMSO has central effects given how powerfully sedating it can be for some people. This older study compares the effects of DMSO to the ancient tranquilizer reserpine, which Peat has written about before. This would make DMSO an effective serotonin lowering agent, an anti-depressant, an anti-psychotic medicine, and also potentially libido enhancing. As you can see, in a eerily similar tone to Peat's article on reserpine, DMSO was used successfully as an anti-psychotic drug. Finally, this would make DMSO a good combination with methylene blue not only due to enhancing the absorption of methylene blue but also due to the ability of DMSO to reverse the MAO-A inhibition caused bu methylene blue.
Serotonin, depression, and aggression - The problem of brain energy.
"...Reserpine is an ancient tranquilizer, derived from a plant used in India for centuries. It has a powerful tranquilizing action, has been used to treat hypertension, and was found to be an antidepressant (Davies and Shepherd, 1955). It lowers the concentration of serotonin in the brain and other tissues. Isoniazid, an antidepressant that came into use in the 1950s, is effective, but it probably has no effect on serotonin. When those drugs were popular, serotonin wasn’t recognized as a “neurotransmitter.” It wasn’t until the 1960s that our present set of doctrines regarding serotonin’s effects on mood and behavior came into being."

EFFECTS OF DIMETHYL SULFOXIDE AND ALPHAGLUCOCHLORALOSE ON PENTYLENETETRAZOL CONVULSIVE THRESHOLDS IN MICE - Braude - 2006 - Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences - Wiley Online Library
"...The mechanism of action of DMSO and AGC on PTZ seizure thresholds is yet unknown, but from the emerging facts, an hypothesis may be formulated. The effects of DMSO in this test are remarkably similar to those of a 10 mg/ kg of reserpine as described by Bastian.' Reserpine also decreased the threshold to persistent tonic seizures, did not block hindleg extension and shortened time to death. In addition to this similar action on PTZ seizure thresholds, DMSO has exhibited some of the pharmacological profile of reserpine. Like this compound, it increases hexobarbital sleeping time of mice,' lowers body temperature and decreases spontaneous motor activity of mice. In man, Ramirez and Luzag have also reported that DMSO, given i.m. to 42 severely disturbed psychotic patients, produced emotional calm and relieved some psychotic and psychoneurotic symptoms. When AGC is given with a dose of 5 gm/kg of DMSO, the effect of DMSO on the PTZ tonic seizure threshold is reversed, although DMSO somewhat prevents the full anticonvulsive activity of AGC. Because Bonnycastle" has reported significant increases in rat brain serotonin levels after intraperitoneal administration of chloralose and chloral hydrate, the reversing of the DMSO effect by AGC might be comparable to the reversing of the reserpine effect by monoamine oxidase inhibitors."
I've got a few idealabs supps and was thinking getting more. I'm wondering if the dose of DMSO would become problematic if I'm using multiple DMSO products at their specified doses?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I've got a few idealabs supps and was thinking getting more. I'm wondering if the dose of DMSO would become problematic if I'm using multiple DMSO products at their specified doses?

Even if you use all 5 supplements that contain DMSO that would still be less than 3g of DMSO per day. The studies I have seen say that this has a very low risk of toxicity but I suppose everybody is different.

tristan1234

Even if you use all 5 supplements that contain DMSO that would still be less than 3g of DMSO per day. The studies I have seen say that this has a very low risk of toxicity but I suppose everybody is different.
Awesome thanks.

NathanK

Wasn't one of the properties of reserpine that it decreased dopamine (as well as serotonin)? Hence the tranquilizing effects. Still mostly accurate for the ideas you presented, except maybe libido-enhancing.
Hyperkinesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Tetrabenazine works by depleting presynaptic dopamine and blocking postsynaptic dopamine receptors, while reserpine depletes the presynaptic catecholamine and serotonin stores; both of these drugs treat hemiballismus successfully but may cause depression, hypotension and parkinsonism."

Yeah. No thank you. Lowering serotonin is great, but not if it knocks out dopamine to the point of depression and Parkinsons.

RePeatRePeat

I have liked using Haidut's supplements with DMSO so much that I decided to purchase pure DMSO (low odor) to use separately for the healing effects on some sore joints. Read up on it first and decided to use it orally first to see how it goes and later use it directly on the skin if I find it necessary. I took one teaspoon in juice before bed. The next morning was the first time in so many years that I can't remember getting out of bed without the balls of my feet hurting with nerve pain. Didn't expect that at all. Overall, I have felt great all day and look forward to using this daily and seeing what good things happen. Not at all worried about it.

RePeatRePeat

Plus, I will add that my temps have been higher today and I have felt more relaxed - but not zoned out - than usual.

allblues

Do we get enough DMSO for MAO- and/or anti-cholinesterase effects from using regular doses of Idealabs-products?
Say, a full dose of Tyromax? Is there any way of knowing?

I feel i'm a pretty low-dopamine guy and wouldn't want to be putting myself at risk of depleting precious monoamines.
I guess a break from DMSO-products could be in order to see if anything changes.

Mr. Sick

All I am saying is that a number of toxic insults inhibit MAO-A and restoring it to normal seems to be beneficial. The goal of this post was to point the similarities between DMSO and reserpine, not pick on specific effects. Btw, aspirin also lowers seizure threshold. Is that a reason to avoid it?

I can't support that notion enough. I still don't know what hit me exactly, but I know that my MAO is impaired (it's getting better only real slowly). It's terrible. Anybody that has too much neurotransmitters in their brain understands that adequate MAO is extremely important.
I can't take any supplement that increases the synthesis of catecholamines or serotonin or that are inhibiting MAO. There is almost nothing left, since pretty much every anti-oxidant (except Vitamin A, which increases MAO-b), every polyphenol is inhibiting MAO. And almost any herb is bringing anti-oxidant qualities to the table.
It's really crazy that there isn't a single herb, except for reserpine, that increases MAO. (than again, does Reserpine even increase MAO? This stuff is more about VMAT destruction) What is nature thinking here?

DMSO sounds interesting, but the MAO-increasing effect isn't really established yet, in my eyes.
In an attempt to find a herb that is upregulating mao, I also look out for herbs that are shunned because they are said to "induce depression". Similar to reserpine (which I won't take). Any suggestions?

Edit: well, I forgot progesterone. That does increase MAO-a. But I have no clue how about raising this without doing damage to myself. Taking progesterone cream as a male does seem to be difficult at least.
Same with pregnenolone? I have issues with too much cortisol, especially at night. Probably mediated by too much Serotonin/5ht2a receptor. It's difficult to control pregnenolone, so it's not going into building even more cortisol.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I can't support that notion enough. I still don't know what hit me exactly, but I know that my MAO is impaired (it's getting better only real slowly). It's terrible. Anybody that has too much neurotransmitters in their brain understands that adequate MAO is extremely important.
I can't take any supplement that increases the synthesis of catecholamines or serotonin or that are inhibiting MAO. There is almost nothing left, since pretty much every anti-oxidant (except Vitamin A, which increases MAO-b), every polyphenol is inhibiting MAO. And almost any herb is bringing anti-oxidant qualities to the table.
It's really crazy that there isn't a single herb, except for reserpine, that increases MAO. (than again, does Reserpine even increase MAO? This stuff is more about VMAT destruction) What is nature thinking here?

DMSO sounds interesting, but the MAO-increasing effect isn't really established yet, in my eyes.
In an attempt to find a herb that is upregulating mao, I also look out for herbs that are shunned because they are said to "induce depression". Similar to reserpine (which I won't take). Any suggestions?

Edit: well, I forgot progesterone. That does increase MAO-a. But I have no clue how about raising this without doing damage to myself. Taking progesterone cream as a male does seem to be difficult at least.
Same with pregnenolone? I have issues with too much cortisol, especially at night. Probably mediated by too much Serotonin/5ht2a receptor. It's difficult to control pregnenolone, so it's not going into building even more cortisol.

Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) increasea MAO-A pretty reliably since the enzyme used vitamin B2 as cofactor. Using the activated version R5P seems to work very well even at 10mg doses. The increase in MAO-A and subsequent drop in serotonin explains (IMO) why vitamin B2 treats migraines. FDA is considering approving B2 for migraines, but only in combination with "established" (read profitable) treatments like the *triptan drugs.

Mito

I still don't know what hit me exactly, but I know that my MAO is impaired (it's getting better only real slowly). It's terrible. Anybody that has too much neurotransmitters in their brain understands that adequate MAO is extremely important.
Did you confirm high levels of neurotransmitters with blood testing? Or are you going by symptoms?

Did you confirm high levels of neurotransmitters with blood testing
j_jonah_jameson_laughing_300x300.jpg