Morning Star

The other day I checked the label on the salt which we use at the restaurant I work in and discovered it contained sodium aluminosilicate, an anti-caking agent.I scoured the web searching for other unexpected routes of exposure and must now conclude that virtually every processed food available for consumption has been dosed with aluminum numerous times throughout its production.

Most aluminum conscious individuals are careful to limit their exposure to topical aluminum, whether through -antiperspirants, or other personal care products, or avoid the usage of aluminum cookware but a far greater danger lurks within common food additives. Artificial coloring are 25% Al, baked goods contain aluminum in the baking powder, the salt in most all processed foodstuffs is only labeled salt, but this is one of the deceptive tactics of the industry, to innocuously refer to a highly adulterated concoction of binders, fillers, additives and contaminants as a singular wholesome ingredient. The bulk of aluminum exposure is dietary. Only 80% of Al is readily excreted, the rest accumulates in the brain, bones and spleen. The tolerable weekly intake was set at 1 mg/kg, unless a person purposefully avoids all Al containing foodstuffs, he will likely exceed this level by 30-50 fold. Needless to add that children are especially vulnerable, and that food marketed toward them is always especially contaminated by these Al laden additives.
On a final note It appears cocoa powder is the ranking offender for naturally present aluminum. It blows away even the additive containing products.

Last edited:

michael94

"I scoured the web searching for other unexpected routes of exsposure and must now conclude that virtually every processed food aavailable for consumption has been doesed with aluminum numerous times throughout its production"

Can you share some links? even if they're cheesy websites I'm interested to read

CoolTweetPete

Wow, even salt is screwed up.

I just checked a bottle of salt I keep by my desk at work, and I didn't find aluminum, but I did find Yellow Prussiate of Soda. Quick Wiki search,

Sodium ferrocyanide is the sodium salt of the coordination compound of formula [Fe(CN)6]4−. It is a yellow crystalline solid that is soluble in water and insoluble in alcohol. Despite the presence of the cyanide ligands, sodium ferrocyanide has low toxicity (acceptable daily intake 0–0.025 mg/kg body weight[2]). The ferrocyanides are less toxic than many salts of cyanide, because they tend not to release free cyanide.[3] However, like all ferrocyanide salt solutions, addition of an acid can result in the production of hydrogen cyanide gas, which is toxic. In its hydrous form, Na4Fe(CN)6·10H2O (sodium ferrocyanide decahydrate), it is sometimes known as yellow prussiate of soda. The yellow color is the color of ferrocyanide anion.

They do know we have stomach acids in our bodies, right? *Trash can

Love how they gave this toxic chemical a nice fancy name so we wouldn't recognize "cyanide".

Last edited:

schultz

Wow, even salt is screwed up.

I just checked a bottle of salt I keep by my desk at work, and I didn't find aluminum, but I did find Yellow Prussiate of Soda. Quick Wiki search,

Sodium ferrocyanide is the sodium salt of the coordination compound of formula [Fe(CN)6]4−. It is a yellow crystalline solid that is soluble in water and insoluble in alcohol. Despite the presence of the cyanide ligands, sodium ferrocyanide has low toxicity (acceptable daily intake 0–0.025 mg/kg body weight[2]). The ferrocyanides are less toxic than many salts of cyanide, because they tend not to release free cyanide.[3] However, like all ferrocyanide salt solutions, addition of an acid can result in the production of hydrogen cyanide gas, which is toxic. In its hydrous form, Na4Fe(CN)6·10H2O (sodium ferrocyanide decahydrate), it is sometimes known as yellow prussiate of soda. The yellow color is the color of ferrocyanide anion.

They do know we have stomach acids in our bodies, right? *Trash can

Love how they gave this toxic chemical a nice fancy name so we wouldn't recognize "cyanide".

Yah but wouldnt you rather have the convenience of uncaked salt? A good use of poison in my opinion... :eek:

Pointless

You can chelate it. Magnesium malate and silicic acid are thrown around as aluminum chelators.

keith

I use pickling salt, which is pure sodium chloride. It does cake; in fact, the salt in the original package became completely solid, and I need to smash it and bash it to break it apart every so often, so I can fill my shakers, which I sometimes have to shake really hard, or even whack with my hand, to break up the salt. I'm very lazy, and even I find it well worth this minor effort to avoid eating poisons. Once you break it up, it is just as granular as "regular" salt, even if the grains might be slightly (not really noticeably) larger.

CoolTweetPete

@keith

Good to know, thanks Keith. I'll have to get some pickling salt.

keith

keith

Only trust coarse salt:handpointup:

Even the Morton's coarse kosher salt has prussiate of soda in it. I have become a serial lable reader. My kids hate going shopping with me. Trying not to be poisoned is a full time job.

Only trust coarse salt outside of the United States :handpointup:

keith

achillea

I use pickling salt, which is pure sodium chloride. It does cake; in fact, the salt in the original package became completely solid, and I need to smash it and bash it to break it apart every so often, so I can fill my shakers, which I sometimes have to shake really hard, or even whack with my hand, to break up the salt. I'm very lazy, and even I find it well worth this minor effort to avoid eating poisons. Once you break it up, it is just as granular as "regular" salt, even if the grains might be slightly (not really noticeably) larger.

Mortons pickling salt is pure and does not contain anything else. It is the only salt that has been assayed to be mercury free by Dr. Hal Huggins

Aluminium (Aluminum) in Food and Foodprocessing, including other agents as well

Attachments

• 9789241660679_eng.pdf
    896.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 9789241660655_eng.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 16
  • activities-of-efsa-in-the-area-of-aluminium.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • RA35_Aluminium_in_Food_e.pdf
    152 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom