Diet For Hair Growth

CDT

Is there any dietary change or addition of a supplement that brought about coincidental improvements in hair density and thickness? I was wondering if any of you all had experiences in that regard. Thanks in advance for your time.

johnwester130

dairy
shellfish
liver
eggs

fruit
gelatin - 75 grams a day
low starch

salt/sugar/coconut oil/coffee

Runenight201

Animal fat and egg yolks improve my hair quality so much it’s ridiculous. Avoiding inflammatory foods is also key.

A couple of days ago i was experimenting with a high vegetable and fruit and low animal fat diet, and my hair quality noticeably decreased. It was very stressed, wavy, unkept, and greasy. I eat that bacon and egg yolks for one day and I’m back to really healthy, amazing looking hair, thicker, straighter, and manageable.

jzeno

@CDT

If deficient in any of the following, hair loss is a possibility:

Antioxidants
Amino Acids and Proteins
Biotin
Folic Acid
Vitamin E
Vitamin A
Vitamin D
Selenium
Fatty Acids
Niacin
Zinc
Iron

Diet and hair loss: effects of nutrient deficiency and supplement use

TBH, there are so many variables. It's hard to say "Do this and you'll get better hair", because in all likelihood our situations may be different.

For example, if I'm low in zinc and I eat zinc and I my hair becomes healthier and I share it with you but you already get enough zinc in your diet and you take extra zinc, your hair might fall out.

Maybe if you offer more specific information about your situation, someone might be able to offer a better suggestion.

Hopefully others will share their experiences, too

Edit: I will say that ever since I listened to Ray Peat and decided to jump on the OJ band wagon, my nails and quality of hair is improving. I think it's because I was dehydrated before and many nutrients were missing in my diet and OJ covers a lot of bases. So, like I said, my solution might not apply to you but that's one thing has worked for me. I plan to ramp up fresh juices once I buy myself a juicer. If the OJ worked, fresh stuff should work even better.

You can check my log for my latest eating habits for ideas: Jzeno Log: Recording Diet And Results

This guy (take it with a grain of salt) claims he was able to regrow his hair by going on a fruit-based diet. He may have succeeded because of improving his metabolism, like Peat recommends

Last edited:
D

danishispsychic

i agree with all y'all. eggs cooked in butter, ( runny yolks) bacon, ( uncured ) with a big ol 1/2 whole milk 1/2 strong coffee with lots of gelatin and sugar. eggs saved my hair . ( recovered vegan here )

redsun

My hair and nails grow way too fast it becomes a chore to deal with it but if its fast hair growth you want, high protein intake, particularly from meat will do the trick and increase hair growth. I say its a good problem to have though. Your hair is made of keratin, which is comprised of amino acids and minerals. You want more hair, eat more protein and minerals(bioavailable food sources of course).

olive

Apart from what’s been mentioned silica has been shown in a clinical setting to increase hair density and thickness dramatically. Horsetail tea is a good source.

Memento

Juicing seems to have positive impact on my hair thickness. Beets, carrots, celery, apples etc. Not very peaty but works better than OJ for me.

Jem Oz

I'm in a potential quandary. I've been trying a VLF experiment in a bid to lose weight. In 2 weeks, I've lost a noticeable amount of weight, eating 5 g of fat a day. I've felt fine. However my hair has suffered. It's started shedding and it generally feels weak. I don't know if it's the sudden significant metabolic change; or the sudden absence of fat; or the lowering of calories. Hard to isolate. My calories have ranged from 2000-2500 a day. High protein, high carb. I want the shedding to stop, but I also want to keep slimming down.

Problem is, I don't know what to tweak. Do I go back to moderate/high fat and keep the caloric deficit; do I keep the VLF and up the calories; do I stick with what I'm doing and ride it out because it's a brief response to the metabolic change....

My preference would be to increase fat again, purely because it allows for much more dietery variance. But from all I've read about weight loss on this forum, it seemed to me that going VLF made the most sense. There are people that literally say going VLF was the ONLY way they dropped weight.

Stramonium

If anything I've learned not to deprive my body of any macro nutrient (except for PUFAS) because it will make up for it one way or another

Runenight201

I'm in a potential quandary. I've been trying a VLF experiment in a bid to lose weight. In 2 weeks, I've lost a noticeable amount of weight, eating 5 g of fat a day. I've felt fine. However my hair has suffered. It's started shedding and it generally feels weak. I don't know if it's the sudden significant metabolic change; or the sudden absence of fat; or the lowering of calories. Hard to isolate. My calories have ranged from 2000-2500 a day. High protein, high carb. I want the shedding to stop, but I also want to keep slimming down.

Problem is, I don't know what to tweak. Do I go back to moderate/high fat and keep the caloric deficit; do I keep the VLF and up the calories; do I stick with what I'm doing and ride it out because it's a brief response to the metabolic change....

My preference would be to increase fat again, purely because it allows for much more dietery variance. But from all I've read about weight loss on this forum, it seemed to me that going VLF made the most sense. There are people that literally say going VLF was the ONLY way they dropped weight.

Are you eating starch? Also the fact that your hair is increasing it’s shedding is a sign of deteriorating health. Please do not continue whatever you’re doing lol.

Try including some egg yolks and swapping out all starch with fruits. I’m experimenting with cooking my fruits right now...I hope I’m on to something good. Raw fruit just seems to not be digesting well, and I’m hoping the cooking process makes a more friendly food.

Jem Oz

Please do not continue whatever you’re doing lol

No doy mate. But the entire point of my post was: I don't know WHICH aspect of my current regime is causing the damage. lol.

Forgot to mention I also cut out all starch. So it aint that.

Guess I'll keep experimenting. The other thought I had: maybe the sudden release of stored pufa from going VLF caused the shedding. Who knows.

olive

Dietary fat is necessary for hormonal production. The hair fall is likely due to a net drop in hormones across the board, including progesterone. I find it useful with clients to find the minimal effective dose for dietary fat (usually around 20-30g) and protein (usually 80-100g) then adjust carbohydrates up or down depending on their goals. I think it’s also important to eat according to the randle cycle (avoid eating carbs and fats at the same time). I eat fruits/rice throughout the day then coconut/chocolate at night.

Jem Oz

with clients to find the minimal effective dose for dietary fat (usually around 20-30g) and protein (usually 80-100g) then adjust carbohydrates up or down depending on their goals. I think it’s also important to eat according to the randle cycle (avoid eating carbs and fats at the same time). I eat fruits/rice throughout the day then coconut/chocolate at night.

Thanks for that @olive - genuinely helpful. I'd be interested to know what you think about weight loss. Do you think that a moderate caloric deficit, within the macro parameters you outlined, is the smart way forward? If so, how much do you rely on the standard TDEE calculators?

I don't mind if it takes me many months to slim down, I'm just looking for least health compromising way.

olive

Thanks for that @olive - genuinely helpful. I'd be interested to know what you think about weight loss. Do you think that a moderate caloric deficit, within the macro parameters you outlined, is the smart way forward? If so, how much do you rely on the standard TDEE calculators?

I don't mind if it takes me many months to slim down, I'm just looking for least health compromising way.
I don’t use TDEE calculators, not that there’s anything wrong with them but I find it’s easier to start everyone off on a standardardised diet (roughly 2000kcal - 25g fat, 80g protein, 500g carbs) for a week or two while measuring weight daily then adjust calorie intake (carbs) from there based on their goals. I find this two week period important to give the metabolism a chance to recover, a lot of my clients come to me after damage from chronically under eating - thyroid is trashed. And also to gauge metabolism so I can make more accurate estimates than TDEE. It’s also helpful as it increases compliance, I don’t find many of my clients struggle with keeping to a 2000kcal diet and once they are accustomed to the new diet we make subtle changes slowly over time (ie drop carb intake from 500g to 475g first week, 450g the next, 425g the next - assuming client’s goal is to lose weight).
It’s important to never compromise micronutrient intake. Track with chronometer to ensure you are hitting all targets. B1 and magnesium are essential for healthy carbohydrate metabolism - supplement these if you must.
Sufficient choline is essential to metabolise fatty acids from the liver and throughout the body. I opt for eggs. Most of my overweight clients suffer from NAFLD.
I also have my clients eat foods high in kaempferol, shown to increase T3 2.6 fold. Capers are the most affordable and commonly available source.
They are also instructed to drink cranberry juice for its low PUFA:vitamin E ratio.
Sunlight is essential.
Vitamin D supplementation in excess is harmful to metabolism. I find lots of my clients who come to me with weight issues are supplementing high doses of Vitamin D3 unknowingly lowering their metabolism.
On the same note, niacinamide in excess only hinders weightloss in my experience. 100mg in the morning is plenty. Don’t take it in the afternoon as it is a SERT1 activator.
I know Peat would disagree but I find supplemental iodine extremely useful. Kelp or potassium iodide are the sources I would opt for.
Coffee, of course.
Stretching increases T3. I have my clients stretch each morning.

Good luck.

dreamcatcher

Are you eating starch? Also the fact that your hair is increasing it’s shedding is a sign of deteriorating health. Please do not continue whatever you’re doing lol.

Try including some egg yolks and swapping out all starch with fruits. I’m experimenting with cooking my fruits right now...I hope I’m on to something good. Raw fruit just seems to not be digesting well, and I’m hoping the cooking process makes a more friendly food.
the effect of any diet on the hair can only be seen two months after starting a particular diet

nbznj

In my experience going below 15% dietary fat tends to become dangerous for hair health. Below 10% leaves the scalp very dry and squamous.

Usually throwing in a few eggs every day and some liver twice a week (cod, beef, whichever) helps right away.

Starch shouldn’t be a problem if fat is kept low enough, say 15/25% of the total caloric intake.

Ultimately I think this all boils down to insulin resistance and a healthy metabolism and the first steps are getting a ton of micro nutrients in and eating according to Randle like @olive says. Generally speaking over eating is what’s causing insulin resistance so, don’t force feed anything.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals