Dave Asprey Going Bald

Amazoniac

Add him to the birthday list!
No.

James and Lisa have clients. I'm slowly realizing that the weaker the person is, the less capable of handling isolated supplements he or she is going to be. Sometimes something as rudimentary as supplying the minerals in more or less the same proportions as those found in good food sources of the desired nutrient can be enough to attenuate the tendency to imbalances. Small amounts spread throughout the meals is also helpful.

Last edited:
OP
ddjd

ddjd

There is far more to baldness than diet. Dave Asprey is probably bald because he is a stress monster and overweight. There are thousands of people that are low carb that have full heads of hair. In fact there are people that have regrown hair, including myself, with a lower carb diet.
Can you tell us more about your approach. Is there a thread about it?

J

James IV

Can you tell us more about your approach. Is there a thread about it?

I don't really have an approach that I recommend to others. I think there is too much variability in humans to have a one size fits all diet.

My own diet is currently based on non lean animal foods, as well as nutritious (primarily) seeded vegetables, fruit, some roots/tubers, and some coconut and almonds.

My carbohydrate intake floats, depending on activity, but I never go low in fat or protein.

raypeatclips

I don't really have an approach that I recommend to others. I think there is too much variability in humans to have a one size fits all diet.

My own diet is currently based on non lean animal foods, as well as nutritious (primarily) seeded vegetables, fruit, some roots/tubers, and some coconut and almonds.

My carbohydrate intake floats, depending on activity, but I never go low in fat or protein.

Why almonds, they don't seem particularly high in any nutrient. Or do you just like them?

There is far more to baldness than diet. Dave Asprey is probably bald because he is a stress monster and overweight. There are thousands of people that are low carb that have full heads of hair. In fact there are people that have regrown hair, including myself, with a lower carb diet.

Vitamin d I think is one of if not the biggest factor in hair loss

You criticize him for taking test and other things. But I simply want to make a point: what is the difference between that and taking thyroid hormone like candy?
The thing is, I can actually imagine people that support him saying something similar about Danny Roddy, for instance: "he eats tons of sugar, but he takes thyroid every day. What a fraud"
I mean, seriously...

That's why I like your signature.

True.. Danny appears to be in good health, asprey does not to me

x-ray peat

Asprey gave his kid a stick of butter for his birthday. something is amiss at the Asprey house

J

James IV

Why almonds, they don't seem particularly high in any nutrient. Or do you just like them?

They are a good food source of vitamin E, and they seem to benefit my digestion. I don't have any negative response to them.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Dude, I think that you're one of the members that grew the most during this time. It's impressive how much you've widen your perspective and learned.
Where is this thread thanks

DuggaDugga

I don't think Dave is a total bad guy. I was actually into his work right before I discovered Peat through Danny Roddy. Dave was the first guy, along with Chris Kresser, whose work seemed to have been endorsed by some amount of science, which got me interested in researching for myself. His main issue, in my opinion, is that he doesn't consider physiology in context. Keto diets are a perfect example: people who are pro-keto dismiss the need for carbohydrates because the liver can perform gluconeogensis. Okay- but what about how the incredible inefficiency of gluconeogensis, what about how it's mediated by cortisol which has unequivocally negative implications, what about the development of advanced glycation endproducts being primary driven by ketone bodies (not carbohydrates, despite the name), what about anapleurosis supported by carbohydrates, etc, etc. They don't talk about any of that, because you can't sell that, and because they probably don't understand it anyways. Consumers want simplicity, a magic bullet for their health woes. As long as that's what consumers want there will be "biohackers" and pharmaceutical companies ready to collect with their simplified, mechanical understanding of the living state. That's why I love Ray, people like Ray, and this forum-- the living state is not simple, and we do ourselves a disservice to treat it as such.

jyb

Does anyone understand the butter in coffee thing? Double cream melts in coffee well and without the need for a mixer. My only explanation is that there is no cream where he lives, it's near impossible to find good dairy in places like California (and Kerygold butter? haha that's trash).