Dairy = Essential Or Deadly?

lampofred

I've noticed that during the weeks I strictly adhere to Peat's guidelines, I completely lose all motivation and ability to focus. A key dietary change I make whenever I start following Peat to the letter is to start drinking a tremendous amount of milk and eating a lot of butter, cheese, and ice cream. I initially thought me losing all motivation was me just lowering stress hormones, but I came across a website that listed early warning signs of Parkinson's, and the symptoms that worsen whenever I drink close to a gallon of milk a day are scarily similar: the biggest one is a complete lack of motivation and focus, and others are involuntary movements/shaking, shifts in handwriting, poor sense of smell, very stiff muscles, soft voice, expressionless face, dizziness upon standing up, and most recently, I've started stooping. I've always had very straight posture, but the stooping (lack of energy so severe that I can't bring myself to stand straight) started very recently after my most recent stunt of heavy dairy-eating. These are literally almost all of the warning signs on the website.

Naturally, I got scared, and I did more research on causes of Parkinson's disease. There are very few causes known, but two strong associations that have been found are pesticide exposure and dairy intake, especially in men. At this point, I got even more scared. I then looked at what protects people from Parkinson's, and there are only two things widely acknowledged as beneficial: coffee and cigarettes. Once I read that, I started freaking out because I feel my absolute best on days that I smoke a lot and drink a lot of coffee.

So I have all the warning signs of the early stages of Parkinson's, these symptoms get worse whenever I eat a lot of dairy which is associated with risk of Parkinson's, and these symptoms get better when I smoke cigarettes and drink coffee, which are two things associated with a lower risk of Parkinson's. It all adds up too well for me to continue consuming dairy.

I'm sure Peat is right when he says dairy and milk are wonderful for you, but he must be using higher quality or raw milk. Commercial milk seems to be low-quality, at least the milk I buy. I guess the point of this post is that if you're consuming lots of supermarket dairy products and you have similar symptoms, dropping dairy may be something to consider.

but two strong associations that have been found are pesticide exposure and dairy intake, especially in men.

That's why fat free dairy is the best. Toxins are stored in the fat of the animal. And you still get the calcium, casein and lactose.

T

tca300

J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014 Jul;62(7):1224-30.
Milk and dairy consumption and risk of dementia in an elderly Japanese population: the Hisayama Study.
Ozawa M1, Ohara T, Ninomiya T, Hata J, Yoshida D, Mukai N, Nagata M, Uchida K, Shirota T, Kitazono T, Kiyohara Y.
OBJECTIVES:
To determine the effect of milk and dairy intake on the development of all-cause dementia and its subtypes in an elderly Japanese population.
DESIGN:
Prospective cohort study.
SETTING:
The Hisayama Study, Japan.
PARTICIPANTS:
Individuals aged 60 and older without dementia (N = 1,081).
MEASUREMENTS:
Milk and dairy intake was estimated using a 70-item semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire grouped into quartiles. The risk estimates of milk and dairy intake on the development of all-cause dementia, Alzheimer's disease (AD), and vascular dementia (VaD) were computed using a Cox proportional hazards model.
RESULTS:
Over 17 years of follow-up, 303 subjects developed all-cause dementia; 166 had AD, and 98 had VaD. The age- and sex-adjusted incidence of all-cause dementia, AD, and VaD significantly decreased as milk and dairy intake level increased (P for trend = .03 for all-cause dementia, .04 for AD, .01 for VaD). After adjusting for potential confounders, the linear relationship between milk and dairy intake and development of AD remained significant (P for trend = .03), whereas the relationships with all-cause dementia and VaD were not significant. The risk of AD was significantly lower in the second, third, and fourth quartiles of milk and dairy intake than in the first quartile.
CONCLUSION:
Greater milk and dairy intake reduced the risk of dementia, especially AD, in the general Japanese population.
© 2014, Copyright the Authors Journal compilation © 2014, The American Geriatrics Society.

Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2000;1(4):277-282.
Milk Components as Cancer Chemopreventive Agents.
Tsuda H, Sekine K.
Experimental Pathology and Chemotherapy Division, National Cancer Center
Research Institute,Tokyo 104-0045, Japan [email protected]
Since milk and dairy products constitute very important ingredients of the
western style diet, a large number of epidemiological studies have been
conducted to determine effects of their consumption on neoplastic development.
However, reflecting the variety of included components, the data are to some
extent equivocal. It has been proposed that whereas fats in general might
promote tumour development, individual milk fats like conjugated linoleic acid
and glycosh\ingolipids could exert inhibitory effects. There is also
considerable evidence that calcium in milk products protects against colon
cancer, while promoting in the prostate through suppression of circulating
levels of 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D. Whey protein may also be beneficial, as shown
by both animal and human studies, and experimental data have demonstrated that
the major component bovine lactoferrin (bLF), inhibits colon carcinogenesis in
the post-initiation stage in male F344 rats treated with azoxymethane (AOM)
without any overt toxicity. Results in other animal models have provided further
indications that bovine lactoferrin might find application as a natural
ingredient of milk with potential for chemoprevention of colon and other
cancers.

Clin Exp Metastasis. 2011 Oct;28(7):675-88.
Dairy milk fat augments paclitaxel therapy to suppress tumour metastasis in mice,
and protects against the side-effects of chemotherapy.
Sun X(1), Zhang J, Gupta R, Macgibbon AK, Kuhn-Sherlock B, Krissansen GW.
(1)Lactopharma Consortium, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
Milk fat is a natural product containing essential nutrients as well as fatty
acids and other food factors with reported anti-cancer potential. Here bovine
milk fat was tested for its ability to inhibit the growth of breast and colon
cancers and their metastasis to the lung and liver; either alone or in
combination with the chemotherapeutic agent paclitaxel. A diet containing 5%
typical anhydrous milk fat (representing ~70% of the total dietary fat component)
fed to Balb/c mice delayed the appearance of subcutaneous 4T1 breast and CT26
colon cancer tumours and inhibited their metastasis to the lung and liver, when
compared to the control diet containing soybean oil as the only fat component. It
augmented the inhibitory effects of paclitaxel on tumour growth and metastasis,
and reduced the microvessel density of tumours. It displayed no apparent organ
toxicity, but instead was beneficial for well-being of tumour-bearing mice by
maintaining gastrocnemius muscle and epididymal adipose tissue that were
otherwise depleted by cachexia. The milk fat diet ameliorated gut damage caused
by paclitaxel in non-tumour-bearing mice, as evidenced by retention of jejunal
morphology, villi length and intestinal γ-glutamyl transpeptidase activity, and
inhibition of crypt apoptosis. It prevented loss of red and white blood cells due
to both cancer-mediated immunosuppression and the cytotoxic effects of
chemotherapy. The present study warrants the use of milk fat as an adjuvant to
inhibit tumour metastasis during cancer chemotherapy, and to spare patients from
the debilitating side-effects of cytotoxic drugs.

Almost all foods have some downsides. I think weighing the positives and negatives, seeing which way the scale tips can help decide whether to consume it or not.

Brian

I'm sure higher quality dairy is drastically healthier in many ways especially long term, but I think the most common reason for a negative reaction to any kind of dairy (or any animal protein) is insufficient stomach acid. A glob of undigested casein, calcium, and possibly lactose as well moving through the intestine is likely to encourage a harmful profile of micro flora to thrive affecting your whole system. It may also decrease the digestibility of the food you eat with a large amount of dairy, further decreasing the total nutrition you absorbed and feeding of pathogenic flora.

Also I suspect that high calcium intake is overly excitoxic in people who don't have high enough intracellular magnesium, which is very common in anyone who has suboptimal thyroid levels for awhile. Further calcifying of cells will disrupt energy production even more.

While my experience agrees with Peat that high calcium intake can be very beneficial in the right circumstances, I think many people should focus on fat solubles, sodium, magnesium, zinc, and probably selenium first to ensure that calcium is metabolized correctly with plenty of stomach acid and that all of the necessary carrier proteins are present in the blood in abundance.

Last edited:

burtlancast

Pesticide In Milk May Be Linked To Parkinson's Disease | The Huffington Post

"
The findings suggest that diet may play a role in the development of Parkinson’s disease, the researchers said. However, the new results do not show a cause-and-effect relationship between the pesticide or milk and Parkinson’s disease. Rather, they show there is an association between these factors, they said.

“The vast majority of milk consumers do not get Parkinson’s disease,” Abbott told Live Science.

Chen, who wrote an editorial on the findings that is also published today in the journal, noted that the men’s milk consumption was measured only once at the start of the study. The study assumes that “this measurement represented participants’ dietary habits over time,” but this may not have been the case, he said in a statement."

burtlancast

Our Messed-Up Milk Supply Has Been Tied to Parkinson's Disease

Parkinson’s Disease Has Been Linked to Drinking Milk

Proving once and for all that environmental factors are and will continue to be an important, if not crucial, factor in your health, a study has found that a pesticide widely used in the early 80s—and which found its way into our nation’s supply of cow’s milk—may be the cause of Parkinson’s disease emerging in people today.

Researchers have long speculated that contaminants and chemicals found in milk—especially milk produced in the early- to mid-80s—directly contributed to the spread of Parkinson’s, yet little to no evidence actually existed. That is, until Robert Abbott and the rest of his team at Japan’s Shiga University of Medical Science began thinking about an environmental scandal that took place in Hawaii during that time period. And it involved pineapples.

Here’s what went down: A pesticide called heptachlor epoxide was used for insect control by the pineapple industry back then. The pesticide found its way into cow feed and then into the cows’ milk. Abbott and his team were able to take advantage of data that was collected for a study of heart disease in Japanese-American men living in Hawaii at that time. The study followed the men from mid-life to death, providing all kinds of information about them, including what they ate. Some of the men even agreed to donate their brains upon their death for research purposes. Abbott looked at 449 of these brains.

What he found was that the men who drank more than two cups of milk a day had 40 percent fewer brain cells in an area of their brains related to Parkinson’s disease. In addition, residue of the pesticide was also found in the brains of 90 percent of the men who drank the most milk—compared to just 63 percent of those who didn’t drink any milk at all. Ipso facto: pretty clear correlation between pesticide and Parkinson’s.

The good news is that the commercial sale of this particular pesticide in agriculture was banned in the United States by 1988. But, of course, there’s bad news: a similar compound is used today for controlling fire ants in electrical grid machinery.

Although there are no longer any samples of the milk around for researchers to test, the scientists are convinced that the pesticides in the milk are what led to the increased rates of Parkinson’s. Abbott said that they “just have no other explanation for how heptachlor epoxide found its way into the brains of men who consumed milk.” The study, published this week in the journal Neurology, is important because it quite clearly ties a pesticide to a detrimental brain change—not always the easiest connection to prove.

As usual, the researchers don’t want you to be alarmed: “The vast majority of milk consumers do not get Parkinson’s disease,” Abbott told Live Science. He did say, however, that people should be careful about eating food that may contain pesticides.
And if you’re feeling a little sketchy about milk after hearing this, consider some good news that just came out about milk of late: A new study says that milk collected from cows at night can be used to treat both anxiety and insomnia, thanks to significantly higher levels of tryptophan and melatonin found in the milk of these sleepy cows.

So the next time you’re in the supermarket, instead of buying low-fat, calcium-enriched milk with DHA-omega 3, look for the milk from the sleepy cow that lived a pristine life with no pesticide exposure. That’s the milk you want.

jyb

I then looked at what protects people from Parkinson's, and there are only two things widely acknowledged as beneficial: coffee and cigarettes. Once I read that, I started freaking out because I feel my absolute best on days that I smoke a lot and drink a lot of coffee.

So I have all the warning signs of the early stages of Parkinson's, these symptoms get worse whenever I eat a lot of dairy which is associated with risk of Parkinson's, and these symptoms get better when I smoke cigarettes and drink coffee, which are two things associated with a lower risk of Parkinson's. It all adds up too well for me to continue consuming dairy.

Feeling good on cigs and coffee is quite common, do not take that as sign of Parkinson's :) If you live in the US or if what you call dairy is homogenised milk from the store (whether full fat or 0% fat), then I am not surprised you do poorly on dairy.

Richiebogie

Hi @lampofred,

I get digestive trouble on milk, yoghurt, ricotta, feta etc, but tolerate mature cheddar well.

Perhaps try 50g parmasan cheese each day for a week as your only source of dairy and see if you feel better.

If that is ok then you could try a different dairy food the next week. You will soon have a personal list of good and bad foods.

tankasnowgod

I initially thought me losing all motivation was me just lowering stress hormones, but I came across a website that listed early warning signs of Parkinson's, and the symptoms that worsen whenever I drink close to a gallon of milk a day are scarily similar: the biggest one is a complete lack of motivation and focus, and others are involuntary movements/shaking, shifts in handwriting, poor sense of smell, very stiff muscles, soft voice, expressionless face, dizziness upon standing up, and most recently, I've started stooping.

So, I'm gonna be the one to ask the obvious question...... why are you drinking close to a gallon of milk a day? If 1%, that's close to 2,000 calories from a single food source. It sounds like you're eating other foods in addition to that, too. If so, I would think all of those "symptoms" you mentioned are simply from eating waaaaay to much food, and maybe consuming too many liquids.

Also, as someone who experimented a bit with "The Milk Diet," I can tell you that a sudden upward shift in your calcium intake can be highly constipating. Suddenly upping your calcium intake by about 3,000 to 4,000 mg a day will certainly do that, and maybe trigger some of those things you mentioned.

tankasnowgod

@Brian
What u said is amazing

How to improve the stomach acid ?

There's a couple different things you could do. Probably the most popular around here is supplementing the amino acid Taurine, which is a key component for digestive juices. I've also heard upping salt is good (the cloride supposedly helps to make hydrocloridic acid). There's also supplements like Ox Bile, Digestive Enzymes, and Beatine HCL that you can take directly.

Parsifal

I have tried fat free dairy for a while when I've started Peating and it does not work at all for me. I was starting to become really fat very quickly like a lot of people here, I'm just starting to get fit again. Full fat dairy was even worse.

I am always bloated and feeling mental fog and lack of motivation on dairy, even when I was trying to reduce tryptophan from it, taking organic milk without hormones or bad things in it, etc, etc. I even get bad symptoms just by eating lactose or casein aloe. I think that dairy is for babies, not adults. I remember a lady saying that when she had a baby, her baby always had a bloated belly, and since she had too much milk she decided to give it to her husband. He became bloated as well.

I'm pretty that if you already have dysbiosis, fibers in milk can be damaging as well. I guess that casein acting as an opioid could be inflammatory and slow down peristaltism and MMC, raise histamines (by the way cheese is full of histamines, I think feta and mozzarella are the only cheeses without histamines).

But if it works for other folks here, fine. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people might feel better off of it though. Again, I think that Peat ignores a lot of things about the gut microbiome, and the effects of dairy and fructose on it.

redlight

is insufficient stomach acid. A glob of undigested casein, calcium, and

I started taking Betaine + Digestive Enzymes + GlutenDairy Digest - Dietary Supplement Enzyme Blend for Healthy Gluten and Dairy and i noticed significantly more energy...

Agent207

Essential for what? Is there any single "essential" thing in the diet for life, aside water?

Dairy can be an excellent diet food or a health destroyer, and anything between both. I think is much about SOURCE; raw milk dairy from a2 cows or goat, vs commercial pasteurized one.

Last edited:

Elize

I experienced the same the last 2 days. I also developed a sore throat. Started dairy after not having it for years. Culprit I may have found - I think is the Organic Pasture Raised version of cream I used. To find that it contains gluten. EEssh so now wonder what I can have in my one cup of coffee a day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals