Crown Price Oysters WARNING!

cyclops

I'd guess many people eat these since they seem to be the most readily available oysters in a non-offensive oil (olive oil). I just noticed on the side of the box it reads:
943fd04e-2677-4ab1-803c-168daabc0c49_2.a99cd2082e45e0b67657dd619ac84619.png

Dont mind the "with red chili pepper" it is exactly the same on the "naturally smoke oysters in pure olive oil" can.

Anyone have any idea what this is about? May have to stop eating these.

Also does anyone have a recommendation for a better brand of canned oysters? Maybe there is something better out there (besides fresh) that I haven't been able to find.

Last edited:

schultz

Is it Progesterone?

Lol j/k

I imagine its whatever is used to get the smoke flavour.

D

danishispsychic

probs the BPA from the inside of the can. either way- gross.

Fame

Anyone have any idea what this is about?

I dont know much about it; but I have seen that exact warning somewhere before. A few months back I went to the hardware store to purchase a replacement metal door lock. That exact warning was on the package on the back. I asked the guy who worked there but he didnt really know, just mentioning it had to do with their laws and such. Obviously, this is different, since you woudnt eat a lock lol, but I figured I would mention this.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

A few months back I went to the hardware store to purchase a replacement metal door lock. That exact warning was on the package on the back. I asked the guy who worked there but he didnt really know, just mentioning it had to do with their laws and such. Obviously, this is different, since you woudnt eat a lock lol, but I figured I would mention this.

So the lock can cause birth defects just from touching it? Yeezus, what is the world coming to? They have to put toxic chemicals on everything.

Fame

So the lock can cause birth defects just from touching it? Yeezus, what is the world coming to? They have to put toxic chemicals on everything.

Yeah I am not too sure. I wish I kept the packaging so I could post a pic of the warning itself; it may have been worded slightly different. And as silly as it sounds, I didnt want to touch the lock at first either :p

Herbie

Doesn't everything in California cause cancer?

I bought a sleeping bag filled with duck down from Colorado and its got the California cancer warning on it.

*it only causes cancer if its used in California, its ok in the other states.

squanch

Lurker

Starbucks coffee, McDonald’s french fries, and Disneyland all have similar Prop 65 warnings. The note is a CYA more than anything so they can’t be sued by morally hazardous lawyers. It’s interesting but not informative.

Sheila

Dear Cyclops,
I can not be sure about the source of lead or cadmium here but anything biological that accumulates zinc may also, especially if zinc is deficient, or cadmium is in excess, accumulate cadmium as well or instead due to their physiochemical similarities. This does not mean that cadmium's properties are similar to zinc when it comes to biological effect. The same is true for calcium deficiency and lead uptake. 'Fast' metabolisms tend to pick up more, at least according to hair tests, FWTW, and excretion should be faster too except cadmium tends to compromise kidney function and lead active removal pathways are poor to non-existent. In heavy metal poisoning, slow metabolisms may be a biological adaptation to reduce heavy metal toxic effect as well as an inducerof, slower metabolism.

I trust this is in some way helpful.
Kind regards,
Sheila

achillea

Just listened to Ray Peat interview with John Barkhausen on Progesterone 3. he said in the 60's they started labeling everything with a cancer risk so that the real cancer causers could go into obscurity, like soot, radiation, smog and the other really bad chemicals. it was a hoax by the government to cover up cancer causing pollution and to let industry carry on with no restraints.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

I'm not sure why so many people here eat those anyway. You can get the same Korean farmed oysters frozen at most asian supermarkets.

For me its a matter of cost. These have like a dozen oysters in a can for $2.99 whereas the cheapest I've seen fresh or farmed oysters is a dollar a piece so that would be $12 at best, but usually more. I would buy them fresh or farmed if it was more beneficial, but I dont think it really is (someone correct me if thats wrong). I think its just a matter of taste, since I dislike the taste either way the canned makes more sense for me.

squanch

For me its a matter of cost. These have like a dozen oysters in a can for $2.99 whereas the cheapest I've seen fresh or farmed oysters is a dollar a piece so that would be $12 at best, but usually more. I would buy them fresh or farmed if it was more beneficial, but I dont think it really is (someone correct me if thats wrong). I think its just a matter of taste, since I dislike the taste either way the canned makes more sense for me.
No I was talking about the frozen oysters. Those are even cheaper than the canned ones, you don't have any problems with potential toxins from smoking/cans/oils and it's actually exactly the same oysters (both farmed oysters from Korea).

Last edited:

giles

Hello All:

My name is Andrea Linton; I am the Manager of the Natural Products Division of Crown Prince. Our Crown Prince Natural oysters are from South Korea, not from China. There are a few brands that offer oysters from countries other than China but China is the primary source so one does have to read labels carefully. Regarding concerns about lead and cadmium in shellfish please see the following link: Label Warnings | Crown Prince Inc. . Our Crown Prince Natural Smoked Oysters are packed in real olive oil. Our participation in The Non-GMO Project means that we have supplied documentation from our ingredient suppliers as to the origin and composition of ingredients. This documentation as been verified by Food Chain, acting as the independant certifier for The Non-GMO Project. I hope that this information helps.
**From the comment section of: Canned oyster brand comparison - Toxinless. Doesn't seem that risky.