Conor McGregors Nutritional Coach A Possible Peatarian?

Mr.Tayto

Hey everybody, just watched Joe Rogans podcast with George Lockhart (nutritional coach) and John Kavanagh (martials arts coach) and noticed alot of similarities in his nutritional coaching and the teachings of Ray Peat, some info about Sodium/potasium ratios, about how much glucose a muscle can store and what to eat after particluar kinds of training i.e. grappling,striking and weights.

Speaks a bit a metabolism and how to fuel when over trained. A really good podcast with 2 genuine guys worth the look!

OP
M

Mr.Tayto

Wow! Ok i must look that Stan guy up too then so. Great to know that Conor is a somewhat,almost hopefully totally a Peaterian!!!
George talks about omega 3s and 6s being beneficial though...

fujija

Hey everybody, just watched Joe Rogans podcast with George Lockhart (nutritional coach) and John Kavanagh (martials arts coach) and noticed alot of similarities in his nutritional coaching and the teachings of Ray Peat, some info about Sodium/potasium ratios, about how much glucose a muscle can store and what to eat after particluar kinds of training i.e. grappling,striking and weights.

Speaks a bit a metabolism and how to fuel when over trained. A really good podcast with 2 genuine guys worth the look!

Got a time stamp for when they start discussing nutrition?

I would really love if Rogan would get someone on to talk about nutrition other than the normal guests who confirm his keto bull****

pisser

he never said he avoids pufas, but he does praise sugar and caffeine.

Got a time stamp for when they start discussing nutrition?

I would really love if Rogan would get someone on to talk about nutrition other than the normal guests who confirm his keto bull****

Well, he had Joel Kahn, and that was a very good one.

It’s nice noting that the high fat bias, so omnipresent in the blogosphere, is constantly challenged by real life people. The ”broscientists”.

Take a dude like Masterjohn who’s probably never lifted a dumbbell - claims gelatin (or was it glycine) is going to yield massive muscle gains. Nerds all day on fat fueled muscles. On anabolic liposoluble vitamins. Probably has some XYZ randomized controlled trial to back up his claims, never ever acknowledging how unhealthy their “healthy” subjects are.

Nearly every single time I read a study, the fasted insulin level of said “healthy” subjects is 2 digits. Cool story their glucose is “normal”... I wouldn’t be scared of losing money if I had to bet all of it on athletes having 1 digit fasted insulin levels. Actually, 5 iu or less = pretty damn optimal glucose metabolism. Essentially a whole different species compared to the “healthy” subjects in studies.

Then, in those truly healthy athletes, it’s always the same story: laser focus on micronutrition, essential fats with a proper ratio, carbs, lean protein. Peat is only confirming what’s normal in our human genre; his only difference is the PUFA scare which is probably not a thing in the context discussed in JRE.

rei

Actually there is quite little peatarian in what he says, sounds more like a balanced mainstream approach with an emphasis on modern human studies.

Last edited:

rvan killian

Unfortunately Stan Efferding preaches avoiding coffee due to its dehydration effects, I could never give it up.

fujija

Well, he had Joel Kahn, and that was a very good one.

Just out of curiosity what did you like about that Rogan episode? Just listened to it they basically argued for 3 hours about saturated fat and cholesterol and then about TMAO and fish for like half an hour. It was a circular conversation from 20 mins in till the end.

What did you take from it? I'm genuinely curios because I found it very tedious listening to these guys. Kahn in particular did a terrible job arguing any of his point his the get go.

jitsmonkey

ugh, listening to Joe and his guests on topics related to health, fitness and nutrition is like taking advice from the captain of the football team on how to pass AP Calculus. #KingOfTheBros.
(apologies to the ONE HS Football team captain on here who did better than me in AP Calc)

fujija

ugh, listening to Joe and his guests on topics related to health, fitness and nutrition is like taking advice from the captain of the football team on how to pass AP Calculus. #KingOfTheBros.

Agreed. This was one was slightly better in that he was more mediating between two doctors who disagree with each other, keeping the conversation on track. But yeah, they normally suck. This one wasn't much better.

I think it was nice to have someone with Kahn's background confront Kresser ultra strict view of RCTs being the be all end all way to do science. I am very much tired of researchers who dismiss other areas of science while talking about "healthy user bias" anytime something isn't agreeing with their bias.

Granted, Kahn's bias was a bit too much, but I find it refreshing that the "high fat is bad is a myth" myth gets eroded on a larger audience.

D'Agostino and Norton's discussion was good too. Whenever he has Rhonda Patrick around it's good as well.

or maybe some of the guests know much better and it's painful to admit?

KennethKaniff

I think it was nice to have someone with Kahn's background confront Kresser ultra strict view of RCTs being the be all end all way to do science. I am very much tired of researchers who dismiss other areas of science while talking about "healthy user bias" anytime something isn't agreeing with their bias.

Granted, Kahn's bias was a bit too much, but I find it refreshing that the "high fat is bad is a myth" myth gets eroded on a larger audience.

D'Agostino and Norton's discussion was good too. Whenever he has Rhonda Patrick around it's good as well.

Kahn didn't even challenge high fat or low carb. He was totally focused on saturated fat and dietary cholesterol, which is silly.

olive

Unfortunately Stan Efferding preaches avoiding coffee due to its dehydration effects, I could never give it up.
Stan recommends coffee post workout with salt, dextrose and fructose to replenish glycogen.

olive

I wonder why he would recommend dextrose plus fructose rather than just sucrose?
I believe it’s so more carbs are assimilated into the muscle quicker as they use different pathways. Also liver preferentially takes fructose IIRC.

KennethKaniff

I believe it’s so more carbs are assimilated into the muscle quicker as they use different pathways. Also liver preferentially takes fructose IIRC.

Dextrose is just glucose though. Sucrose is already a perfect 50:50 ratio of glucose and fructose. In studies I've seen, sucrose outperforms both glucose and fructose for replenishing glycogen post-workout.

olive

Dextrose is just glucose though. Sucrose is already a perfect 50:50 ratio of glucose and fructose. In studies I've seen, sucrose outperforms both glucose and fructose for replenishing glycogen post-workout.
Wasn’t aware. I’m not sure his reasoning, sorry.

jitsmonkey

I sincerely would love that. But I stand by what I said. Joe is King Bro and his guests are a joke.
Especially that fraud Rhonda Patrick.
Give it a rest. Joe's media outlet is the LAST place anyone should be seeking health/fitness/nutrition advice.

Back
Top Bottom