Cause Of Excessive Sweating

brix

The last few years I have developed excessive sweating.
My TSH is over 3, FT4 is at 1.00 and Ft3 is near upper range.
I, however, feel pretty warm constantly and sweat WAY more than my friends doing the same activities.
Does anyone know what the could might be?

Supplementation seems to do nothing for me...
Currently on androsterone (1-3mg daily), pansterone (3 drops), and vitamin k2 at around 4mg.

Thanks!

lampofred

I remember reading somewhere that high serotonin (and the resulting anxiety) is a cause of excessive sweating.

success23

Try to increase dopamine and GABA. High acetylcholine can cause it.Oral drugs that are prescribed by doctors to stop sweating are usually anticholinergics ( they reduce acethylcholine). Luckily dopamine and gaba balance exessive acetylcholine :)

IF you have a lot of head sweating - it means you are low in calcium

ddjd

i thought sweating is a great sign of good metabolism.

CoolTweetPete

I think dopamine agonists like adamantane have been most successful in helping control my sweat rate. This would indicate it could have been low dopamine for me. Serotonin antagonists worked but not nearly as effectively.

OP
B

brix

i thought sweating is a great sign of good metabolism.

It is but it seems excessive. 10 minutes into skating and I'm drenched. Even in 40 degree weather. I used to be able to skate for 3 hours with no sweat in the same weather.

OP
B

brix

I think dopamine agonists like adamantane have been most successful in helping control my sweat rate. This would indicate it could have been low dopamine for me. Serotonin antagonists worked but not nearly as effectively.

Awesome. I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks.

LUH 3417

I emailed RP about sweating and this was the response:

You mentioned that the sweating started when you were a child—around what age was it? Have you checked your oral or eardrum temperature when you are having one of the episodes with chills? The sense of chilling usually goes with a sudden rise in body temperature, triggered by a change in the regulatory hormones. Over-activity of the parasympathetic nervous system can cause localized sweating without over-heating; have you had blood tests for thyroid, vitamin D, cortisol, and other hormones?

1. Auton Neurosci. 2012 Apr 3;167(1-2):34-8.
Alterations in cardiovascular autonomic function tests in idiopathic
hyperhidrosis.
De Marinis M, Colaizzo E, Petrelli RA, Santilli V.
Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, "Sapienza" University, Rome, Italy.
[email protected]
We performed cardiovascular autonomic function tests to assess sympathetic and
parasympathetic functions in patients with idiopathic hyperhidrosis. We studied
35 patients with idiopathic hyperhidrosis and 35 age- and sex-matched controls. A
thermoregulatory sweat test (TST) was performed in all subjects. Sweating was
qualitatively (Minor's test at 22°C) and quantitatively (skin conductance)
evaluated. Orthostatism, tilt to 65°, cold pressor test, deep breathing, Valsalva
maneuver and hyperventilation were performed in patients and controls. A greater
fall in blood pressure values was observed in patients than in controls in the
upright tests (p<0.05). In particular, postural hypotension was present in a
subgroup of patients (34%), in whom changes in lying-to-standing blood pressure
and heart rate were greater (p<0.001) than those of the remaining patients. The
TST revealed that the total body sweat rate (ml/cm(2)/min) was more pronounced in
patients with postural hypotension (p<0.001) than in the other patients and
controls. The skin conductance values of patients with postural hypotension were
higher (p<0.001) than those of the remaining patients. A positive correlation was
found between skin conductance values and postural hypotension. Dehydration and
poor water intake may play a role in postural hypotension in patients with severe
hyperhidrosis and pronounced thermoregulatory sweating. A significantly marked
increase in parasympathetic function was observed in patients. Responses to deep
breathing, Valsalva maneuver and hyperventilation were significantly greater in
patients (p<0.001) than in controls. Idiopathic hyperhidrosis seems to be a
complex dysfunction that involves autonomic pathways other than those related to
sweating.

2. Radiat Med. 1986 Apr-Jun;4(2):46-50.
N-isopropyl I-123 p-iodoamphetamine brain scans with single photon emission
computed tomography: mental sweating and EEG abnormality.
Momose T, Kunimoto M, Nishikawa J, Kasaka N, Ohtake T, Iio M.
We studied a patient with hyperhidrosis and electroencephalographic (EEG)
abnormality using N-isopropyl I-123 p-iodoamphetamine (I-123 IMP) with single
photon emission computed tomography (SPECT). EEG abnormality was found
predominantly in the frontal area, and sharp wave bursts were induced by
hyperventilation. Ictal and nonictal scans were obtained with simultaneous EEG
recordings. Ictal scans revealed increased uptake of IMP in the frontal cortex,
reflecting hyperperfusion to the frontal area. The ratio of IMP uptake of the
frontal to the parietal cortex (F/P ratio) was calculated both in the ictal and
nonictal phase. In the ictal phase, the F/P ratio was 1.23, compared with 0.91 in
the nonictal phase. The data indicated altered regional cerebral blood flow with
EEG abnormality and hyperventilation load. Although the relationship between
sweating and cortical function is not fully understood, our study indicates that
excessive mental sweating is related to frontal cortical dysfunction. I-123
IMP-SPECT seems valuable for topographical demonstration of epileptogenic lesions
and understanding the pathophysiological process of mental sweating.

Regina

I emailed RP about sweating and this was the response:

You mentioned that the sweating started when you were a child—around what age was it? Have you checked your oral or eardrum temperature when you are having one of the episodes with chills? The sense of chilling usually goes with a sudden rise in body temperature, triggered by a change in the regulatory hormones. Over-activity of the parasympathetic nervous system can cause localized sweating without over-heating; have you had blood tests for thyroid, vitamin D, cortisol, and other hormones?

1. Auton Neurosci. 2012 Apr 3;167(1-2):34-8.
Alterations in cardiovascular autonomic function tests in idiopathic
hyperhidrosis.
De Marinis M, Colaizzo E, Petrelli RA, Santilli V.
Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, "Sapienza" University, Rome, Italy.
[email protected]
We performed cardiovascular autonomic function tests to assess sympathetic and
parasympathetic functions in patients with idiopathic hyperhidrosis. We studied
35 patients with idiopathic hyperhidrosis and 35 age- and sex-matched controls. A
thermoregulatory sweat test (TST) was performed in all subjects. Sweating was
qualitatively (Minor's test at 22°C) and quantitatively (skin conductance)
evaluated. Orthostatism, tilt to 65°, cold pressor test, deep breathing, Valsalva
maneuver and hyperventilation were performed in patients and controls. A greater
fall in blood pressure values was observed in patients than in controls in the
upright tests (p<0.05). In particular, postural hypotension was present in a
subgroup of patients (34%), in whom changes in lying-to-standing blood pressure
and heart rate were greater (p<0.001) than those of the remaining patients. The
TST revealed that the total body sweat rate (ml/cm(2)/min) was more pronounced in
patients with postural hypotension (p<0.001) than in the other patients and
controls. The skin conductance values of patients with postural hypotension were
higher (p<0.001) than those of the remaining patients. A positive correlation was
found between skin conductance values and postural hypotension. Dehydration and
poor water intake may play a role in postural hypotension in patients with severe
hyperhidrosis and pronounced thermoregulatory sweating. A significantly marked
increase in parasympathetic function was observed in patients. Responses to deep
breathing, Valsalva maneuver and hyperventilation were significantly greater in
patients (p<0.001) than in controls. Idiopathic hyperhidrosis seems to be a
complex dysfunction that involves autonomic pathways other than those related to
sweating.

2. Radiat Med. 1986 Apr-Jun;4(2):46-50.
N-isopropyl I-123 p-iodoamphetamine brain scans with single photon emission
computed tomography: mental sweating and EEG abnormality.
Momose T, Kunimoto M, Nishikawa J, Kasaka N, Ohtake T, Iio M.
We studied a patient with hyperhidrosis and electroencephalographic (EEG)
abnormality using N-isopropyl I-123 p-iodoamphetamine (I-123 IMP) with single
photon emission computed tomography (SPECT). EEG abnormality was found
predominantly in the frontal area, and sharp wave bursts were induced by
hyperventilation. Ictal and nonictal scans were obtained with simultaneous EEG
recordings. Ictal scans revealed increased uptake of IMP in the frontal cortex,
reflecting hyperperfusion to the frontal area. The ratio of IMP uptake of the
frontal to the parietal cortex (F/P ratio) was calculated both in the ictal and
nonictal phase. In the ictal phase, the F/P ratio was 1.23, compared with 0.91 in
the nonictal phase. The data indicated altered regional cerebral blood flow with
EEG abnormality and hyperventilation load. Although the relationship between
sweating and cortical function is not fully understood, our study indicates that
excessive mental sweating is related to frontal cortical dysfunction. I-123
IMP-SPECT seems valuable for topographical demonstration of epileptogenic lesions
and understanding the pathophysiological process of mental sweating.
I'm not quite comprehending the final Peat word. Is it better to sweat or not.

I noted tonight training (aikido) with windows open and lots of throwing, that 1) the fresh air felt an order of magnitude better than the horrible HVAC heat; but 2) I was sweating like a beast.
Our uniforms are stupidly bulky (judo gi) plus heavy stupid hakama (skirt) with all these heavy wrap around belts. But I also noticed that two other high ranking females were fresh as daisies. They simply never break into a sweat. They stayed for a second class. I had perhaps misunderstood that NOT sweating was indicative of hypothyroidism.

Lecarpetron

I can attest that I sweated a lot when my metabolism was at its worst. I lived in a tropical climate, but the ambient air heat transfer just kinda increased stress instead of core body temp. It could be 90 degrees outside and my temp wouldn't go above 96.0, yet I'd be miserably hot and sweating.

One of the things that helped me with this was trying Steve Richfield's Temperature Reset thing. While it didn't "work" per se, all the hot baths and hot clothes slowly made my body...hmm, what's the right word...absorb warmth instead of convert it to stress.

It's easy to tell whether sweat is good or bad - check your body temp. If it's 98.7, great. If it's 95.7, it's just stress.

Regina

I can attest that I sweated a lot when my metabolism was at its worst. I lived in a tropical climate, but the ambient air heat transfer just kinda increased stress instead of core body temp. It could be 90 degrees outside and my temp wouldn't go above 96.0, yet I'd be miserably hot and sweating.

One of the things that helped me with this was trying Steve Richfield's Temperature Reset thing. While it didn't "work" per se, all the hot baths and hot clothes slowly made my body...hmm, what's the right word...absorb warmth instead of convert it to stress.

It's easy to tell whether sweat is good or bad - check your body temp. If it's 98.7, great. If it's 95.7, it's just stress.
Thanks Lecarpetron. My body temps usually run about 97.4. Yep. I need to get a tad warmer core.

JDreamer

Try to increase dopamine and GABA. High acetylcholine can cause it.Oral drugs that are prescribed by doctors to stop sweating are usually anticholinergics ( they reduce acethylcholine). Luckily dopamine and gaba balance exessive acetylcholine :)

IF you have a lot of head sweating - it means you are low in calcium

I have a sweating issue - much of which from the armpits. I tried GABA one time and that stuff made me sweat something fierce. I was at a bar with some friends and I swear my body was overheating.

OP
B

brix

Thank you for posting that, it's great to hear from Peat on the issue!

@brix
For me the issue is extreme sweating from the armpit area, it happens in cold or heat. It is totally different than going for a walk in really hot weather. Is it like this for you as well?

I'll also add for others that I have noticed this issue with bodytemps of 99 to 100 degrees and it is not a good relaxed state. If the heat were due to Thyroid the feeling would be much different as I have experienced warmness, with calmness without the sweating and it is totally different. It is like an inability to think and perceive clearly, feeling anxious without direct cause. I think Peat is definitely right that over activation of the Parasympathetic is what is driving the problem, as for the cause it does not seem clear. I know that for myself I remember the issue starting in Middle school and continuously getting worse. I know I have seen immediate relief from Androsterone, and things like Taurine and Diamant seem to improve the situation.

I have noticed myself dealing with the problem somewhat less often in the past two-three months and I believe it may be due to improvements in the Liver glycogen storage from Thyroid and the other things I mentioned. This problem still persists but seems to be activated in times when blood sugar is probably low. I am hoping that once my semester is done I will be able to get my Cortisol, Growth Hormone, and other hormones more fully tested to elucidate this and other issues I am dealing with.

Like @JDreamer I also notice the issue get pretty bad when drinking some alcohol, it makes me think that the liver, glycogen, and blood sugar certainly are playing a role in the problem.

I feel fine most of the time but once my heart gets elevated at all, I sweat like crazy. Especially during aerobic exercise. Maybe it is due to low muscle and liver glycogen but even if I eat right before exercising, I still sweat so not sure if its low blood sugar.

Regina

I feel fine most of the time but once my heart gets elevated at all, I sweat like crazy. Especially during aerobic exercise. Maybe it is due to low muscle and liver glycogen but even if I eat right before exercising, I still sweat so not sure if its low blood sugar.
Me too. I make sure to have a coke and some candy before training. I can't eat a big meal because, as InterrogaOmnia says, there are stress hormones and bowel distress could be involved. At least for me with aikido, I still get butterflies before every class.
Though I still believe some sweating to be healthy. Maybe it is a little different now that I am older but I am suspect of these dry ladies in my class. I'm very fond of these two and hope they are healthy but I know two other very hypothyroid women who NEVER sweat a single drop.

OP
B

brix

Me too. I make sure to have a coke and some candy before training. I can't eat a big meal because, as InterrogaOmnia says, there are stress hormones and bowel distress could be involved. At least for me with aikido, I still get butterflies before every class.
Though I still believe some sweating to be healthy. Maybe it is a little different now that I am older but I am suspect of these dry ladies in my class. I'm very fond of these two and hope they are healthy but I know two other very hypothyroid women who NEVER sweat a single drop.

I'm borderline hypo but have read that our food maybe converted to heat disproportionally to energy. Could be a cause.

JDreamer

Like @JDreamer I also notice the issue get pretty bad when drinking some alcohol, it makes me think that the liver, glycogen, and blood sugar certainly are playing a role in the problem.

I'm of the mind this is more than likely in issue with me too.

I'm just not sure if it's an isolated liver problem or possibly hypothyroidism. When I was in my younger 20's a general practitioner mentioned that I had "Gilbert's Syndrome" but it's supposed to be a benign condition involving excess bile.

Last edited:
I never used to sweat at all. I'm sure I perspired but never had liquid sweat. Over the past year I began to sweat in the right appropriate situations and drops will fall off my face now when I sweat. I think this is an improvement.

Regina

I never used to sweat at all. I'm sure I perspired but never had liquid sweat. Over the past year I began to sweat in the right appropriate situations and drops will fall off my face now when I sweat. I think this is an improvement.
I'm inclined to think so too.
It's falling off my face during class and I have a generalized sweating during the intense parts of training. Not really an armpit thing at all.
Recovery time is a snap. Literally like 2 minutes.