Calcium Supplements?

Kasper

Hey, I was wondering, what are good options for calcium supplements?

I was putting my diet in cronometer (potatoes, milk, mushrooms mainly), and I get 2600 mg calcium, 650 mg magnesium and 3000 mg phosphorus. I also take 240 mg magnesium from magnesium glycinate. I think it may be better to add some calcium supplement right?

I heard about this egg shell calcium things, but I would rather take a supplement or powder. What would be a good supplement to take? Something like calcium glycinate maybe? Any good brand?

whit

Hey, I was wondering, what are good options for calcium supplements?

I was putting my diet in cronometer (potatoes, milk, mushrooms mainly), and I get 2600 mg calcium, 650 mg magnesium and 3000 mg phosphorus. I also take 240 mg magnesium from magnesium glycinate. I think it may be better to add some calcium supplement right?

I heard about this egg shell calcium things, but I would rather take a supplement or powder. What would be a good supplement to take? Something like calcium glycinate maybe? Any good brand?

We've used egg shell for some time now but before we used cheese green leafy vegetables steeped or steemed.
Specifically my favorite: nettle tea, spinach, kale. The water will have considerable amounts of calcium and magnesium as well as other minerals and nutrients.
Consider however the cruciferous vegetables will have some thyroid suppresive effects.
As for supplements most are generally full of bulking agents among other things that can be allergenic.
The citrate variety isn't effective in my estimation. Calcium threonate or permanginate are generally ok.
Vit.K2 and vit.D are usefull in the utilization of calcium.

belcanto

I use calcium carbonate powder since Ray said eggshell calcium was calcium carbonate. I add a full teaspoon to my coffee or other drinks, though it is good to take it with an acid like orange juice or tomato juice to uptake the calcium better. The vitamins D and K are also important, like Whit says. :thumbsup:

Amazoniac

I wonder if he's actually getting paid to say that by the carbonate industry.

If someone takes 500 mg of elemental calcium, how much citrate is the person getting? Less than 2 g?

A liter of orange juice alone provides 9 g. It makes no sense to be mindful about it and not with table salt intake (there's the effect of sodium and the one of chloride, both tending to increase calcium excretion). Perhaps it's because if there's plenty of organic salts of potassium in the diet, these issues disappear. But still, it's not that you're taking pure citrate, calcium is being shoved along.

Problems with carbonate salts are common, especially as powdered eggshells. I suspect that it's not worth favoring them plain.

Last edited:

paymanz

If someone takes 500 mg of elemental calcium, how much citrate is the person getting? Less than 2 g?

A liter of orange juice alone provides 9 g. It makes no sense to be mindful about it and not with table salt intake (there's the effect of sodium and the one of chloride, both tending to increase calcium excretion). Perhaps it's because if there's plenty of organic salts of potassium in the diet, these issues disappear. But still, it's not that you're taking pure citrate, calcium is being shoved along.

Problems with carbonate salts are common, especially as powdered eggshells. I suspect that it's not worth favoring them plain.
Carbonate industry?! Idk , i guess companies selling carbonate supplement can easily shift to citrate or whatever else, so they dont need to pay someone to promote them.

Sodium can increase calcium in urine because they share same paths in kidney. That must be mechanism i believe.

And the higher the quality of oranges the lower citrate levels. I think he even adds some baking soda to neutralize it if the oranges are sour. He recommends sweetest ones with least acids.

Not sure how much citric acid high quality oranges have but they are not irritating like sour ones or Mg citrate supplements. But interesting point!

Last edited:

Amazoniac

Carbonate industry?! Idk , i guess companies selling carbonate supplement can easily shift to citrate or whatever else, so they dont need to pay someone to promote them.

Sodium can increase calcium in urine because they share same paths in kidney. That must be mechanism i believe.

And the higher the quality of oranges the lower citrate levels. I think he even adds some baking soda to neutralize it if the oranges are sour. He recommends sweetest ones with least acids.

Not sure how much citric acid high quality oranges have but they are not irritating like sour ones or Mg citrate supplements. But interesting point!
A substantial amount of the potassium in plants can be found as citrate, you might not be able to taste it, but it's there.
This might also interest you. If I isn't wrong, they was measuring titratable acidity, not neutralized citrate, and it can be a bit confusing. Oranges must contain a decent deal of citrate, otherwise cations are forming salts with what in them (since they're low in chloride, phophate, and sulphate)?

Last edited:

Wasn't there a study showing that citrate decreases the amount of calcium in the urine? I thought that happened regardless of the conter ion. Also, although vegetables are more alkalizing than fruits, they have less sugar, which means the body produces less CO2 and less bicarbonates. I don't know if, potentially, fruits could be more alcaline than vegetables if CO2 production were taken into account.

Last edited:

Amazoniac

Wasn't there a study showing that citrate decreases the amount of calcium in the urine? I thought that happened regardless of the conter ion. Also, although vegetables are more alkalizing than fruits, they have less sugar, which means the body produces less CO2 and less bicarbonates. I don't know if, potentially, fruits could be more alcaline than vegetables if CO2 production were taken into account.
Yeah, for increasing bicarbonate levels.

From the link'd post:
The K content of fruits is generally between 2·5 and 10 mEq/100 g fw and that of vegetables is usually higher, sometimes exceeding 15 mEq/100 g fw. In fact, the most salient feature which distinguishes fruits and vegetables is the K:[organic acids] concentration ratio (in mEq); this ratio is basically lower than 0·5 in most fruits whilst it always exceeds 1 (up to 2·6 in pumpkins) in vegetables. In other terms, organic acidity of vegetables (frequently lower than in fruits) is more completely neutralised by K ions and vegetables exhibit a greater alkalinising potency.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals