Calcium And Copper Absorption?

J

JohnBonham

Does anyone know if copper absorption is impeded by calcium in either food or supplements?

I'm wondering if I eat oysters with cheese or a copper supplement with a glass of milk, would that cause a significant decrease in the copper I can utilize? I'm now realizing how important copper is, and I'm trying to recover from chronic zinc and vitamin c supplementation. I'm pretty positive I've stupidly given myself a copper deficiency.

ddjd

here's the summary just so its in the forum post

"Effects of feeding supplements of calcium, magnesium, manganese, selenium and potassium on dietary copper bioavailability of humans were investigated. Results indicated that the calcium supplements depressed fecal copper losses and improved body copper retention as did potassium supplements. Magnesium and selenium supplementation of diets resulted in increased apparent fecal losses of copper while no effect of manganese supplementation was found. It may be that the unexpected positive effect of calcium on copper utilization was due to its neutralizing effect on the relatively high level of ascorbic acid provided by the constant background diet. Ascorbic acid is known to inhibit the absorption of copper."