Buspar For Anxiety And Heart Health?

bionicheart

This study discusses Buspar and the Role of brain serotonin dysfunction in the pathophysiology of congestive heart failure.

Role of brain serotonin dysfunction in the pathophysiology of congestive heart failure. - PubMed - NCBI

I'm looking for medications that help with anxiety and potentially have benefits of being heart protective as CHF and cardiomyopathy runs in my family. I've been prescribed mirtazapine but am afraid of the fibrosis it may cause. my doctor said cyproheptadine causes permanent muscle problems and some one my age shouldn't take it (27 years) Does anyone think buspar would be a good option for anxiety and have benefit to the heart as well..? Thanks in advance, I have trouble understanding these studies..

hiconscience

well I can only tell you from experience... I believe Buspar increases norepinephrine, which is why it is used for smoking cessation. for me dopamine agonists help my anxiety exponentially...unfortunately Buspar gave me immense amounts of anxiety (like couldn't leave the house). everybody is different so it may be perfect for you. just a little insight on my experience.

OP
bionicheart

bionicheart

well I can only tell you from experience... I believe Buspar increases norepinephrine, which is why it is used for smoking cessation. for me dopamine agonists help my anxiety exponentially...unfortunately Buspar gave me immense amounts of anxiety (like couldn't leave the house). everybody is different so it may be perfect for you. just a little insight on my experience.
Thanks for sharing your experience, how long did you take it? Ive read it can increase anxiety initially but subsides with continued use.Have or do you take any other dopamine agonists that have helped you? I wanted to ask my psychiatrist about it because the Mirtazapine has increased my anxiety and irritability but it's only been a couple days. Thanks!

hiconscience

oh yeah that is quite possible!!!.. because I only took it id say for 3 weeks maybe a month. but the anxiety was so bad I had to stop bc I was headed for a legit breakdown. I felt like I was in a continous state of fight or flight. Crying on the couch freaking out when nothing was going on. my mom literally came over with a bottle of wine one night and was like just drink it bc I was so bad... I would have done anything to ease the symptoms. I have never had bad anxiety issues, never been on benzos, or even had mental health issues. I was on vyvanse for adhd and my doctor decided to switch me over to wellbutrin because he said it would give me energy, focus and hopefully end my off and on desire to smoke. I would just start with a low dose and feel it out... everyones body chemistry is different. Maybe because I didn't have anxiety it had the opposite effects... but I Def got a peak into the torture of anxiety and hope you find some relief.

OP
bionicheart

bionicheart

@haidut Do you know any evidence behind the permanent muscle problems referenced by OPs doctor?
I would like to know also, as my psychiatrist did not elaborate.
I had two doctors at Mayo clinic say they were very uncomfortable with prescribing me Cyproheptadine because of potential permanent muscle problems.

DaveFoster

Thanks for sharing your experience, how long did you take it? Ive read it can increase anxiety initially but subsides with continued use.Have or do you take any other dopamine agonists that have helped you? I wanted to ask my psychiatrist about it because the Mirtazapine has increased my anxiety and irritability but it's only been a couple days. Thanks!
It's completely normal for mirtazapine to increase both of those symptoms within a couple days. Give your body a couple weeks to adjust to the medication. Progesterone and niacinamide both relieve anxiety, but you need to consume them alongside adequate carbohydrate (ideally sugar).

OP
bionicheart

bionicheart

It's completely normal for mirtazapine to increase both of those symptoms within a couple days. Give your body a couple weeks to adjust to the medication. Progesterone and niacinamide both relieve anxiety, but you need to consume them alongside adequate carbohydrate (ideally sugar).
Thanks @DaveFoster I'll give it more time to work and try your suggestions!

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut Do you know any evidence behind the permanent muscle problems referenced by OPs doctor?

I would like to see some evidence for that since as far as I know cyproheptadine has no such effects, let alone permanent ones. "Permament" muscle damage is usually due to some kind of pathology in the CNS, and that is something cyproheptadine is very unlikely to cause. At least I am not aware of any evidence. I would be very suspicious of alarming claims like that have no evidence. So, if that was my doctor I would not leave the office until he/she answers with something more than F.U.D.

Sheik

I hated buspar, it made me feel really weird, both short and long term. I don't want to say don't take it, but don't take it (I'm not a doctor). Now I take small doses of lithium (~5mg), cyproheptadine, and occasionally ativan. These all help with anxiety.

After briefly looking at your post history, I'd ask, are you eating enough now? That can definitely have a big effect on anxiety levels; I know from experience. I've been very underweight and gained weight with the help of cypro. You could also try taking a small dose for a short time; I've taken from 0.5 to 8mg per day, and I think Dave Foster was taking 12. I think 0.5mg or less could help and I would even suggest starting at 0.25mg (in the evening) due to potential drowsiness.

Lithium is also said to increase appetite, and it has a little bit for me (but def not as much as cypro). High sodium intake is said to potentially have the same benefits as lithium without the risk, but I haven't tried it personally. Lithium or sodium might be something to look into for both anxiety and appetite.

You could try asking Peat about those issues with cypro, too.

OP
bionicheart

bionicheart

I hated buspar, it made me feel really weird, both short and long term. I don't want to say don't take it, but don't take it (I'm not a doctor). Now I take small doses of lithium (~5mg), cyproheptadine, and occasionally ativan. These all help with anxiety.

After briefly looking at your post history, I'd ask, are you eating enough now? That can definitely have a big effect on anxiety levels; I know from experience. I've been very underweight and gained weight with the help of cypro. You could also try taking a small dose for a short time; I've taken from 0.5 to 8mg per day, and I think Dave Foster was taking 12. I think 0.5mg or less could help and I would even suggest starting at 0.25mg (in the evening) due to potential drowsiness.

Lithium is also said to increase appetite, and it has a little bit for me (but def not as much as cypro). High sodium intake is said to potentially have the same benefits as lithium without the risk, but I haven't tried it personally. Lithium or sodium might be something to look into for both anxiety and appetite.

You could try asking Peat about those issues with cypro, too.

Thanks @Sheik ! I'm still not eating quite enough due to the anxiety making me nauseous. I'm going to try the mirtazapine at 7.5mg, I was given 0.5mg of Ativan to help with the initial anxiety so I'll see how that goes.
Are you taking lithium orotate or carbonate? I tried taking orotate (biotics research) once, it was 50mcg and I took a quarter of the pill, my heart rate increased 100bpm+ then after 15minutes it calmed down and I felt amazing. Anxiety free and motivated, almost euphoric. But the increase in HR has prevented me from trying it again. It seems since I stopped taking beta blockers and I when eat more salt, my HR increases. Is this normal or healthy? I suspect I was hypothyroid in the past so any elevation in heart rate or BP startles me...my norm in the past (on beta blockers) was 90/60 to as low as 70/56 and 60-75HR. Now it's about 100/18 and 80-85HR on no meds or supplements.. thanks for sharing your experience

Last edited:

Sheik

Thanks @Sheik ! I'm still not eating quite enough due to the anxiety making me nauseous. I'm going to try the mirtazapine at 7.5mg, I was given 0.5mg of Ativan to help with the initial anxiety so I'll see how that goes.
Are you taking lithium orotate or carbonate? I tried taking orotate (biotics research) once, it was 50mcg and I took a quarter of the pill, my heart rate increased 100bpm+ then after 15minutes it calmed down and I felt amazing. Anxiety free and motivated, almost euphoric. But the increase in HR has prevented me from trying it again. It seems since I stopped taking beta blockers and I when eat more salt, my HR increases. Is this normal or healthy? I suspect I was hypothyroid in the past so any elevation in heart rate or BP startles me...my norm in the past (on beta blockers) was 90/60 to as low as 70/56 and 60-75HR. Now it's about 100/18 and 80-85HR on no meds or supplements.. thanks for sharing your experience
Hey, sorry for taking so long to reply. I take lithium carbonate.

I don't know much about beta blockers, but salt has been said to increase metabolism so it could be healthy if you're eating enough food. In my experience, boosting metabolism without eating more is a really bad idea.

Did you try the mirtazapine and did it boost your appetite at all?

Did you feel bad when your blood pressure was super low?

I'm pretty phobic about heart stuff too and had really low blood pressure at one point as well.

managing

I would like to see some evidence for that since as far as I know cyproheptadine has no such effects, let alone permanent ones. "Permament" muscle damage is usually due to some kind of pathology in the CNS, and that is something cyproheptadine is very unlikely to cause. At least I am not aware of any evidence. I would be very suspicious of alarming claims like that have no evidence. So, if that was my doctor I would not leave the office until he/she answers with something more than F.U.D.
I always hate responding to a long dormant thread, but I want to in case anybody stumbles on this thread should not end up misinformed about this.

On THIS forum, we call cyproheptadine "cypro". But in most of the world, that means "cyprofloxacin". Cyprofloxacin does indeed cause muscle problems (chronic, potentially irreversible tendonitis).

I am sure that is what the OP heard the psychiatrist commenting on, rather than cyproheptadine.

No_Energy

Hi,
Hiconscience. Is it possible you confused buspirone for bupropion?.. Buproprion is a reuptake inhibitor, increases norepinephrine and is often used for smoke cessation, buspirone is a different animal, acting mainly as a 5-HT1A agonist, it could have some indirect effect on norepinephrine but not quite as bupropion I suppose.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals