Bromocriptine Prevents CVD Events Associated With Type II Diabetes

haidut

Forum Supporter
Your doctor probably does not know that bromocriptine is approved for the treatment of type II diabetes. Even if she/he did know about it, the cited mechanism of action is "unkown" or a "mystery". But at least, it is a step in the right direction - i.e. away from serotonin, estrogen and histamine.
This study from 2015, found that Cycloset (bromocriptine) also reduced the CVD events for all type II diabetic patients, even in those with "normal" blood sugar levels.

Bromocriptine-QR for Prevention of Cardiovascular Events in Type 2 Diabetes
"...

• There may be biochemical pathologies in the T2DM population aside from hyperglycemia, hyperlipidemia and hypertension putting them at risk for CVD events.
  • There are likely benefits of bromocriptine-QR beyond its glucose-lowering effect, which reduces risk of CVD events T2DM.
  • Patients with T2DM with good glycemic control may benefit from the addition of bromocriptine-QR to reduce their risk of CVD events without the risk of serious adverse events.
"

Rafe

Thank you for posting this positive view of bromocriptine. The hypothesis is that it reduces sympathetic tone and may have neuroendocrine effects? It doesn't seem like their method gets all the way to testing that. But a good view of peat-recommended substances is good news. Again, thank you for passing this on.

paymanz

thanks for post.

QR(quick release) is something different from plain bromocriptine?

tomisonbottom

thanks for post.

QR(quick release) is something different from plain bromocriptine?

@haidut I was wondering the same thing.....I came across this article:

Bromocriptine for weight loss: An interview with Dr. Albert H. Meier - fatnews.com

and he mentioned a big difference between quick release and slow release bromo. I have the slow release (parlodel) one that I am taking for weight loss/energy reasons, and am wondering if that won't work now. Have you come across that info in your research of bromo as well?

Koveras

Bromocriptine for weight loss: An interview with Dr. Albert H. Meier - fatnews.com

and he mentioned a big difference between quick release and slow release bromo. I have the slow release (parlodel) one that I am taking for weight loss/energy reasons, and am wondering if that won't work now. Have you come across that info in your research of bromo as well?

I have read that the timing of dosing is important as well but I don't think it is necessary or the only important factor in weight loss and improvement of metabolic parameters.

Cabergoline, which has a half-life of several days, has also shown to be effective for weight loss.

Higher doses of cabergoline further improve metabolic parameters in patients with prolactinoma regardless of the degree of reduction in prolactin l... - PubMed - NCBI

Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2013 Dec;79(6):845-52. doi: 10.1111/cen.12204. Epub 2013 Apr 22.
Higher doses of cabergoline further improve metabolic parameters in patients with prolactinoma regardless of the degree of reduction in prolactin levels.
Ciresi A1, Amato MC, Guarnotta V, Lo Castro F, Giordano C.

OBJECTIVE:
Currently available studies that fully analyse the metabolic parameters in patients with prolactinoma are scarce and discordant. The aim of this study was to evaluate the metabolic effects of cabergoline (CAB) treatment in patients with newly diagnosed prolactinoma in relation to disease control and CAB dosage.
DESIGN:
This is a retrospective clinical-based therapy analysis.
PATIENTS:
Forty-three patients with prolactinoma (eight men, 35 women), aged 33·65 ± 11·23 years, were evaluated metabolically at baseline and after 12 months of CAB treatment.
MEASUREMENTS:
Body mass index (BMI), systolic and diastolic blood pressure, waist circumference (WC), lipid profile, haemoglobinA1c (HbA1c), glucose and insulin levels (and their areas under the curve, AUC) after an oral glucose tolerance test, homoeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (Homa-IR) index, insulin sensitivity index (ISI) Matsuda, oral disposition index (DIo) and visceral adiposity index (VAI) were measured at baseline and after 12 months of treatment.
RESULTS:
Twelve months of CAB reduced WC (P < 0·001), total (P = 0·001) and low-density lipoprotein \terol (P < 0·001), triglycerides (P = 0·024), fasting insulin (P < 0·001), AUCINSULIN (P < 0·001), HbA1c (P = 0·022), Homa-IR (P < 0·001) and VAI (P < 0·001), with a concomitant increase in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (P < 0·001) and in ISI Matsuda (P < 0·001), regardless of the degree of reduction in prolactin levels. The patients receiving higher doses (>0·50 mg/week) of CAB showed lower BMI (P = 0·009), fasting insulin (P = 0·001), Homa-IR (P < 0·001) and VAI (P = 0·018) and higher ISI Matsuda (P = 0·002) and DIo (P = 0·011), compared with those on lower doses.

CONCLUSIONS:
A significant metabolic improvement was observed in patients with prolactinoma after 12 months of CAB treatment, especially when higher doses were used, highlighting the importance of considering the metabolic profile in these patients and the role of active treatment with high CAB doses.

Greg says

I've just been using Bromocriptine at half the 2.5mg dose for two days and I feel awful. Intense headache and nausea.

I wrote to RP and asked about Bromocriptine and this is what he wrote back to me (seems pertinent to CVD, bold is mine) :

"Bromocriptine is effective for antagonizing some of serotonin's effects, such as reducing prolactin, but it has some overlap with serotonin, and prolonged use can affect hearth valves. Periactin (cyproheptadine) is a safer antiserotonin drug, with some effects like bromocriptine, but it's also an antihistamine (with sleep effects like Benadryl), and has some antiadrenaline effects; half a milligram is often helpful for irritable bowel symptoms."

belcanto

Haidut, which of the IdeaLabs research products are closest to bromocriptine-QR to test on my rat?

Thanks!

Broken man

Can I ask you, are you still using bromo? Did you have any side effects? Thank you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals