Brand New Ray Peat-inspired Skincare Product Now Available!

Peat Tong

Ray Peat just spoke favorably of cholesterol-containing cosmetics on the latest KMUD "Ask the Herb Doctors."

OP
V

visviva

Ray Peat just spoke favorably of cholesterol-containing cosmetics on the latest KMUD "Ask the Herb Doctors."
wow that's great, do you have a link you could share? I had a look but couldn't find the interview...

OP
V

visviva

The segment on cholesterol begins at around 13 minutes for those interested, and I transcribed the bit relevant to skin below:

KMUD “Do you see any protocol, or do you have any answers in terms of rejuvenating skin cholesterol?”

RP “Experimentally and in the cosmetic industry they are starting to put cholesterol in cosmetic products, in effect it does rejuvenate the cells, it restores their ability to divide healthfully.”

KMUD “So you can physically, topically apply cholesterol in the form of an ointment or a cream to the skin and expect the skin to take up a reasonable portion of that?”

RP “That’s what the experiments show and the cosmetics companies are taking advantage of it”

KMUD “Interesting because that was the whole thing that you mentioned about vitamin D production in the elderly - you have to have twice as much or more sunlight exposure to get the same conversion from cholesterol to vitamin D which is so important for immune health and immune surveillance.”

RP “There’s half as much cholesterol in the old skin”

KMUD “From an anti aging perspective, I know the collagen is the issue in people’s skin when they get older, it starts to look a little unsightly or wrinkly or saggy - do you think there is much that can be done to restore the collagen or the scaffold in which the skin is normally elastic and stretchy?

RP “Yeah the cells normally are able to turn it over - energised cells can eat up the hardened, aged collagen and let the cells produce fresh collagen. And the cholesterol lets the cells divide normally and so they are more energetic, produce a thicker layer of healthy calls rather than a scaly hardened layer of aged flaky cells.”

“The practical way to keep your cholesterol synthesis ability is to avoid pufa because they turn off the synthesis of cholesterol and interfere with its use in the cells.”

OP
V

visviva

Thank you very much! Transcribed again below:

“The cosmetics companies have caught onto the fact that old people’s free cholesterol decreases tremendously. The skin ageing is basically a cholesterol deficiency syndrome, the way Alzheimer’s disease it gets the fatty acid ester which is toxic but the real cholesterol is down by about 50% in aged skin.

The cosmetics companies are building on experiments which show that if you add cholesterol to the skin it restores the cell function: the live cells come back and the dead, flaky cells aren’t produced when there’s adequate cholesterol. So they are actually adding cholesterol to the cosmetic creams, and that biologically is very appropriate because the reason old people need more vitamin D is because vitamin D is made when sunlight hits the cholesterol in the skin, and if you’re old the skin has only half as much cholesterol as a young person’s - you produce half as much vitamin D, so an old person needs twice as much sunlight as a young person.”

OP
V

visviva

Hi everyone, I am SO excited to announce the launch of a new product from Vis Viva - a hydrating serum with urea and niacinamide, both included at 5% by weight and two ingredients that work very well for so many different things.

Urea is one of my top favourite skincare ingredients - it’s been talked about a bit in this thread already, but I’ve shared a summary with some links to studies below. What I really like about it, aside from the benefits discussed in the studies below, is how quickly it works - there’s an appreciable difference in the softness and dryness of the skin within only a few days of use.

Urea is not very stable in solution, and usually sodium lactate/lactic acid are used to buffer and stabilise it - you see this combination in most commercially available products which contain urea. As lactic acid is not ideal for the skin from a Ray Peat perspective, I really wanted to find a better way to stabilise it - it took a while to achieve this, but we got there in the end and I really hope you like the product <3

I’ve also included niacinamide - a well-known skincare ingredient both within and outside Ray Peat, and studies on this ingredient are listed below.

The product uses a high molecular weight hyaluronic acid to give it a silky gel texture which dries down quickly but keeps the skin feeling moist. The preservative system in the product (sodium levulinate and sodium anisate) is necessary to keep the product safe for use and free of bacteria and mould, and avoids the use of parabens and formaldehyde donors etc).

If anyone has any questions about the formulation, the ingredients, or anything else, please leave a comment or PM me. Thank you :)

UREA

Here are some studies showing some of the actions of urea on skin, such as its ability to reduce transepidermal water loss, its efficacy in reducing dry skin/skin conditions involving hyperproliferation like psoriasis and eczema, and its ability to limit the irritancy of surfactants like sodium lauryl sulphate. It also acts as a penetration enhancer.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/328634599_Topical_urea_in_skincare_A_review
Urea-containing moisturizers influence barrier properties of normal skin
Error - Cookies Turned Off
Urea uptake enhances barrier function and antimicrobial defense in humans by regulating epidermal gene expression. - PubMed - NCBI
Topical treatment by urea reduces epidermal hyperproliferation and induces differentiation in psoriasis. - PubMed - NCBI
Role of topical emollients and moisturizers in the treatment of dry skin barrier disorders. - PubMed - NCBI

NIACINAMIDE:

Niacinamide applied topically is shown to be effective for reducing fine lines, improving the function of the skin barrier (and therefore reducing skin sensitivity), reducing pigmentation, reducing water loss from the skin, and reducing blemishes.

Niacinamide-containing facial moisturizer improves skin barrier and benefits subjects with rosacea. - PubMed - NCBI
Nicotinamide increases biosynthesis of ceramides as well as other stratum corneum lipids to improve the epidermal permeability barrier. - PubMed - NCBI
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378517312010502?via=ihub
https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(03)03470-4/fulltext
Niacinamide: A B vitamin that improves aging facial skin appearance. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
V

visviva

Also, I’m still offering 20% off for forum members. Message me if you’d like the code :)

OP
V

visviva

Hi guys – some exciting announcements:

We currently have a Black Friday sale on going, it's our biggest sale of the year and you can save 20–30% on all products. You can also stack the sale offers with our new free shipping options (over £35 for uk | £70 for worldwide)

Also, we recently launched mini sizes! You can now purchase both our skincare products in 10ml sizes, individually or as a set two. This is a cheaper way to try the products out to see how your skin responds.

I'm going to start working on a moisturising cream soon with methylene blue – please let me know if you have any ideas for other ingredients to include.

Thanks

golder

Hi guys – some exciting announcements:

We currently have a Black Friday sale on going, it's our biggest sale of the year and you can save 20–30% on all products. You can also stack the sale offers with our new free shipping options (over £35 for uk | £70 for worldwide)

Also, we recently launched mini sizes! You can now purchase both our skincare products in 10ml sizes, individually or as a set two. This is a cheaper way to try the products out to see how your skin responds.

I'm going to start working on a moisturising cream soon with methylene blue – please let me know if you have any ideas for other ingredients to include.

Thanks
Still very much looking forward to that new moisturising cream being released when this Covid chapter blows over! Ps, as per your post 2 messages above, could you PM me the 20% code you offer for forum members. Thanks again very much for all that you do, loving this range and I'll continue to recommend your honest products!

x3britt45

Still very much looking forward to that new moisturising cream being released when this Covid chapter blows over! Ps, as per your post 2 messages above, could you PM me the 20% code you offer for forum members. Thanks again very much for all that you do, loving this range and I'll continue to recommend your honest products!
Can I get code pls and thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals