Blood Work: 4 Months Of Peat; Huge Testosterone Increase

Sobieski

Hello everyone, please allow me to introduce myself.
I'm a male in my late 20's, who having discovered via a blood test in June that I had low levels of testosterone (and the symptoms to match), started to research diet and hormones and consequently discovered Ray's work.

My diet up until that test was a typical 'healthy diet', whole grain based, high fibre, very high pufa and low sat fat. I started adopting Peat principles in July (low pufa, fibre, more sugar etc) and started noticing several improvements. Strength came back, appearance changed for the better (far less water retention), more energy, morning wood for the first time in years, and many other small improvements.

I also suffered set backs, namely increased anxiety and lately very severe insomnia. I decided to get a blood test done to chart my progress and here are the results (ref.range in parenthesis)

DHEA S (.44 -13.4 umol/l)
June 2017 - 4.78
November 2017 - 6.22

FSH (1.5 -12.4 IU/L)
June - .757 (LOW)
Novermber - .626 (LOW)

LH (1.7-8.6 IU/L)
June - 2.39
November - 3.07

Total Testosterone (7.6 -31.4 nmol/l)
June - 15.51
November - 25.6

SHBG (16-55 nmol/l)
June - 57 (HIGH)
November - 64.2 (HIGH)

Free Androgen Index (24 - 104)
June - 27.04
November - 39.88

Estradiol - (0 -191.99 pmol/l)
November - 126

To sum up, Total Testosterone increased by 70%, Free T by 66%, however free T is still fairly low due to high SHBG. I'd be interested in what may be possible to lower SHBG to free up more T/DHT?

It's a point of interest that prior to having this second test done, I had almost no sleep for two weeks due to the aforementioned insomnia, so it's plausible that T levels could be even higher when well rested.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
SHBG may be a good thing. I wouldn't do anything about this. It's very good.

I'd aim to lower STRESS in your life.

Care to quantify this statement? I'm guessing you're going to say that it is binding the Estrogen... but isn't it also tying up a bunch of Testosterone?

SHBG helps transport testosterone into the cells

Sex Hormone Binding Globulin Modifies Testosterone Action and Metabolism in Prostate Cancer Cells

Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) is the major serum carrier of sex hormones. However, growing evidence suggests that SHBG is internalised and plays a role in regulating intracellular hormone action. This study was to determine whether SHBG plays a role in testosterone uptake, metabolism, and action in the androgen sensitive LNCaP prostate cancer cell line. Internalisation of SHBG and testosterone, the effects of SHBG on testosterone uptake, metabolism, regulation of androgen responsive genes, and cell growth were assessed. LNCaP cells internalised SHBG by a testosterone independent process. Testosterone was rapidly taken up and effluxed as testosterone-glucuronide; however this effect was reduced by the presence of SHBG. Addition of SHBG, rather than reducing testosterone bioavailability, further increased testosterone-induced expression of prostate specific antigen and enhanced testosterone-induced reduction of androgen receptor mRNA expression. Following 38 hours of testosterone treatment cell morphology changed and growth declined; however, cotreatment with SHBG abrogated these inhibitory effects. These findings clearly demonstrate that internalised SHBG plays an important regulatory and intracellular role in modifying testosterone action and this has important implications for the role of SHBG in health and disease.

OP
S

Sobieski

Interesting... If SHBG may be a good thing why is it that men can experience hypogonadal symptoms with high SHBG?

thms

do you care to share your foods and calories with us? What was your fat intake like and how do you feel after changing diet?

Makrosky

Are you using hormones? Or just diet?

Have you also tested Estrone?

You know that the body can aromatize testosterone to estrogen causing problems like anxiety, right?

So if you raise testosterone a lot and you have a high aromatizing activity you will have lots of estrogen also. If you are doing it only with diet it's probably gonna be ok but if you're using hormones then you can very easily throw things out of balance and cause undesired estrogenic effects or feedback loops.

Palpatine

SHBG helps transport testosterone into the cells

Sex Hormone Binding Globulin Modifies Testosterone Action and Metabolism in Prostate Cancer Cells

Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) is the major serum carrier of sex hormones. However, growing evidence suggests that SHBG is internalised and plays a role in regulating intracellular hormone action. This study was to determine whether SHBG plays a role in testosterone uptake, metabolism, and action in the androgen sensitive LNCaP prostate cancer cell line. Internalisation of SHBG and testosterone, the effects of SHBG on testosterone uptake, metabolism, regulation of androgen responsive genes, and cell growth were assessed. LNCaP cells internalised SHBG by a testosterone independent process. Testosterone was rapidly taken up and effluxed as testosterone-glucuronide; however this effect was reduced by the presence of SHBG. Addition of SHBG, rather than reducing testosterone bioavailability, further increased testosterone-induced expression of prostate specific antigen and enhanced testosterone-induced reduction of androgen receptor mRNA expression. Following 38 hours of testosterone treatment cell morphology changed and growth declined; however, cotreatment with SHBG abrogated these inhibitory effects. These findings clearly demonstrate that internalised SHBG plays an important regulatory and intracellular role in modifying testosterone action and this has important implications for the role of SHBG in health and disease.
Thanks for your reply. Pardon my lack of understanding of all that technical jargon, but is your point that SHBG might be protective against prostate cancer?

I've always, at least when I've tested, had high SHBG... And always desired to lower it... But my PSA and digital exam had always came back small and smooth. Interesting.

Thanks for your reply. Pardon my lack of understanding of all that technical jargon, but is your point that SHBG might be protective against prostate cancer?

I've always, at least when I've tested, had high SHBG... And always desired to lower it... But my PSA and digital exam had always came back small and smooth. Interesting.

It apparently helps move testosterone into the cells.

EIRE24

I'd also be interested to see what your diet is like and level of calories like the other poster above.

Palpatine

do you care to share your foods and calories with us? What was your fat intake like and how do you feel after changing diet?
I'd also be interested to see what your diet is like and level of calories like the other poster above.

So, I'll obviously let the OP speak for himself, but I had very similar results about 2 years ago with no hormones, just diet (side note, I'm now trying DHEA and Androsterone).
I was about 43 at the time, 5'8", started around 165ish and when I had my blood test I was about 155ish.

My diet consisted of:
Lots of fatty red meat (Loooove red meat, always have)
Some chicken (I've always preferred dark meat, but only ate Chicken when that was the only option and there was no red meat)
About 3-5 eggs a day
Bacon
Salami
White Rice
Potatoes, sometimes sweet potatoes
1-2 bananas a day
40 oz. of coffee with heavy whipping cream (I don't think I was using sugar at the time, but I am now)
A ton of grass-fed butter (cooked almost everything in it, occasionally coconut oil, and occasionally both... but primarily butter, mmmm)
A couple of squares of dark chocolate when I needed a fix

I'd have the occasional cheat day where I'd go completely off the reservation... but when I was on... I was on and didn't very much from the list above.

Macros were roughly 20% protein, 40% fat, 40% carbs (tried to stay around there, but wasn't meticulously tracking)
Calories were about 2000ish a day. Sometimes a little lower, sometimes a little higher (again wasn't crazy about the calories, but would go to be hungry sometimes)
I was doing IF, not very strict, and not probably a real IF as I would be using too much cream in my coffee which technically breaks the fast, but oh well. I'd usually consume the bulk of my calories from about 1pm to 8pm. Weekends were different and I'd usually eat breakfast with my family.

I was working out every other day (45-60min), trying to lift as heavy as I can with free weights (dumbbells) at home, weighted pull-ups/chin-ups, weighted-dips and the occasional sprint day. I always have to be very careful not to injure myself as I've had major back surgery in the past and have issues with both shoulders, then and now. But no 15-20 rep sets. I'd like to get to a weight that I can only do 5-6 reps of but that just isn't in the cards for me, I don't think, due to potential for injuries.

Supplements at the time were:
d3 (4000 to 8000ius)
zinc methionine from Solaray (30mg - which I've switched because I can't find one without Mag Steareate and/or Silica in it)
Magnesium (400 - 600 mg)
Great Lakes gelatin (2 tablespoons in my coffee in the am)

Hope that helps you guys.

Last edited:

EIRE24

So, I'll obviously let the OP speak for himself, but I had very similar results about 2 years ago with no hormones, just diet (side note, I'm now trying DHEA and Androsterone).
I was about 43 at the time, 5'8", started around 165ish and when I had my blood test I was about 155ish.

My diet consisted of:
Lots of fatty red meat (Loooove red meat, always have)
Some chicken (I've always preferred dark meat, but only ate Chicken when that was the only option and there was no red meat)
About 3-5 eggs a day
Bacon
Salami
White Rice
Potatoes, sometimes sweet potatoes
1-2 bananas a day
40 oz. of coffee with heavy whipping cream (I don't think I was using sugar at the time, but I am now)
A ton of grass-fed butter (cooked almost everything in it, occasionally coconut oil, and occasionally both... but primarily butter, mmmm)
A couple of squares of dark chocolate when I needed a fix

I'd have the occasional cheat day where I'd go completely off the reservation... but when I was on... I was on and didn't very much from the list above.

Macros were roughly 20% protein, 40% fat, 40% carbs (tried to stay around there, but wasn't meticulously tracking)
Calories were about 2000ish a day. Sometimes a little lower, sometimes a little higher (again wasn't crazy about the calories, but would go to be hungry sometimes)
I was doing IF, not very strict, and not probably a real IF as I would be using too much cream in my coffee which technically breaks the fast, but oh well. I'd usually consume the bulk of my calories from about 1pm to 8pm. Weekends were different and I'd usually eat breakfast with my family.

I was working out every other day (45-60min), trying to lift as heavy as I can with free weights (dumbbells) at home, weighted pull-ups/chin-ups, weighted-dips and the occasional sprint day. I always have to be very careful not to injure myself as I've had major back surgery in the past and have issues with both shoulders, then and now. But no 15-20 rep sets. I'd like to get to a weight that I can only do 5-6 reps of but that just isn't in the cards for me, I don't think, due to potential for injuries.

Supplements at the time were:
d3 (4000 to 8000ius)
zinc methionine from Solaray (30mg - which I've switched because I can't find one without Mag Steareate and/or Silica in it)
Magnesium (400 - 600 mg)
Great Lakes (2 tablespoons in my coffee in the am)

Hope that helps you guys.
Thank you.

nbznj

I've read studies stating that fructose lowers SHBG. I've also read that a caloric deficit raises it a ton.

OP - I'd consider eating more, and more fruits. Also, do you salt enough? A bowl of rice with salt always makes me crash. Which is good at night.

@Palpatine that's a lot of phosphorus and not a lot of calcium in there :) Anyways I don't really think macros play a role. If you have whole foods and eat enough calories and get restful sleep the morning wood will be there. I could go 20P/40F/40C or (nowadays) 30P/20F/50C or even less fat and feel the same. The only difference would be LDL/TC levels. I'm never marrying myself to any macros % again. Low PUFA, simple carbs, organ meats, good quality dairy, collagen, that's about it for me and no supplements

(6'3" 215lbs 10% fat used to lift way too often/hard)

Palpatine

I've read studies stating that fructose lowers SHBG. I've also read that a caloric deficit raises it a ton.
I've read the same thing.
that's a lot of phosphorus and not a lot of calcium in there :) Anyways I don't really think macros play a role. If you have whole foods and eat enough calories and get restful sleep the morning wood will be there. I could go 20P/40F/40C or (nowadays) 30P/20F/50C or even less fat and feel the same. The only difference would be LDL/TC levels.
Honestly, I don't even know the ramifications of the phosphorus... I did make my own eggshell calcium for a while, but stopped. Also, I do eat cheese at will... all kinds, forgot to add that to my diet list above.

Btw, that was all before I found this forum and now I'm incorporating more sugar/fructose/fruit in my diet. And I'm in no way trying to claim that my diet was "Peaty."

Macros... I do believe in them to a degree. You need to get enough protein and I'm a big fan of starch if you're working out. I don't track anything nowadays... but I might start just to see where I'm at currently.

Palpatine

The only difference would be LDL/TC levels

Not sure what TC levels are, but I think you're referring to LDL cholesterol?

Maybe I should have also mentioned above that when I showed my labs to my GP, he said that my cholesterol was off the charts high, which it was when compared to all the reference ranges on my lab report, and he said I should lower them by not eating as much read meat and eggs. And also eating more vegetables and salad, etc. Yuck!

Everything else was good... and my "ratios" for cholesterol were all good as well (as per the reference ranges, and my GP confirmed), even though the individual numbers HDL, LDL, Triglycerides were all high.

nbznj

yes referring to LDL and Total Cholesterol (TC)

well GPs don't know much about diet/nutrition, all they do is read charts and repeat the same old mantra.

All kinds of fat will raise particles, and decreasing them will keep those nice and in range. Note that those ranges don't mean much if all other risk factors are null (non smoking, lean, active, and so on. Common sense).

http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/atvbaha/2/6/502.full.pdf

Indeed, ratios matter more. Especially the TG/HDL ratio: Triglyceride-to-HDL cholesterol ratio. Predictive value for CHD severity and new-onset heart failure. - PubMed - NCBI

I agree with keeping protein around 2g/kg and sweet potatoes and maybe rice being easy and convenient fuel for weightlifters. When I'm sitting on my bottom tho, it's OJ and more OJ and maybe a banana or coconut or some other fruit :)

EIRE24

OP - I'd consider eating more, and more fruits. Also, do you salt enough? A bowl of rice with salt always makes me crash. Which is good at night.

@Palpatine that's a lot of phosphorus and not a lot of calcium in there :) Anyways I don't really think macros play a role. If you have whole foods and eat enough calories and get restful sleep the morning wood will be there. I could go 20P/40F/40C or (nowadays) 30P/20F/50C or even less fat and feel the same. The only difference would be LDL/TC levels. I'm never marrying myself to any macros % again. Low PUFA, simple carbs, organ meats, good quality dairy, collagen, that's about it for me and no supplements

(6'3" 215lbs 10% fat used to lift way too often/hard)
Why would rice and salt making you crash be a good thing?

nbznj

if you have issues falling asleep at night... could be cortisol, or adrenals, or estrogen. Or prolactin but I don't sleep every night at my girlfriend's. Or many other factors but this rice and salt is what consistently works well for me. Honorary mention: milk

Conversely starch for lunch means a nap is coming, unless I force myself to be active. I'd never have starches at lunchtime if working an office job. Fruit all the way

edit - actually quite Peatarian:
10 Tips for Better Sleep – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

OP
S

Sobieski

I'd be happy to answer any questions and hopefully help anyone out there reading this who is suffering from low T themselves (it's no life to be had at all). The reason I felt the need to post this was partially to offer hope to those that it's very possible to restore T levels without having to go on TRT. There's a thread on here from a person who tripled their test levels, which was actually one of the things that inspired me to follow Peat's work, so hopefully I can help someone else in the same way.

Basically macros look like this; 60% carbs from sugars and white rice. 20-25% protein from various sources, 15-20% fat mainly from dairy and some chocolate.
I've eaten this sort of macro split for 2-3 years, however previously the carbs came from whole grains and the fat from pufa's. Looking back on my cronometer entries from 2 years ago, there were some days I was eating upwards of 60g PUFA (flax seeds, fish oil etc) and 70g of fiber. Saturated fat intake was low. I was reaching these figures due to high calorie intake from my work. I usually eat around 3500kcal a day. I'm about 75kg at 10-12% body fat.

I try not to work out too much now, I usually stick to body weight exercises when I do. I started the slow descent to physical decline in my early 20's from too much lifting, so I know from experience the havoc it can cause. Even without much formal exercise, on this diet my muscle mass is the same as when lifting.

Supplement wise, the ones I use regularly (but not daily) are Vitamin E, K2, and Taurine. I also use a small amount of Pregnenolone (10-20mg) when I need a mental boost. Too much frequency or too large a dose I've found to induce what I can only assume to perhaps be too much progesterone (very noticable face lift but no libido).

If anyone is interested I can go into more detail on various areas of my life that have improved over the past few months.

Thanks for reading.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals