Biotin Accumulate In Adipose Tissue With Aging?(study) Biotin Inhibit Sirt1

paymanz

what do you think?

Selective overexpression of human SIRT1 in adipose tissue enhances energy homeostasis and prevents the deterioration of insulin sensitivity with ageing in mice

SIRT1, a longevity regulator and NAD+-dependent deacetylase, plays a critical role in promoting metabolic fitness associated with calorie restriction and healthy ageing. Using a tissue-specific transgenic approach, the present study demonstrates that over-expression of human SIRT1 selectively in adipose tissue of mice prevents ageing-induced deterioration of insulin sensitivity and ectopic lipid distribution, reduces whole body fat mass and enhances locomotor activity. During ageing, the water-soluble vitamin biotin is progressively accumulated in adipose tissue. Over-expression of SIRT1 alleviates ageing-associated biotin accumulation and reduces the amount of biotinylated proteins, including acetyl CoA carboxylase, a major reservoir of biotin in adipose tissues. Chronic biotin supplementation increases adipose biotin contents and abolishes adipose SIRT1-mediated beneficial effects on insulin sensitivity, lipid metabolism and locomotor activity. Biochemical, spectrometric and chromatographic analysis revealed that biotin and its metabolites act as competitive inhibitors of SIRT1-mediated deacetylation. In summary, these results demonstrate that adipose SIRT1 is a key player in maintaining systemic energy homeostasis and insulin sensitivity; enhancing its activity solely in adipose tissue can prevent ageing-associated metabolic disorders.

haidut

Forum Supporter
So, good news about biotin then. Suppressing SIRT is one of the main protective mechanisms of niacinamide. Usually SIRT inhibitors are HDAC inhibitors as well, and as such could be treatments for cancer. Interestingly, this study above matches a earlier study I posted predicting that biotin would be an HDAC inhibitor.
Dietary HDAC Inhibitors

Queequeg

I am currently supplementing biotin mostly for hair growth but am a bit concerned with this study. What am I missing as it seems to me that this study is saying that Biotin inhibits the benefits of SIRT1.

"SIRT1, a longevity regulator and NAD+-dependent deacetylase, plays a critical role in promoting metabolic fitness associated with calorie restriction and healthy ageing. Using a tissue-specific transgenic approach, the present study demonstrates that over-expression of human SIRT1 selectively in adipose tissue of mice prevents ageing-induced deterioration of insulin sensitivity and ectopic lipid distribution, reduces whole body fat mass and enhances locomotor activity. During ageing, the water-soluble vitamin biotin is progressively accumulated in adipose tissue. Over-expression of SIRT1 alleviates ageing-associated biotin accumulation and reduces the amount of biotinylated proteins, including acetyl CoA carboxylase, a major reservoir of biotin in adipose tissues. Chronic biotin supplementation increases adipose biotin contents and abolishes adipose SIRT1-mediated beneficial effects on insulin sensitivity, lipid metabolism and locomotor activity."

haidut

Forum Supporter
I am currently supplementing biotin mostly for hair growth but am a bit concerned with this study. What am I missing as it seems to me that this study is saying that Biotin inhibits the benefits of SIRT1.

"SIRT1, a longevity regulator and NAD+-dependent deacetylase, plays a critical role in promoting metabolic fitness associated with calorie restriction and healthy ageing. Using a tissue-specific transgenic approach, the present study demonstrates that over-expression of human SIRT1 selectively in adipose tissue of mice prevents ageing-induced deterioration of insulin sensitivity and ectopic lipid distribution, reduces whole body fat mass and enhances locomotor activity. During ageing, the water-soluble vitamin biotin is progressively accumulated in adipose tissue. Over-expression of SIRT1 alleviates ageing-associated biotin accumulation and reduces the amount of biotinylated proteins, including acetyl CoA carboxylase, a major reservoir of biotin in adipose tissues. Chronic biotin supplementation increases adipose biotin contents and abolishes adipose SIRT1-mediated beneficial effects on insulin sensitivity, lipid metabolism and locomotor activity."

Seriously, did you even read through the thread?? My post directly above yours answers your question.

DaveFoster

amethyst

Just an FYI: Caution on using biotin. I was using biotin for hair and nails and I developed a few bumps on my face. I usually never have a problem with my skin (except one time when I was really stressed) I couldn't figure out where they were coming from and read online that it can cause bumps/acne, so if someone has a problem with their skin, they should be cautious in using Biotin.

Orion

Just an FYI: Caution on using biotin. I was using biotin for hair and nails and I developed a few bumps on my face. I usually never have a problem with my skin (except one time when I was really stressed) I couldn't figure out where they were coming from and read online that it can cause bumps/acne, so if someone has a problem with their skin, they should be cautious in using Biotin.

Same here, I am not sure what the mechanism is, but biotin makes sebum production increase greatly. Prolactin is mentioned by RP as promoting sebum production, I wonder if excess biotin affects prolactin levels?

amethyst

Same here, I am not sure what the mechanism is, but biotin makes sebum production increase greatly. Prolactin is mentioned by RP as promoting sebum production, I wonder if excess biotin affects prolactin levels?
Good question. I just know when I was taking about 3,200 mcgs of biotin, I started getting a few strange bumps on my cheeks. They went away once I stopped it.

I'm not quite understanding the gist of this.

So as you age, fat tissues store more biotin. As more biotin in stored, it works to inhibit the activity of the SIRT1 (a protein from a gene that tries to remove acetyl groups), which acts as a method of suppressing SIRT1's positive benefits in the body (this is mostly all beyond me).

Given this I'm inclined to say that biotin supplementation isn't good, and SIRT1 inhibiting isn't good either.

But @haidut is saying it's good because it also suppresses HDAC. Is it only good because that is a pro against cancer? What about the effects of SIRT1 affected in particular? Doesn't seem to be a good tradeoff to reduce one thing to prevent autoimmune issues, but also reducing another that will affect you negatively anyways.

Are there any updates regarding the purported biotin inhibition of SIRT1? i'm taking ALA R Doctor Best which also has biotin (seems synergistic for glucose oxidation) but I'm puzzled about SIRT inhibition which is seen here as positive..

@Mauritio @haidut

Mauritio

Are there any updates regarding the purported biotin inhibition of SIRT1? i'm taking ALA R Doctor Best which also has biotin (seems synergistic for glucose oxidation) but I'm puzzled about SIRT inhibition which is seen here as positive..

@Mauritio @haidut
I wouldnt look at biotin from a reductionistic view of only how it impacts one marker of health in the body , a marker that is quite controversial, as well. Rather you could look at it from a perspective of which direction it shifts the body in , spoiler alert: it's heavily pro-metabolism (glucose oxidation, C02 production, glycogen storage, etc.) So that's good. Im not sure why biotin accumualtes with aging, though.

tasfarelel

Just keep in mind that the whole SIRT1=beneficial stuff is likely all nonsense and David Sinclair who used this story to make himself 300mio wealthier is just another shady guy in science. That SIRT1 activation is likely not beneficial was mentioned here in the forum many times...