Best Way To Remove Lactic Acid From Serum & Muscle

GlycineAddict

So, I'm new and I wasn't quite sure where this one belonged, seemed like it could go a couple of places, but in the end I needed help anyway, so I thought I'd ask.

Little back story I was diagnosed with PCOS when it was just hitting mainstream and if we're all a little honest mainstream still hasn't sorted us all out, which is why we're here taking charge of our own health. Because, if I'm brutally honest I really, really wanted to question slash be very violent with my doctor at 15 when she pretty much took everything off my metaphorical plate at 15 when I was diagnosed. The reason for the back story is because I'm on metformin. Bad, very bad I know. But, I'm not a lifer, and I have NOT been on the stuff since I was 15. I was on got my weight and IR under control and then, lost the control. Hit 300 pounds, scared me out of my ever loving mind. Went back on the metformin, the boyfriend got into Peating - and here I am today.

Now, the main question here is how do I assist my poor abused body in getting rid of the lactic acid? I read a neat little thread in which haidut was involved saying Biotin would be extremely helpful. Is this the only supplement? I'm also taking Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Niacinamide, Riboflavin, Vitamins B 6,9,12; Vitamin K, Ceylon Cinnamon, Glycine, Caffeine and Aspirin.

Any thoughts would be appreciated; and I do plan on stopping the metformin and solely using the cinnamon as soon as I hit my goal weight. I have 80 pounds to go.

tara

:welcome GlycineAddict

If you want to tell more ...

Do you mean your doctor wanted you eat a very restricted diet? Or more metaphorical than that?

Want to tell us a bit more about what you are doing - eg what and how much you are eating, and any other tactics you have tried?

Do you have other troubling symptoms other than concern about your weight/fat?

What strategy are you using to lose weight?

NathanK

Welcome!

Thiamin B1 is what they use in emergency rooms I believe. Otherwise, baking soda

OP
G

GlycineAddict

Thanks Nathan!

And Tara,

Where to start? When I was 15 the doctor basically eliminated all carbs including fruits from my diet (to be honest they would still like to keep my away from carbs), but even at 15 I knew something didn't quite add up and kept eating normally.

Anyway, now at 27 I just smile and nod when I go to the doctor, take what I need from them which may sound brutal, and use it to benefit my own health needs. As, for my current diet I try to get my carbs in the morning before my protein. A side note, I work at a call center so structuring my meals to a) get me to eat and b) keep me eating is difficult. So right now it's morning pills with 8 oz of OJ pretty much right after waking up; about half an hour later I'm then ready to eat which is homemade chocolate oatmeal with honey; around my first break (which is anywhere from 8:15-9:30 (no control there) I eat a couple of hard boiled egg whites heavily salted; lunch varies from week to week but over all I try to limit PUFAs to 0 or negligible, and give myself a decent balance between fat, protein and carbs (hang what the doc says).

As far as other health issues go, I do suffer from migraines from childhood and myofascial pain. I take a medication called topomax for the migraines which makes dark colas taste really weird. Those two, I have under control since beginning the caffeine and aspirin; fingers crossed it's a permanent solution.

So right now, I'm mainly focusing on the weight-loss. I am 70 pounds down which is nothing to sneeze at and have starting seeing a reduction in inches at it were since increasing my cinnamon intake from 2 grams to 3 grams daily.

tara

GlycineAddict said:
post 113499 Where to start? When I was 15 the doctor basically eliminated all carbs including fruits from my diet (to be honest they would still like to keep my away from carbs), but even at 15 I knew something didn't quite add up and kept eating normally.
I can't think of a good excuse for a dr recommending that. Was it because you were showing very high blood sugars? I expect your body knew it needed carbs. I'm not sure what 'normally' means to you. Common diets contain a lot of grains and PUFAs. Glad you are keeping the PUFA low.

Have you had a go at running your diet through cronometer to see roughly whether you are covering your bases? (Don't believe it's calorie recommendations.) Getting plenty of calcium, amagnesium, potassium, sodium, etc? All the vitamins? Some of the B-vitamins are particularly important for sugar metabolism.

GlycineAddict said:
post 113499 As far as other health issues go, I do suffer from migraines from childhood and myofascial pain. I take a medication called topomax for the migraines which makes dark colas taste really weird. Those two, I have under control since beginning the caffeine and aspirin; fingers crossed it's a permanent solution.

That's great that you've got sometihing that works against migraines and myofascial pain. I think topiramate/topamax is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, which means it helps you retain more CO2. CO2 has many essential functions, but one of them is to help soothe nerves. It also helps get appropriate amounts of oxygen into tissues, which should hopefully improve sugar oxidation and reduce reduce lactic acid production. IIUC, lactic acid is produced when the cells are running on glycoysis instead of full oxidation of sugar. One reason this can happen is shortage of oxygen in the cells.

I'm still trying various things to see if I can get a handle on frequent migraines. I think topiramate may be one of the things my GP has offered that I haven't tried yet - I may at some stage. Interesting to read your report. I think you are saying that the combination of topiramate, caffeine and aspirin seems to be what's effective for you?

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

There are other ways of helping restore CO2 levels - anything that improves sugar oxidation should help, since this is how the body produces CO2. Peat recommends frequent short bag-breathing. I've made some improvements by attending to breathing habits - eg retrained diaphragmatic and nasal breathing. Since you are taking the carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, I don't know if there is more to be gained from such approaches.

GlycineAddict said:
post 113499 So right now, I'm mainly focusing on the weight-loss. I am 70 pounds down which is nothing to sneeze at and have starting seeing a reduction in inches at it were since increasing my cinnamon intake from 2 grams to 3 grams daily.
No sneezing here. :)
Do you want to spell out more about what your strategy is here?
There are some risks with resricting food to lose weight - some methods are more likely than others to result in reduced metabolism and lean tissue. There is an interview with Peat on weightloss in the Interviews area that you may find interesting, if you haven't already come across it.
Take care.

Last edited by a moderator:

barefooter

You could look into supplementing with creatine, as it's been shown to reduce lactic acid in muscles by way of promoting ATP production. It seems it's useful for more than just getting ripped, if you do a bit of research on it. Anecdotal, but I used to have burning in my legs when walking around town (assumed high lactic acid) even though I appeared to be in reasonable health. When I started supping creatine, this went away and I felt like I had much greater muscular energy in general.

heartnhands

I can't think of a good excuse for a dr recommending that. Was it because you were showing very high blood sugars? I expect your body knew it needed carbs. I'm not sure what 'normally' means to you. Common diets contain a lot of grains and PUFAs. Glad you are keeping the PUFA low.

Have you had a go at running your diet through cronometer to see roughly whether you are covering your bases? (Don't believe it's calorie recommendations.) Getting plenty of calcium, amagnesium, potassium, sodium, etc? All the vitamins? Some of the B-vitamins are particularly important for sugar metabolism.

That's great that you've got sometihing that works against migraines and myofascial pain. I think topiramate/topamax is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, which means it helps you retain more CO2. CO2 has many essential functions, but one of them is to help soothe nerves. It also helps get appropriate amounts of oxygen into tissues, which should hopefully improve sugar oxidation and reduce reduce lactic acid production. IIUC, lactic acid is produced when the cells are running on glycoysis instead of full oxidation of sugar. One reason this can happen is shortage of oxygen in the cells.

I'm still trying various things to see if I can get a handle on frequent migraines. I think topiramate may be one of the things my GP has offered that I haven't tried yet - I may at some stage. Interesting to read your report. I think you are saying that the combination of topiramate, caffeine and aspirin seems to be what's effective for you?
I used 10mg Topamax for headaches and it was great. Many other folks used lesser or greater doses with good results too. I'd love to know what it actually does because it had a great natural weight loss side effect.

tara

I used 10mg Topamax for headaches and it was great. Many other folks used lesser or greater doses with good results too. I'd love to know what it actually does because it had a great natural weight loss side effect.

From wikipedia:
Several cellular targets have been proposed to be relevant to the therapeutic activity of topiramate.[44] These include (1) voltage-gated sodium channels; (2) high-voltage-activated calcium channels; (3) GABA-A receptors; (4) AMPA/kainate receptors; and (5) carbonic anhydrase isoenzymes.
Topiramate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only one of those possible mechanisms I have much of a clue about what it might mean is that if it inhibits carbonic anhydrase, it would tend to increase blood CO2 levels. If the blood CO2 levels were previously too low, increasing them to a better range can improve oxygen supply to all the tissues that need oxygen, which can improve glucose oxidation and reduce glycolysis (unless something else is making the cells do glycolysis instead of oxidation in the presence of adequate oxygen). This could improve energy in various systems, presumably reducing stress.

There is also a line on the wikipedia page mentioning that it has been used for weight-loss too.

heartnhands

You could look into supplementing with creatine, as it's been shown to reduce lactic acid in muscles by way of promoting ATP production. It seems it's useful for more than just getting ripped, if you do a bit of research on it. Anecdotal, but I used to have burning in my legs when walking around town (assumed high lactic acid) even though I appeared to be in reasonable health. When I started supping creatine, this went away and I felt like I had much greater muscular energy in general.

Interesting share...I'll keep that in my bonnet.

Syncopated

So, I'm new and I wasn't quite sure where this one belonged, seemed like it could go a couple of places, but in the end I needed help anyway, so I thought I'd ask.

Little back story I was diagnosed with PCOS when it was just hitting mainstream and if we're all a little honest mainstream still hasn't sorted us all out, which is why we're here taking charge of our own health. Because, if I'm brutally honest I really, really wanted to question slash be very violent with my doctor at 15 when she pretty much took everything off my metaphorical plate at 15 when I was diagnosed. The reason for the back story is because I'm on metformin. Bad, very bad I know. But, I'm not a lifer, and I have NOT been on the stuff since I was 15. I was on got my weight and IR under control and then, lost the control. Hit 300 pounds, scared me out of my ever loving mind. Went back on the metformin, the boyfriend got into Peating - and here I am today.

Now, the main question here is how do I assist my poor abused body in getting rid of the lactic acid? I read a neat little thread in which haidut was involved saying Biotin would be extremely helpful. Is this the only supplement? I'm also taking Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Niacinamide, Riboflavin, Vitamins B 6,9,12; Vitamin K, Ceylon Cinnamon, Glycine, Caffeine and Aspirin.

Any thoughts would be appreciated; and I do plan on stopping the metformin and solely using the cinnamon as soon as I hit my goal weight. I have 80 pounds to go.

T3 cynomel/cytomel probably most important with gelatin and aspirin. ONLY coconut oil and milk fat.

johnwester130

Why would I eat sugar and convert it all to lactic acid and ammonia,

but a child eats sugar and processes it properly ?

tara

Speculating ...
Deficiency of oxygen or or red light or various other essential cofactors for oxidation of sugars?
Hypoxia because stress can set up self-reinforcing hyperventilation.
Red light because relative to children, adults have a lower surface to volume ratio.
Various other factors because cumulative damage can reduce our efficiency at extracting nutrition from our food, and periods of stress can have cumulative damaging effects on our systems in other ways.

Also, age-related accumulation of PUFAs, iron, or other substances interfering with glucose-oxidation.

DaveFoster

@haidut

Do you know anything about topiramate? It's a very commonly prescribed "mood stabilizer," and a lot of people report good effects from it. It also gives some a metallic taste to all foods oddly enough. It's also a carbonic anhydrase (CA) inhibitor as mentioned.

Its molecule's quite cool as well:

512px-Topiramate_structure.svg.png

Topiramate_3D.png

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut

Do you know anything about topiramate? It's a very commonly prescribed "mood stabilizer," and a lot of people report good effects from it. It also gives some a metallic taste to all foods oddly enough. It's also a carbonic anhydrase (CA) inhibitor as mentioned.

Its molecule's quite cool as well:

512px-Topiramate_structure.svg.png

Topiramate_3D.png

I think one needs to be careful with sulfa drugs, but other than that it looks relatively benign. It's main effects are GABA agonism and CA inhibition. Interestingly, it contains fructose in its molecule, so now I am wondering if fructose is itself a GABA agonist and CA inhibitor.

DaveFoster

I think one needs to be careful with sulfa drugs, but other than that it looks relatively benign. It's main effects are GABA agonism and CA inhibition. Interestingly, it contains fructose in its molecule, so now I am wondering if fructose is itself a GABA agonist and CA inhibitor.
"Fructose compared with glucose may be a weaker suppressor of appetite. Here we sought to determine the effects of fructose versus glucose on brain, hormone, and appetitive responses to food cues and food-approach behavior. We show that the ingestion of fructose compared with glucose resulted in smaller increases in plasma insulin levels and greater brain responses to food cues in the visual cortex and left orbital frontal cortex. Ingestion of fructose versus glucose also led to greater hunger and desire for food and a greater willingness to give up long-term monetary rewards to obtain immediate high-calorie foods. These findings suggest that ingestion of fructose relative to glucose activates brain regions involved in attention and reward processing and may promote feeding behavior."

Reference: Differential effects of fructose versus glucose on brain and appetitive responses to food cues and decisions for food rewards

Maybe we should to feed fructose to Wall Street banksters.

Here's for glucose:

"...During systemic insulin-induced hypoglycemia (1.8 +/- 0.3 mM), nigral dialysate GABA concentrations decreased by 49 +/- 4% whereas levels of dopamine in striatal dialysates increased by 119 +/- 18%. We conclude that both local and systemic glucose availability influences nigral GABA release via an effect on KATP channels and that inhibition of GABA release may in part mediate the hyperexcitability associated with hypoglycemia. These data support the hypothesis that glucose acts as a signaling molecule, and not simply as an energy-yielding fuel, for neuron."

Reference: Glucose modulates rat substantia nigra GABA release in vivo via ATP-sensitive potassium channels. - PubMed - NCBI

haidut

Forum Supporter
"Fructose compared with glucose may be a weaker suppressor of appetite. Here we sought to determine the effects of fructose versus glucose on brain, hormone, and appetitive responses to food cues and food-approach behavior. We show that the ingestion of fructose compared with glucose resulted in smaller increases in plasma insulin levels and greater brain responses to food cues in the visual cortex and left orbital frontal cortex. Ingestion of fructose versus glucose also led to greater hunger and desire for food and a greater willingness to give up long-term monetary rewards to obtain immediate high-calorie foods. These findings suggest that ingestion of fructose relative to glucose activates brain regions involved in attention and reward processing and may promote feeding behavior."

Reference: Differential effects of fructose versus glucose on brain and appetitive responses to food cues and decisions for food rewards

Maybe we should to feed fructose to Wall Street banksters.

Here's for glucose:

"...During systemic insulin-induced hypoglycemia (1.8 +/- 0.3 mM), nigral dialysate GABA concentrations decreased by 49 +/- 4% whereas levels of dopamine in striatal dialysates increased by 119 +/- 18%. We conclude that both local and systemic glucose availability influences nigral GABA release via an effect on KATP channels and that inhibition of GABA release may in part mediate the hyperexcitability associated with hypoglycemia. These data support the hypothesis that glucose acts as a signaling molecule, and not simply as an energy-yielding fuel, for neuron."

Reference: Glucose modulates rat substantia nigra GABA release in vivo via ATP-sensitive potassium channels. - PubMed - NCBI

Glucose also seems to be a glycine "receptor" agonist (and thus pro-GABA), matching the study you posted about hypoglycemia driving inhibition in GABA signalling.
Glucose has the same effect on the brain as glycine

golder

Is sour body odor a sign of lactic acidosis?

Keen to get an answer to this. My sweat is also rather sharp, and I wondered if that was indicitive?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals