Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) Studied For Cancer

haidut

Forum Supporter
If you go to the American Cancer Society website, there is a special section on "quack" treatments for cancer and one of the listed quacks is baking soda. As is usually the case, bashing something publicly does nor prevent big pharma of studying it privately for fun and profit (i.e. see my posts about beta-lapachone). It looks like baking soda is no exception.

Neutralizing acidic tumor environment increases efficacy of immune-targeting cancer therapies

"...The team treated mice with the neutralizing agent sodium bicarbonate. They observed that, although sodium bicarbonate by itself did not reduce the growth of melanoma tumors in mice, it did increase the levels of T cells within the tumor. The ability of sodium bicarbonate to increase levels of T cells in the tumor suggests that it could work in conjunction with PD-1 and CTLA-4 inhibitors to further stimulate the immune system. The researchers confirmed this by showing that treatment of mice with sodium bicarbonate and CTLA-4 or PD-1 inhibitors reduced melanoma and pancreatic tumor growth when compared to each agent alone. Another promising immune therapy is infusing with T cells that are specifically active against a patient's tumor, and this showed much higher efficacy in combination with bicarbonate. "The acidic pH encountered in a tumor microenvironment has significant immunosuppressive effects. By neutralizing this acid with buffers, we were able to improve the response of melanoma and pancreatic tumors to immunotherapy," said Robert J. Gillies, Ph.D., chair of the Department of Cancer Imaging and Metabolism at Moffitt. The first author of the work, Shari Pilon-Thomas, Ph.D., assistant member of the Immunology Program at Moffitt, added, "This work adds tumor derived acidity to the list of immunosuppressive factors that are secreted by tumors". In the future, Moffitt researchers plan to initiate a clinical trial to assess if treatment with sodium bicarbonate increases the efficacy of anti-PD1 therapy in pancreatic cancer and melanoma patients."

Giraffe

Bicarbonate Increases Tumor pH and Inhibits Spontaneous Metastases

Abstract
The external pH of solid tumors is acidic as a consequence of increased metabolism of glucose and poor perfusion. Acid pH has been shown to stimulate tumor cell invasion and metastasis in vitro and in cells before tail vein injection in vivo. The present study investigates whether inhibition of this tumor acidity will reduce the incidence of in vivo metastases. Here, we show that oral NaHCO3 selectively increased the pH of tumors and reduced the formation of spontaneous metastases in mouse models of metastatic breast cancer. This treatment regimen was shown to significantly increase the extracellular pH, but not the intracellular pH, of tumors by 31P magnetic resonance spectroscopy and the export of acid from growing tumors by fluorescence microscopy of tumors grown in window chambers. NaHCO3 therapy also reduced the rate of lymph node involvement, yet did not affect the levels of circulating tumor cells, suggesting that reduced organ metastases were not due to increased intravasation. In contrast, NaHCO3 therapy significantly reduced the formation of hepatic metastases following intrasplenic injection, suggesting that it did inhibit extravasation and colonization. In tail vein injections of alternative cancer models, bicarbonate had mixed results, inhibiting the formation of metastases from PC3M prostate cancer cells, but not those of B16 melanoma. Although the mechanism of this therapy is not known with certainty, low pH was shown to increase the release of active cathepsin B, an important matrix remodeling protease.

Sodium bicarbonate was mixed into the drinking water which the mice could consume ad libitum. The daily intake of bicarbonate was calculated from the water intake. "An equivalent dose in a 70-kg human would be 12.5 g/d (20)."

It's worth to have a look at the study, the figures are quite impressive.

NathanK

I'm a fan. It wasn't my aim (I just wanted to lower post workout lactic acid), but after taking baking soda it permanently cured a rash I had on my tailbone for years that neither I or my doctors could heal.

Later I found out the connection with our gut and rashes. I believe the people who view B.S. as a cancer treatment are also of the belief that cancer is of fungal origin. B.S. is a powerful antifungal. That's what the "quacks" say anyway.

Along with various youtube vids on the subject pertaining to cancer, I know Dr. Sircus has written extensively about it.

mujuro

Dr. Sircus is a huge champion of magnesium bicarbonate as well, I believe.