Association Of Sugary Beverage Consumption With Mortality Risk In US Adults

Rambo

I haven't had the chance to do a deep dive into the article, but I wanted to get the conversation started. I'm hoping some of the more seasoned scientists (lay or otherwise) can point out the flaws in this study and why this association is not necessarily causal. My initial thought is that you can't just start choking down the sugared coffee, orange juice, and Mexican coke without also minimizing PUFA. So, in other words, a high PUFA/high sugar diet is worse than a high PUFA/low sugar diet. But, the Ray Peat argument is a low PUFA/high sugar diet is optimal... correct?

Would you agree that an increase in sugar consumption without changing other diet parameters is a step in the wrong direction and is associated with mortality risk? Or do you believe that an increase in sugar consumption has nothing to do with the mortality risk?

Association of Sugary Beverage Consumption With Mortality Risk in US Adults

redsun

I haven't had the chance to do a deep dive into the article, but I wanted to get the conversation started. I'm hoping some of the more seasoned scientists (lay or otherwise) can point out the flaws in this study and why this association is not necessarily causal. My initial thought is that you can't just start choking down the sugared coffee, orange juice, and Mexican coke without also minimizing PUFA. So, in other words, a high PUFA/high sugar diet is worse than a high PUFA/low sugar diet. But, the Ray Peat argument is a low PUFA/high sugar diet is optimal... correct?

Would you agree that an increase in sugar consumption without changing other diet parameters is a step in the wrong direction and is associated with mortality risk? Or do you believe that an increase in sugar consumption has nothing to do with the mortality risk?

This is the same thing they do with meat, especially red meat. They say meat comsumption is associated with cancer risk. Associations mean virtually nothing. If you arent controlling variables it has no significant implications. Even more so the study showed fruit juice had a higher percent increase in all-mortality risk then sugary drinks. That alone demonstrates the absurdity.

tankasnowgod

Well, I don't know how well you can track anyone's dietary habits, let alone draw any sort of conclusions from said data, when you only interview them every 6 months.

Runenight201

Wearing sun glasses is associated with a higher risk of skin cancer.

Association never implies causation.

In all fairness though, sugar cannot just be consumed ad libitum without awareness of how it’s affecting the body. Ray has always said that ripe fruit is preferred to white sugar, and in my experience this is true also. Sugar cannot replace fruit consumption, but used in conjunction with fruit consumption provides a superior level of performance and energy compared to a sugar-free diet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals