Aspirin With Castor Oil For Hair Loss

Jackson Chung

Hi Guys,

So it is known that Aspirin blocks the synthesis of prostaglandins. If I remember correctly, it is PGD2 that causes hair loss. However it is known that PGE2 actually causes hair growth. As we know Ricinoleic Acid is about 90% of castor oil. It is not a PUFA and actually is mono-unsaturated.

As we know castor oil is a very popular hair loss treatment so there may be something there...

What is your guys' opinion of topical application of castor oil with oral aspirin to block synthesis of ALL prostaglandins? I don't know if this will work, but currently I mix 50% coconut oil, 37% castor oil and the remaining as vitamin E oil (Jason Vitamin E oil 32,000 I.U.). I don't take aspirin, but would consider it.

Thanks

Frankdee20

Hi Guys,

So it is known that Aspirin blocks the synthesis of prostaglandins. If I remember correctly, it is PGD2 that causes hair loss. However it is known that PGE2 actually causes hair growth. As we know Ricinoleic Acid is about 90% of castor oil. It is not a PUFA and actually is mono-unsaturated.

As we know castor oil is a very popular hair loss treatment so there may be something there...

What is your guys' opinion of topical application of castor oil with oral aspirin to block synthesis of ALL prostaglandins? I don't know if this will work, but currently I mix 50% coconut oil, 37% castor oil and the remaining as vitamin E oil (Jason Vitamin E oil 32,000 I.U.). I don't take aspirin, but would consider it.

Thanks

Castor oil is greasy and simply makes hair look thicker. Nothing except Rogaine regrow hair, and the 5ar drugs. Nothing

eddiem991

Castor oil works wonders for my hair, after less than a month I could see regrowth on my temples. I have only taken it orally though. Too greasy to be put on topically.

Frankdee20

Castor oil works wonders for my hair, after less than a month I could see regrowth on my temples. I have only taken it orally though. Too greasy to be put on topically.

I never knew taking it internally helps hair

TibRex

I know it's weird but it actually does.
Thanks for sharing the info. Could you describe the regimen, etc., Once a day? how much each? length of time before seeing results? do you down the stuff with some other fluids?

Am I right in assuming that you're now also free of constipation thanks to this wholesome oil?

TibRex

Lol, so should I be talking to my hair like a plant, give it love ?

That would a great start - seriously :) But before one can have a dialog like that, one will need to bridge the gap first. According to herbpathy.com, there are 40+ uses for castor oil. You can see them listed here: Castor Oil Herb Uses, Benefits, Cures, Side Effects, Nutrients. It needs to be mixed with other less-greasy oils like coconut, jojoba or olive, to thin it down sufficiently to be be useful for hair growth.

It is serious biz in Indian families... mothers would firmly make their children take it which they hate of course. My neighbor told me how he, as a boy, had to undergo the monthly or weekly regimen. He and his sibling would keep running and circling their house while holding the awesome stuff in the mouth ... delay swallowing tactic, that is :)

Frankdee20

If it was that effective at regrowing hair, there’d be much more surrounding it.

Travis

Hi Guys,

Thanks
I think that would certainly lower total prostaglandin synthesis is two ways: by inhibiting cyclooxygenase with aspirin, and also inhibiting the same with the castor oils. Any long unsaturated fatty acid appears to inhibit cyclooxygenase by competition (but they don't bind strongly like aspirin and indomethacin do).

But of course this does nothing about the prostaglandin D₂:E₂ ratio. For that, you need to inhibit cortisol. It is cortisol that increases the transcription of the enzyme which specifically makes prostaglandin D₂. Here is just one study that I've read, but I've read more:

And this is the long‐awaited link between cortisol and prostaglandin D₂.

The prostaglandin D₂ gradient which characterized the balding scalp is probably synonymous with the cortisol gradient. Cortisol is carried within the seven spongy α-helices of serum albumin. It has been experimentally determined, both with sex steroid binding proteins and serum albumin (using tryptophan), that steroids are concentrated in areas of microcirculation. This is indeed intuitive, as there is more surface are in said areas. Also: I think we could expect a slightly higher pressure in microcirculatory regions consequent of a progressively‐tapering artery, especially with a fluctuating blood pressure as small vessels are more sensitive to increasing pressure (greater relative increase in diameter per mmHg). You could only expect higher cortisol in microcirculatory regions, and higher prostaglandind D₂ synthase levels would be the result. This is exactly what is found:

Larson, Allison R. "A prostaglandin d‐synthase‐positive mast cell gradient characterizes scalp patterning." Journal of cutaneous pathology (2014)
Garza, Luis A. "Prostaglandin D₂ inhibits hair growth and is elevated in bald scalp of men with androgenetic alopecia." Science translational medicine (2012)

Although cyclooxygenase inhibitors could work some, blockers of the mineralcorticoid receptor would work too. These are non‐conflicting pathways and the results would add—perhaps even synergize. You could also use cyclosporine to inhibit γ-interferon, a cytokine which invades the cells and transcribes the other main prostaglandin-forming enzyme: phospholipase A₂.

Wu, Tong. "Interferon-gamma induces the synthesis and activation of cytosolic phospholipase A₂." The Journal of clinical investigation (1994)

This is a very consistent finding; you could bet the farm (or the house (or the apartment)) that interferon-γ will do this every time. This is also released by ingesting grains in some people, as the body thinks it's under attack whenever a large undigested peptide gets absorbed.

Hypertrichosis has been reported in over 95% of patients on cyclosporine therapy. Gamma-interferon is also released during leismaniasis infection, where it predictably causes bald spots in animals. Cyclosporine is the most effect hair drug but it's a large cyclic peptide, making transdermal absorption difficult. It is so notorious for low penetrance that covalent modifications of the structure have been made with specific intent of improving this (Rothbard, 2000).

So I personally vote a low linoleic acid diet, anti-mineralocorticoid (spironolactone), anti-γ-interferon (cyclosporine A), and anti-11β-HSD₁ (enoxolone)—the enzyme responsible for converting cortisone into cortisol on the skin. None of the aforementioned drugs compete with eachother and they all interfere with prostaglandin D₂ synthesis in some way—and they all have been shown to regrow hair.

But I must warn you: cyclooxygenase inhibitor indomethacin has been reported to cause hair loss (Tosti, 1994). I think if you near-completely inhibit prostaglandinds you can shut down the hair cycle. The hair keratin genes have PPAR reseponse elements, meaning that prostaglandins are needed to create keratin mRNA (and subsequent protein). I think cyclooxygenase inhibitors could be useful, but I think they could be a detriment if using an extremely strong one—such as indomethacin—in very high concentrations/dosages.

Tosti, Antonella. "Drug-induced hair loss and hair growth." Drug Safety (1994)

Last edited:

eddiem991

Thanks for sharing the info. Could you describe the regimen, etc., Once a day? how much each? length of time before seeing results? do you down the stuff with some other fluids?

Am I right in assuming that you're now also free of constipation thanks to this wholesome oil?

I take 1-2 ml per day. I take it with water first thing in the morning. Havn't noticed any diffrence in constipation. But I have never had constipation so.

eddiem991

So I personally vote a low linoleic acid diet, anti-mineralocorticoid (spironolactone), anti-γ-interferon (cyclosporine A), and anti-11β-HSD₁ (enoxolone)—the enzyme responsible for converting cortisone into cortisol on the skin. None of the aforementioned drugs compete with eachother and they all interfere with prostaglandin D₂ synthesis in some way—and they all have been shown to regrow hair.

Which of these should be taken orally respectively topically?

eddiem991

There has to be some kind of inflamation in the bloodvessels in the scalp for cortisol to be elavated (cortisol is anti-inflamatory), the question is why is there inflamation in the first place. Is it because of PUFAs???

Travis

I think you want to take all of those drugs topically. A little spironolactone probably can't do any harm, but you certainly would not want to ingest enoxolone. I think cyclosporine is probably the safest, but you'd want to take small amounts. You'd have to read about how much they give to people as an immunosuppressant, and certainly take less than that. You'd probably want to read about spironolactone and cyclosporine before taking them orally. Taking enoxolone orally would just be silly because you'd probably die before it'd have any significant effect on hair. Enoxolone inhibits the 11β-HSD₂ in the kidneys causing rapid sodium loss. The more prevalent 11β-HSD₁ enzyme is actually bidirectional, and serves to turn cortisone into cortisol on the skin. The reverse reaction still does occur (cortisol⟶ cortisone), and is catalyzed by the very same enzyme, but when found in the skin it always tends towards cortisol (cortisone⟶ cortisol).

Travis

There has to be some kind of inflamation in the bloodvessels in the scalp for cortisol to be elavated (cortisol is anti-inflamatory), the question is why is there inflamation in the first place. Is it because of PUFAs???
Cortisol has about equal affinity for the mineralocorticoid and glucocorticoid receptors. Dexamethasone, prednisolone, and cortisone are far more anti‐inflammatory; you would then have to assume that these effects are mediated through the glucocorticoid receptor. However, any cortisol not binding with the glucocorticoid receptor would still be expected to increase prostaglandin D₂ synthase through the nuclear mineralcorticoid receptor.

Last edited: