Are Topical Oils For The Skin A PUFA?

Peata

The 2 oz. jar of Almost Unscented had a way different texture than the other one. I understand as a natural product there will be variations in batches, but it was unpleasant to use. Kind of dry. The other one had a nice fluffy -easy-to-spread texture. I would re-order but I just can't afford it. It was fun to try though, as I'd never used tallow on my skin.

Jenn and I must have had the same thoughts, because today I also whipped up a small batch of skin care. I would have loved to put cocoa butter in mine, but I need to get some. Where do you get yours, Jenn?

Here's what I put in mine with the stuff I had around the house: 10 T. coconut oil, 3 T. melted butter, 1 T. honey, 6 drops progest-e. I used the blender.

It has remained liquidy, so next time I want to use less coconut oil and more butter (actually I want to make it into ghee) or else get cocoa butter. I want an actual cream, not an oil, not a solid... so I will experiment. But for now I have a very nice body oil.

Peata

Thank you, Jenn.

A question for you or anyone who knows: Which do you prefer (or is more Peat-approved) between Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter?

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

the almost unscented is like that for me and very hard to apply and spread. gave me quite a workout the other night as i put it all over my body. i kept lifting up and massaging so i became really dizzy and even had a black out from all the work. i'm going to ask kenneth why the different textures. which is the one that had a fluffy texture?

Peata

Stunning4keke said:
the almost unscented is like that for me and very hard to apply and spread. gave me quite a workout the other night as i put it all over my body. i kept lifting up and massaging so i became really dizzy and even had a black out from all the work. i'm going to ask kenneth why the different textures. which is the one that had a fluffy texture?

Pretty Girl scent had the nice texture.

Peata

I was surprised to find my concoction firmed up on its own a few days ago.

It had been sitting in the jar (I reused the one the tallow came in) on the dresser and I hadn't been using it much, as I was using up something else. Then I go to use it and find it looks and feels a lot like petroleum jelly - maybe a little softer. And it wasn't just the temperature that changed it because my regular coconut oil was liquid still in its container. The new texture of my homemade stuff has made it pleasant to use now. Maybe the ingredients just needed time to meld together.

Peata

A couple days ago I got my cocoa butter in the mail. I mixed coconut oil and cocoa butter with 6 drops Progest E. It stayed in oil form until today when it started firming up. I love it. I have the most awesome skin care now. No estrogenic essential oils, just yummy chocolate. It feels great to use. So glad I have this skincare product and I made it myself from stuff I can eat.

Bluebell

That's so good! I'm still working on finding/making some good natural products, at the moment I just use natural soaps. How do you find the Progest E on your skin, are there any good effects?

Peata

I haven't been consistent with using Progest-E alone on my skin to notice anything. I just added it to the 2 oz of cream I made for any benefit it might have, plus the vitamine E might help preserve the formula longer (though I think it doesn't really need the preservative since I'll use it up rather quickly).

Bluebell

Regarding Godiva's recipe:

Could the fatty acids in the tallow be damaged by the prolonged high heat of boiling the tallow in water? (usually tallow is rendered lower heat, being careful to only have enough heat to just melt it).

Will the tallow itself become more alkaline in pH from the deodorizing process, & therefore not so good to apply to skin (ideal for skin is very slightly acid)? (sodium bicarb is extremely alkaline)

gretchen

It amazes me the popularity of things like Argan oil. It's a top-seller at Sephora and probably won't go away any time soon.

Bluebell

OK, I made the tallow as per the recipe, but it does smell (I have a good sense of smell).

I can smell it after I've put it on my face, it keeps coming up in wafts. Just smells like old fat/not clean/old dirty washing up. Don't like it on myself, & wouldn't want to smell it on other people either!

I don't want to cover it up with essential oils as then I'll smell like tallow + essential oils.

How does anyone else using tallow feel about the smell?

Bluebell

Just realised, I don't want to sound ungrateful - thank you so, so much for posting your recipe Godiva, I really appreciate it!! :D . I'll keep on experimenting and hopefully come up with a way to remove the smell.

messtafarian

Hi:

Almond and sesame oils have an extremely high molecular weight, and it is unlikely that a tremendous amount, if any, PUFA enter the body due to these substances. Essential oils, though, will cross the barrier into the bloodstream and I feel a lot of these are actually potent medicines with specific actions on endocrine activity. Some of these things might make a person's skin look better but also be estrogenic compounds or endocrine disruptors. Essential oils are not PUFA although the carrier oil may be. But they are drugs.

HDD

I made this a few months ago and used vanilla extract because I didn't have any essential oils. It smells ok. I don't really notice the scent once I put it on. My animals verified that I did not smell like beef. Before I deoderized the tallow, I rubbed some on my leg to see what it was like, my pug licked me clean. After deoderizing and adding the vanilla, she doesn't even sniff my legs.

I do like the tallow as a moisturizer. Hopefully you can add something to mask the smell.

Bluebell

Haagendazendiane said:
I made this a few months ago and used vanilla extract because I didn't have any essential oils. It smells ok. I don't really notice the scent once I put it on. My animals verified that I did not smell like beef. Before I deoderized the tallow, I rubbed some on my leg to see what it was like, my pug licked me clean. After deoderizing and adding the vanilla, she doesn't even sniff my legs.

I do like the tallow as a moisturizer. Hopefully you can add something to mask the smell.

That's so cute, your pug tested it for you :P

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
Before I deoderized the tallow, I rubbed some on my leg to see what it was like, my pug licked me clean.
What a lil helper!
HDD, perhaps you need a mug like this!

pug_licking_day_mug-rbec87cf675bc44d19d9e907c271bdafe_x7jg5_8byvr_324.jpg

tomisonbottom

Bluebell said:
OK, I made the tallow as per the recipe, but it does smell (I have a good sense of smell).

I can smell it after I've put it on my face, it keeps coming up in wafts. Just smells like old fat/not clean/old dirty washing up. Don't like it on myself, & wouldn't want to smell it on other people either!

I don't want to cover it up with essential oils as then I'll smell like tallow + essential oils.

How does anyone else using tallow feel about the smell?

Just wanted to check; you did do the baking soda step and it still smelled to strong?
Thanks!