Amphetamines And Nicotine

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I'm glad the Vyvanse info is useful! I read that addiction is caused by a lack of dopaminergic activity, but the overstimulation that addictive substances provide further reduces dopamine signaling by downregulating D2 receptors, so it becomes a vicious cycle.

This is what Peat has to say about mental illness and puberty: "The incidence of the attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder is increasing in the US, somewhat faster among girls than boys (Robison, et al.,2002). In schizophrenic teenagers, the brain shrinks, suggesting an interaction of the hormones of puberty with environmental toxins or deficiencies." So I think although the link may not be causal, there may be some worsening of symptoms caused by puberty (especially estrogen)? Estrogen raises prolactin, and elevated prolactin is a sign of reduced D2 signaling, so I think there may be some unexplored relation between estrogen and addiction/focus considering how the obvious inference from the fact that estrogen raises prolactin is that estrogen reduces D2 activity.

I've taken progesterone, drink plenty of coffee regularly, and take B1 regularly, but they don't help with ADHD. I definitely will try the carrot salad, though. I'm reading that endotoxin is a huge contributor to excess serotonin, of which I definitely have many symptoms.

I often feel much better after I have deep conversations with people, but it's very hard for me to move past the "acquaintance" stage with anyone, both with potential romantic interests and just potential close friends. My gut feeling is that this would definitely be the most helpful thing to work on but also the hardest...

Thank you for your detailed reply and advice!
Of course; I'd try more coffee as well; I'm not sure how much you drink, but try stronger coffee if it doesn't give you anxiety. Caffeine strongly opposes estrogen. My ADHD symptoms improve if I go up to 200-300 mg of caffeine every few hours or so; any less, and I just get the antidepressant effects.

Keeping the gut clean is necessary. A small carrot salad eaten every 6 hours is helpful. Just grate a lot of carrots at the beginning of the weak, store in a container with salt, vinegar and MCT oil added in the fridge. Take out a little bit whenever needed.

Guanfacine suggests that adrenergic hyperactivity is a causative factor in ADHD.

Constatine

I'm glad the Vyvanse info is useful! I read that addiction is caused by a lack of dopaminergic activity, but the overstimulation that addictive substances provide further reduces dopamine signaling by downregulating D2 receptors, so it becomes a vicious cycle.

This is what Peat has to say about mental illness and puberty: "The incidence of the attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder is increasing in the US, somewhat faster among girls than boys (Robison, et al.,2002). In schizophrenic teenagers, the brain shrinks, suggesting an interaction of the hormones of puberty with environmental toxins or deficiencies." So I think although the link may not be causal, there may be some worsening of symptoms caused by puberty (especially estrogen)? Estrogen raises prolactin, and elevated prolactin is a sign of reduced D2 signaling, so I think there may be some unexplored relation between estrogen and addiction/focus considering how the obvious inference from the fact that estrogen raises prolactin is that estrogen reduces D2 activity.

I've taken progesterone, drink plenty of coffee regularly, and take B1 regularly, but they don't help with ADHD. I definitely will try the carrot salad, though. I'm reading that endotoxin is a huge contributor to excess serotonin, of which I definitely have many symptoms.

I often feel much better after I have deep conversations with people, but it's very hard for me to move past the "acquaintance" stage with anyone, both with potential romantic interests and just potential close friends. My gut feeling is that this would definitely be the most helpful thing to work on but also the hardest...

Thank you for your detailed reply and advice!
What is your lifestyle like? I find that waking up early every day and doing 30 minutes of yoga (upon waking up) along with going to bed relatively early dramatically benefits my motivation and general dopamine system. Sunlight, especially early morning sunlight, is very important for fighting ADHD.

Frankdee20

whats the mechanism for this?

Nicotine acts as a receptor agonist on Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors. Some of these innervate the Mesolimbic Dopamine system, and raise DA.

Brandin

I'm not sure. Maybe your not doing it with enough food. ADD and low will power is caused by low thyroid, running on stress hormones. So you should adress that first and establish a foundation, before you look to enhance performance.
well actually adhd can be cause by the gene of removing the ability to lower the inflamation in the brain where dopamine/gaba and so on are located. I dont remember what it was but its something that binds to nitric oxide and becomes highly inflammatory. It is the abillity to remove this specific inflammatory thing from the body that cause people like me (very active thyroid) to have adhd... It not just constant inflammation cause otherwise im not inflamed. I did get plenty of vaccines when I was a child...

Frankdee20

Methylphenidate seems to be the most mild of the amphetamine salts; it even has neuroprotective effects when paired with very low doses of methamphetamine. Ray Peat views the amphetamines to work similarly to estrogen and choline; they enhance concentration and memory in the short-term, but at the cost of long-term damage.
Methylphenidate is not related to amphetamine in structure but it is a stimulant with no affinity for serotonin reuptake, unlike amphetamine and cocaine

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals