Alkalizing Diet Versus Acidic - Which Supposedly Causes Cancer, What Does Ray Say?

I_am

I read a good bit from Otto Warburg, I can't find the original website I was reading his work on though. Here is a link that sums it up: What Otto Warburg Actually Discovered About Cancer

It's really fascinating and after discovering his ideas, Weston Price and now Ray Peat - I am just, I am :)

My grandma died of cancer when I was kid and since then I've had an obsession and immense fear of it. It's gotten better in the last couple years though.

pboy

i think Ray says healthy cells should be acidic cause via the metabolism they are generating and kicking out C02...but if they are acidic from lactic acid its different and a bad thing, then that lactic adic also makes the blood slightly acidic which is bad. Its a weird thing I don't think...well it isn't weird but there seems to be no consensus about what people are referring to when they speak of this topic. I think acidic people are the ones with bad breath and various other things, supposedly gout, cancer, heart stuff, bad for liver or people get irate...old systems of medicine refer to it as being hot blood overheated and hot temperament and things. The thing is being acidic I think actually is cooling but heating in the sense, overheating the temperament, but actual body temp maybe not unless the person had high cortisol at the time or stress signals and hormones. Something like OJ is technically very acidic where as a grain of brown rice might be acidic in the mineral balance sense but has near neutral PH, but the OJ apparently leaves an alkaline residue. So I guess it depends what people are reffering to and the fate of these molecules/elements and where and what function they are referring to. Citric and malic acid's fate might be co2 ultimately which is acidic but can leave the body easily and apparently according to Peat is a stabilizing factor, promotive factor where it is generated and overall, but maybe tartaric acid who's fate is uncertain or more likely to leave the body in the urine as is, or lactic acid from not able to breath, or cells not able to breath, well, apparently sends signals that impair metabolism, raise stress molecules, and basically bad things and collagen formation potential according to Peat ect. I think the necessary acidic molecules/elements of course are needed and good so long as theyre in balance, some fruit acids are ultimately similar to sugar post digest, but other fruit acids or sugar alcohols, maybe bacterial residuals of various types, and other things are not ideal or suspect...then you have the calcium aspect which again you get various perspectives, sometimes I read high phosphorus is excreted by parathyroid and then Peat says parathyroid chronically is responsible for many terrible or bad things, and the real cause of calcium deposition in the arteries and things where it shouldn't be. How much vitamin D plays a factor I'm not 100% sure. I think its fair to say a high meat and grain particularly whole grain diet is gonna be more acidic and fruit is more or less unless offensive neutral, more vegetative matter from leaves and things is more alkaline usually, dairy depending on the type is more or less alkaline or acidic, it depends which factor you mean like yogurt is calcium alkaline but lactic acid acidic. Calcium supplements can or are the only way I'm aware of to be too alkaline, or that has that potential....maybe a few rare spices if used in absurdly high or clearly too high amounts, or maybe some poorly washed corn tortillas made with lime...I think ive seen some that have 15%+ calcium per tortilla which probably if you ate a ton could throw you off. So basically pretty sure you can easily get too acidic but its really hard to ever get too alkaline, and to lean towards the 'alkaline' which is including various things, would be safer generally, but would that alone prevent cancer or whatever it is someone might be going for...it would probably be on the helping side but alone don't know

OP
I_am

I_am

i think Ray says healthy cells should be acidic cause via the metabolism they are generating and kicking out C02...but if they are acidic from lactic acid its different and a bad thing, then that lactic adic also makes the blood slightly acidic which is bad. Its a weird thing I don't think...well it isn't weird but there seems to be no consensus about what people are referring to when they speak of this topic. I think acidic people are the ones with bad breath and various other things, supposedly gout, cancer, heart stuff, bad for liver or people get irate...old systems of medicine refer to it as being hot blood overheated and hot temperament and things. The thing is being acidic I think actually is cooling but heating in the sense, overheating the temperament, but actual body temp maybe not unless the person had high cortisol at the time or stress signals and hormones. Something like OJ is technically very acidic where as a grain of brown rice might be acidic in the mineral balance sense but has near neutral PH, but the OJ apparently leaves an alkaline residue. So I guess it depends what people are reffering to and the fate of these molecules/elements and where and what function they are referring to. Citric and malic acid's fate might be co2 ultimately which is acidic but can leave the body easily and apparently according to Peat is a stabilizing factor, promotive factor where it is generated and overall, but maybe tartaric acid who's fate is uncertain or more likely to leave the body in the urine as is, or lactic acid from not able to breath, or cells not able to breath, well, apparently sends signals that impair metabolism, raise stress molecules, and basically bad things and collagen formation potential according to Peat ect. I think the necessary acidic molecules/elements of course are needed and good so long as theyre in balance, some fruit acids are ultimately similar to sugar post digest, but other fruit acids or sugar alcohols, maybe bacterial residuals of various types, and other things are not ideal or suspect...then you have the calcium aspect which again you get various perspectives, sometimes I read high phosphorus is excreted by parathyroid and then Peat says parathyroid chronically is responsible for many terrible or bad things, and the real cause of calcium deposition in the arteries and things where it shouldn't be. How much vitamin D plays a factor I'm not 100% sure. I think its fair to say a high meat and grain particularly whole grain diet is gonna be more acidic and fruit is more or less unless offensive neutral, more vegetative matter from leaves and things is more alkaline usually, dairy depending on the type is more or less alkaline or acidic, it depends which factor you mean like yogurt is calcium alkaline but lactic acid acidic. Calcium supplements can or are the only way I'm aware of to be too alkaline, or that has that potential....maybe a few rare spices if used in absurdly high or clearly too high amounts, or maybe some poorly washed corn tortillas made with lime...I think ive seen some that have 15%+ calcium per tortilla which probably if you ate a ton could throw you off. So basically pretty sure you can easily get too acidic but its really hard to ever get too alkaline, and to lean towards the 'alkaline' which is including various things, would be safer generally, but would that alone prevent cancer or whatever it is someone might be going for...it would probably be on the helping side but alone don't know

Lots to absorb here, thank you. Kinda makes me want to throw my hands up and just do what works for me and not worry too much. :cool:

Ray says lactic acid from glycolysis causes oxygen depletion and hypoxia. Low CO2 results in not enough acidity (lack of carbonic acid). Complicated.

Ray Peat talks about healthy relative differences between cell pH and blood pH. But they are both well above 7.

Stryker

had a quick look at some acid vs alkaline charts..

most fruits are in alkaline section yet fruit juices are "highly acidic"

:nonono