Activated Charcoal Increases Serotonin

ddjd

After experimenting with charcoal I suspect it does increase Serotonin.

Any other thoughts on this?

Sucrates

After experimenting with charcoal I suspect it does increase Serotonin.

Any other thoughts on this?

Is there data that suggests this?
Often people will take it when serotonin is high anyway, is this a factor?

Mountain

The last three times that I've had the flu, I've taken activated charcoal and been almost symptom-free the next day. It definitely lowers endotoxin load and therefore probably serotonin too.
Why do you think it increases serotonin?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

The last three times that I've had the flu, I've taken activated charcoal and been almost symptom-free the next day. It definitely lowers endotoxin load and therefore probably serotonin too.
Why do you think it increases serotonin?
Loose stools

biffbelvin

Loose stools

That's interesting because i found the complete opposite. Maybe you're just ingesting too much liquid?

Edit: i've found this with some googling, but take it with a pinch as it's someone's blog. They're saying that charcoal binds to bile (here's a study that says the same thing).

If this us the case then it's entirely possible that the loose stools are from poorly digested fat, due to absorption of charcoal. In some instances this could be construed as a good thing.

If you'd like to avoid the loose stools, you might want to eat less fat overall, or eat fatty foods earlier in the day and take your charcoal before bed .

Last edited:

Greg says

It maybe the quality of the AC?..

Haidut recommends taking AC with MCT oil so the AC reaches the lower bowel ..

I definitely feel much happier/ clearer after taking AC. But I always use cascara to speed up the process. It can possibly constipate you otherwise and slow down peristalsis.

whit

It maybe the quality of the AC?..

Haidut recommends taking AC with MCT oil so the AC reaches the lower bowel ..

I definitely feel much happier/ clearer after taking AC. But I always use cascara to speed up the process. It can possibly constipate you otherwise and slow down peristalsis.

It is likely the quality. I've had the same experience with low quality AC. When I switched to a coconut based powder the issue resolved. The powder should fizz a little when combined with water.
The addition of MCT is interesting and makes sense.
Some of the brands can have issues with certain metals and who knows what else.
We've found you get what you pay for.

Greg says

It is likely the quality. I've had the same experience with low quality AC. When I switched to a coconut based powder the issue resolved. The powder should fizz a little when combined with water.
The addition of MCT is interesting and makes sense.
Some of the brands can have issues with certain metals and who knows what else.
We've found you get what you pay for.
yeah.. i used the coconut AC, it's incredibly fine. I was taking a huge desert spoon directly in my mouth and washing it down with a liquid. If you do this incorrectly it puffs down your throat and out of your nose and mouth. Very uncomfortable. :hungover:

whit

yeah.. i used the coconut AC, it's incredibly fine. I was taking a huge desert spoon directly in my mouth and washing it down with a liquid. If you do this incorrectly it puffs down your throat and out of your nose and mouth. Very uncomfortable. :hungover:

Yea.... the intended destination is the stomach not the lungs. Aspiration in is dangerous aspiration out with a cough is really messy, you could fill the room with a black cloud quite easily. We've been using the bulk powder but the particle is not fine. Mixing in liquid first is crucial.
I got it up in my sinuses once, very uncomfortable

Soren

Forum Supporter
Given Ray's warning about the powder, perhaps the course granular AC is a better choice. Recently tried it, and it's a whole different animal:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FV3N9QW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

How was it different? I'm assuming you mean it was better. I've read mixed feedback on granular AC that it doesn't work as well as fine AC and that it is very hard to consume due to large sharp particles. I'm also not convinced about the persorption issue with regards to AC, i think the danger is more down to what is being absorbed.

This compilation of info on functionalPS.com about persorption has some good info.

THE PHENOMENON OF PERSORPTION: PERSORPTION, DISSEMINATION, AND ELIMINATION OF MICROPARTICLES

theLaw

How was it different? I'm assuming you mean it was better. I've read mixed feedback on granular AC that it doesn't work as well as fine AC and that it is very hard to consume due to large sharp particles. I'm also not convinced about the persorption issue with regards to AC, i think the danger is more down to what is being absorbed.

This compilation of info on functionalPS.com about persorption has some good info.

THE PHENOMENON OF PERSORPTION: PERSORPTION, DISSEMINATION, AND ELIMINATION OF MICROPARTICLES

My experience was 100% what you posted. Although it's cleaner/easier to take, the granular didn't actually work for me, so I went back to powder.

I haven't been able to find the origin of Peat's quote regarding the dangers of AC persorption specifically, but I think that AC is pretty useless if it's not in powdered form, so perhaps it's a calculated risk.

Haidut mentioned adding coconut/mct oil to the AC to insure it gets to the colon, so perhaps that would help with any irritation along the way.

Thanks for the link!:D

LUH 3417

My experience was 100% what you posted. Although it's cleaner/easier to take, the granular didn't actually work for me, so I went back to powder.

I haven't been able to find the origin of Peat's quote regarding the dangers of AC persorption specifically, but I think that AC is pretty useless if it's not in powdered form, so perhaps it's a calculated risk.

Haidut mentioned adding coconut/mct oil to the AC to insure it gets to the colon, so perhaps that would help with any irritation along the way.

Thanks for the link!:D
isn't MCT oil allergenic though because it increases histamine? I read it as one of the listed items on a histamine avoidance protocol

theLaw

isn't MCT oil allergenic though because it increases histamine? I read it as one of the listed items on a histamine avoidance protocol

Never heard that. The only negative reactions that I've heard of from mct/coconut oil is due to either impurities or taking too much at once, which can cause digestive distress if someone isn't used to it.

When I first started using mct oil, anything more than a tsp could cause a quick evacuation, but now I can do many Tbsp without any issues.:thumbsup:

LUH 3417

Never heard that. The only negative reactions that I've heard of from mct/coconut oil is due to either impurities or taking too much at once, which can cause digestive distress if someone isn't used to it.

When I first started using mct oil, anything more than a tsp could cause a quick evacuation, but now I can do many Tbsp without any issues.:thumbsup:
Interesting, here’s the study. Idk what to make of it, personally.

Dietary medium-chain triglycerides promote oral allergic sensitization and orally induced anaphylaxis to peanut protein in mice

theLaw

theLaw

Do you think the MCT may have been irrelevant to the allergic cascade considering all the peanut butter?

I think involving pufa from peanuts in the study without accounting for its inherent health consequences muddies the water for the actual role of mct in the experiment.

Also, this is above my pay-grade, so I would ask Haidut. I assume if mct oil increased persorption then Haidut wouldn't have suggested it be combined with AC, but I don't know his specific thought process behind it.

Cheers! :D

LUH 3417

I think involving pufa from peanuts in the study without accounting for its inherent health consequences muddies the water for the actual role of mct in the experiment.

Also, this is above my pay-grade, so I would ask Haidut. I assume if mct oil increased persorption then Haidut wouldn't have suggested it be combined with AC, but I don't know his specific thought process behind it.

Cheers! :D
Gotchya thank you!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals