A Link Between The Lymph And The Gut

somuch4food

Immunity and Gastrointestinal Disease: A Role for Lymphatic Vessels

Below are some interesting quotes from the article. I invite others to read it though because I still do not have enough knowledge to fully grasp it.

"There is also a strong link between the lymphatic system and bacterial translocation, in which passage of viable bacteria occurs from the intestinal lumen into the mucosa and muscle layer to extra-intestinal sites. These instances can be promoted by bacterial overgrowth in the intestine, host immune deficiencies and in situations of increased permeability of the intestinal wall such as inflammatory bowel diseases „

"The lymphatic system, like most tissues in the body, responds to inflammatory mediators during an acute or chronic inflammatory response. One of the hallmark effects of inflammatory mediators is to stimulate vascular leakage, which increases interstitial fluid volumes. "

"Furthermore, studies have shown that nitric oxide, a vasoactive molecule implicated in the inflammatory response, also limits lymphatic contractile activity [19,23]. Histamine, an inflammatory mediator that is crucial for increasing microvascular permeability has also been shown to have a direct stimulatory effect on lymphatic contractility and function [24-26]. This potent effect of histamine on lymphatic function has implications on the pathogenesis of food allergies, as large amounts of histamine are released during mast-cell degranulation. This has been shown to increase lymphatic contraction frequency [27]. Other inflammatory mediators, such as serotonin and as well as neuropeptides, have impacts on lymphatic contractility [19] but are beyond the scope of this review. „

"While the lymphatic system is clearly pivotal for immunity and fluid homeostasis in the entire body, it is even more closely linked with the gastrointestinal system because of its role in nutrient absorption and immune cell trafficking to this area. The relationship between the gut and the lymphatic system has also been shown to be critical during intestinal inflammation. IBD patients presenting with oedema were reported to have enlarged lymphatic vessels, which appeared obstructed [37-40]. The enlarged and stenotic lymphatic vessels suggest poor lymphatic drainage, which would further exacerbate the tissue oedema. Interestingly, animal studies where mesenteric lymphatic drainage was experimentally obliterated led to Crohn’s disease-like macroscopic and microscopic patterns [40-42]. These animal models of lymphatic obstruction are considered by some to best reproduce Crohn’s disease symptoms without contribution from genes, environment or bacterial makeup in the gut [31]. Importantly, these animal models of lymphatic obstruction recapitulate transmural inflammation and intestinal fistulae characteristic of Crohn’s disease [42]. "

"A study reporting that a large number of DC and proliferating T cells were found in the lamina propria of Crohn’s disease patients, suggests that they are unable to be drained away by the lymphatic system and are trapped at the site of inflammation forming lymphoid aggregates, and creating a self-perpetuating feedback loop that prolongs the local immune response [48]."

walker_in_aus

This makes sense to me as a non-sweaty, psoriasis prone, bloating prone person with IBS.
It also explains why the time I used IR Saunas and forced alot of sweating, there was a lot of improvement in my digestion.

Does anyone know other ways in which to increase draining of internal lymph, or to "unblock" lymphatic system?

Elephanto

This makes sense to me as a non-sweaty, psoriasis prone, bloating prone person with IBS.
It also explains why the time I used IR Saunas and forced alot of sweating, there was a lot of improvement in my digestion.

Does anyone know other ways in which to increase draining of internal lymph, or to "unblock" lymphatic system?

Movement, especially with a gravity factor (bouncing ball, jogging, trampoline). I really like this exercise, I can at least attest that it's effective to promote blood circulation.

Elephanto

I prefer some sweating activity once per week.
Well I wouldn't underestimate movement as a determinant factor, I don't think that sweating as much as you want can replace it. And I realize your weekly activity implies movement but with the notion in mind that it is the things we repeat most often (adequate vs inadequate breathing, inactivity vs frequent movement) that have the most significant impact on such parameter I would stress that regular movement with at least a bit of vigor (though not implying strenuous or stressing) shouldn't be neglected no matter how sweat-inducing and vigorous that weekly activity is, in my opinion.
Since the lymphatic system does not have a heart to pump it, its upward movement depends on the motions of the muscle and joint pumps.

Breathing, as a form of internal movement, is also said to promote lymphatic circulation. A consistently adequate breathing technique should be beneficial, so the opposite of shallow, uncontrolled, rapid breathing, and maybe focusing on abdominal breathing would help.

Last edited:
This is very good. Is this what makes grains so bad for us?

OP
S

somuch4food

I've seen that there are massages that can help. I haven't looked it up yet.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've read that dry brushing the skin toward the heart, inclined bed therapy and Qigong's shaking the tree exercise are all good for promoting lymphatic circulation.

Mad

Yoga is also great to move lymphatic fluid. To aid my lymphatic system I try to incorporate: yoga, walking, dry brushing, red light therapy and saunas when possible.

I have learned a lot about the lymphatic system due to my investigations into the cystic acne that used to plague my chin, jaw line, neck, ears, etc.... I have nearly cured this acne that has plagued me for years by avoiding fluoride! I plan to do a post eventually about this, but I'm still discerning the last few pesky hidden sources of fluoride for now.

I highly recommend Melissa Gallico's book The Hidden Cause Of Acne. I've learned that fluoride has been clogging my lymphatic system for years and that's why I get painful acne in these very specific places. I also used to have a couple of very tender spots on my body (pelvic area, sometimes armpits)..... Turns out these were areas of highly concentrated lymphatic vessels. They are no longer tender!

She also includes the thyroid connection to all of this. I'm so thankful for finding her work.

tankasnowgod

I've read that dry brushing the skin toward the heart, inclined bed therapy and Qigong's shaking the tree exercise are all good for promoting lymphatic circulation.

Yep, everything Blossom mentioned is great. Also a really simple and easy one to add- walking. Probably the best circulatory stimulant! Especially if you have good posture.

Edit- I've also seen it suggested that a centrifuge motion can be beneficial for simulating circulation. Not sure that's very practical though, most of us don't have easy access to that Gravitron ride. Maybe spinning around in an office chair?

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals