Okay so, @haidut

Sorry for the long text, I am trying to document everything in hopes it may help someone else.

3 days ago I tested 5a DHP on my rat. I applied just a small 1 mg amount around his scrotum. Since being hit with Saw palmetto sides, rat has become very sensitive to medications.

First day:

Rat has been suffering with insomnia for 3 years now. The last two months being the worst. Have maybe had about 1 hours sleep per night. After taking 1mg 5a dhp transdermally, felt calm and sleepy. Very sleepy! This was nice since entering sleep has been nearly impossible for him. Walking round the supermarket rat felt very at peace, even with the other side effects from saw palmetto, his memory recalled sights and sounds. Anhedonia has been a massive problem for him.

Went to bed, slept well throughout the night. First time in a long time. To have some rest made him extremely happy.

Day two:

Rat woke in a good mood. I cannot remember the last time this had happened. Rat has been on TRT and HCG before and did not experience this on them. Rat has not had an sexual functioning for two months now. No morning wood but when fiance came to me in bed, felt libido and had an erection. Orgasm was not that great but rats hormones are very low currently. Will post labs below.

This is where it really gets AMAZING. For the first time in 3 years since suffering this condition he felt alive, it was almost as if a switch mentally had been flicked. Walking to the bathroom, seeing the sun shining, thought to himself, what a beautiful day. The fresh air came through the window and he could pick up on his senses more. Rat has been suffering with loss of smell since becoming ill.

Upon entering the car, he felt calm and collected. Turned music on. Rat is a musician but has not been able to feel or experience music since becoming ill. It is hard to explain maybe to someone who has never suffered with this condition. But rat could feel the music effecting him throughout his body. Felt alive and on top of the world.

Rat drove to supermarket. Rat began to pick up on smells of the fruits and vegetables. Women walking by and their perfumes, everything felt extremely vibrant. Rat thought that this had been forever lost. At this point he felt like he could cry with happiness. Nothing he has tried before had had this effect on him. It was like someone had turned his life back on. I was SO SO happy.

Unfortunately, this effect only lasted till around lunchtime then the loss of smell and anhedonia came back but not as bad as before.

He dosed 3 mg sublingually at around 5 pm.

Sleep easily reachable, again, this has been such an issue for him in the past.

One other thing to add, Rat has been breaking out in hives for the last few nights, since starting 5a DHP they have not returned. Apparrently GABA has some involvement in allergies.

Day three:
Rat has slept well again and had some dreams which was nice. Woke again but with not the same vibrancy as yesterday. Still feels brighter but sense of smell still feels dulled to an extent. Its hard to describe. He can smell but only if concentrating or inhaling on something very closely.

Rat also suffers with Restless legs syndrome. The uncomfortable feeling in the legs, however, for most people this is usually worse at night. For some reason he only has it during the day. Cabergoline for slightly raised prolactin a few years ago was successful in restoring spontaneous erections and getting rid of RLS. Rat still has RLS on 5a DHP.

To put this in perspective for you all. Rat has been suffering with extremely bad cognitive function and ability to sleep since becoming ill. 3 days ago, Rat was having extreme reoccuring thoughts of suicide. He thought this was the end for him, not a proper nights sleep in a month or so, zero zest, anhedonia, complete sexual dysfunction. Rat has been extremely motivated to beat this illness but had got to the point where he did not want to suffer anymore.

Within 3 days this little bottle of 5a DHP has changed his life. I really mean that, nothing has had this effect on him mentally. I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Some hopes of normality remain. I can't thank you enough from the bottom of my heart.

Now here are his recent blood test results. Please note, this was BEFORE the 5a DHP.

TESTOSTERONE 20.3 nmol/L 7.60 - 31.40

FREE-TESTOSTERONE(CALCULATED)*0.246 nmol/L 0.30 - 1.00

17-BETA OESTRADIOL 24.7 pmol/L 0.00 - 191.99

SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOB *71.9 nmol/L 16.00 - 55.00

As you can see, SHBG has gone sky high. Used to hover around 30 before he became ill. Then the last few years between 40-50. Now since coming off of hormones raised to 71.9. I think this is the cause of his issues. The reason why he quit TRT and HCG is because the benefits mentally lasted a few days and after that he just became agitated, not calm at all, sleep was better but still difficult to enter. This was with perfectly managed E2. I have never taken an Aromatase inhibitor in my life. He initially went on TRT because his e2 was extremely low before as well and thought it would raise it. It did, He was on TRT for 5 months.

As you can see, his E2 with that level of SHBG will be quite low. Something else he considers to be an issue with his sleep, sexual function and mental state. Also obviously low Free T.

I am confused by the SHBG result.

Anyway, seen as 5a DHP has anti estrogen properties, do you think that it could be lowering them even more. TRT made erections great, still absent of spontaneous ones but erections were good. I am wondering if he had added 5a DHP to his treatment he would have seen leaps and bounds in recovery.

TRT had no effect on mental state like 5a DHP has.

Thank you @haidut for such an amazing product. You have literally saved a mans life. I cannot believe the darkness I have been lifted from in such a short space of time. I hope this lasts.

Should I cycle it more? Up the dose? I do not want my body to adjust to much it.

Last edited:
Okay so not been feeling as good yesterday or today. Still brighter mentally but I think I may be suffering from low estrogen symptoms. Sleep was not as good last night, hips are clicking and cracking, feet feel like there is no fat under them. I am naturally very lean anyway!

Would I do better on Progesterone seen as I have low E2. (Confirmed by labs)

nasibi

Okay so not been feeling as good yesterday or today. Still brighter mentally but I think I may be suffering from low estrogen symptoms. Sleep was not as good last night, hips are clicking and cracking, feet feel like there is no fat under them. I am naturally very lean anyway!

Would I do better on Progesterone seen as I have low E2. (Confirmed by labs)

I am really glad you have found a solution that is 5a-dhp. Now as you mentioned that you have low estradiol problems. I assume you have low T too. Why not do a short blast of HCG, followed by a PCT of Nolva and Clomid.

I am really glad you have found a solution that is 5a-dhp. Now as you mentioned that you have low estradiol problems. I assume you have low T too. Why not do a short blast of HCG, followed by a PCT of Nolva and Clomid.

I have low free T and low Estradiol. My Total T is at 20 nmol/l but I have high SHBG. I have been on HCG and TRT before this. I did have a blood test to check my body had recovered. My LH and FSH had come back so I am at a loss as to why I have such a high SHBG with low e2.

Perhaps I am shut down? My testicles do not feel or look atrophied at all.

I wanted to avoid SERM's due to their side effects.

Any other suggestions?

nasibi

I have low free T and low Estradiol. My Total T is at 20 nmol/l but I have high SHBG. I have been on HCG and TRT before this. I did have a blood test to check my body had recovered. My LH and FSH had come back so I am at a loss as to why I have such a high SHBG with low e2.

Any other suggestions?

I am sorry I don't have the knowledge to help you. The only thing I know of that can lower SHBG is Proviron, but it can supress your hpta, hence exacerbating the problem.

alywest

Any other suggestions?

From what I know estrogen can only truly be tested in the tissues, where it is mostly found. Blood levels are not accurate reflections of how much estrogen you have in your system. Although you had such incredible results right off the bat I would say that there is probably a longer-term battle with estrogen to be had, so I would stick with it. Perhaps look into pansterone as well as haidut suggested at the beginning of this thread.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Okay so, @haidut

Sorry for the long text, I am trying to document everything in hopes it may help someone else.

3 days ago I tested 5a DHP on my rat. I applied just a small 1 mg amount around his scrotum. Since being hit with Saw palmetto sides, rat has become very sensitive to medications.

First day:

Rat has been suffering with insomnia for 3 years now. The last two months being the worst. Have maybe had about 1 hours sleep per night. After taking 1mg 5a dhp transdermally, felt calm and sleepy. Very sleepy! This was nice since entering sleep has been nearly impossible for him. Walking round the supermarket rat felt very at peace, even with the other side effects from saw palmetto, his memory recalled sights and sounds. Anhedonia has been a massive problem for him.

Went to bed, slept well throughout the night. First time in a long time. To have some rest made him extremely happy.

Day two:

Rat woke in a good mood. I cannot remember the last time this had happened. Rat has been on TRT and HCG before and did not experience this on them. Rat has not had an sexual functioning for two months now. No morning wood but when fiance came to me in bed, felt libido and had an erection. Orgasm was not that great but rats hormones are very low currently. Will post labs below.

This is where it really gets AMAZING. For the first time in 3 years since suffering this condition he felt alive, it was almost as if a switch mentally had been flicked. Walking to the bathroom, seeing the sun shining, thought to himself, what a beautiful day. The fresh air came through the window and he could pick up on his senses more. Rat has been suffering with loss of smell since becoming ill.

Upon entering the car, he felt calm and collected. Turned music on. Rat is a musician but has not been able to feel or experience music since becoming ill. It is hard to explain maybe to someone who has never suffered with this condition. But rat could feel the music effecting him throughout his body. Felt alive and on top of the world.

Rat drove to supermarket. Rat began to pick up on smells of the fruits and vegetables. Women walking by and their perfumes, everything felt extremely vibrant. Rat thought that this had been forever lost. At this point he felt like he could cry with happiness. Nothing he has tried before had had this effect on him. It was like someone had turned his life back on. I was SO SO happy.

Unfortunately, this effect only lasted till around lunchtime then the loss of smell and anhedonia came back but not as bad as before.

He dosed 3 mg sublingually at around 5 pm.

Sleep easily reachable, again, this has been such an issue for him in the past.

One other thing to add, Rat has been breaking out in hives for the last few nights, since starting 5a DHP they have not returned. Apparrently GABA has some involvement in allergies.

Day three:
Rat has slept well again and had some dreams which was nice. Woke again but with not the same vibrancy as yesterday. Still feels brighter but sense of smell still feels dulled to an extent. Its hard to describe. He can smell but only if concentrating or inhaling on something very closely.

Rat also suffers with Restless legs syndrome. The uncomfortable feeling in the legs, however, for most people this is usually worse at night. For some reason he only has it during the day. Cabergoline for slightly raised prolactin a few years ago was successful in restoring spontaneous erections and getting rid of RLS. Rat still has RLS on 5a DHP.

To put this in perspective for you all. Rat has been suffering with extremely bad cognitive function and ability to sleep since becoming ill. 3 days ago, Rat was having extreme reoccuring thoughts of suicide. He thought this was the end for him, not a proper nights sleep in a month or so, zero zest, anhedonia, complete sexual dysfunction. Rat has been extremely motivated to beat this illness but had got to the point where he did not want to suffer anymore.

Within 3 days this little bottle of 5a DHP has changed his life. I really mean that, nothing has had this effect on him mentally. I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Some hopes of normality remain. I can't thank you enough from the bottom of my heart.

Now here are his recent blood test results. Please note, this was BEFORE the 5a DHP.

TESTOSTERONE 20.3 nmol/L 7.60 - 31.40

FREE-TESTOSTERONE(CALCULATED)*0.246 nmol/L 0.30 - 1.00

17-BETA OESTRADIOL 24.7 pmol/L 0.00 - 191.99

SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOB *71.9 nmol/L 16.00 - 55.00

As you can see, SHBG has gone sky high. Used to hover around 30 before he became ill. Then the last few years between 40-50. Now since coming off of hormones raised to 71.9. I think this is the cause of his issues. The reason why he quit TRT and HCG is because the benefits mentally lasted a few days and after that he just became agitated, not calm at all, sleep was better but still difficult to enter. This was with perfectly managed E2. I have never taken an Aromatase inhibitor in my life. He initially went on TRT because his e2 was extremely low before as well and thought it would raise it. It did, He was on TRT for 5 months.

As you can see, his E2 with that level of SHBG will be quite low. Something else he considers to be an issue with his sleep, sexual function and mental state. Also obviously low Free T.

I am confused by the SHBG result.

Anyway, seen as 5a DHP has anti estrogen properties, do you think that it could be lowering them even more. TRT made erections great, still absent of spontaneous ones but erections were good. I am wondering if he had added 5a DHP to his treatment he would have seen leaps and bounds in recovery.

TRT had no effect on mental state like 5a DHP has.

Thank you @haidut for such an amazing product. You have literally saved a mans life. I cannot believe the darkness I have been lifted from in such a short space of time. I hope this lasts.

Should I cycle it more? Up the dose? I do not want my body to adjust to much it.

Wow, amazing feedback! Thanks so much for sharing!
If your E2 is low then I would keep 5a-DHP dose at no more than 2 drops daily and possibly skipping a day or two to see if the sensitivity to the steroid returns. If allopregnanolone gets high enough it may affect libido, as shown in animal studies.

Wow, amazing feedback! Thanks so much for sharing!
If your E2 is low then I would keep 5a-DHP dose at no more than 2 drops daily and possibly skipping a day or two to see if the sensitivity to the steroid returns. If allopregnanolone gets high enough it may affect libido, as shown in animal studies.

You are more than welcome. I have not experienced such dramatic effects with continued usage so I have been trying to cycle it.

It does bring a sense of calm but I can feel the anti estrogenic effects fairly quickly. If I dose too much I notice sleep becomes worse, this is usually a very low e2 side for me. I am wondering if I managed to have all of my other hormones in a better balance, 5a DHP would work its magic much better!

@haidut Your knowledge on hormones seems extensive and I am trying my best to study your posts as much as I can.

Since coming off of HCG and TRT I have felt like ***t. Initially I felt better then seemed to have crashed. The confusing thing for me is I have extremely high SHBG (in the 70's) and very low free T and low E2. I have not had any sexual functioning in 3 months now. My testes do not feel atrophied. I did have my LH and FSH checked once coming off TRT and they had recovered. I am just wondering as to why I am left with this high SHBG with such low E2.

All I can find on high SHBG is liver issues (which I do not seem to have) and raised E2. Now with high SHBG does that mean I potentially have even lower free E2? My joints are cracking and popping, skin is really dry, sleep not as good although the right dose of 5a DHP really does help!

I know you are not a Dr and I appreciate it would be best to have a Dr's opinion. The only problem is I am in the UK and Endo's and GP's are completely clueless. Last endo I saw told me men did not need Estrogen and that SHBG was irrelevant seen as my total T was acceptable.

I am desperate to feel well. Thank you again. This forum is such a help!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
You are more than welcome. I have not experienced such dramatic effects with continued usage so I have been trying to cycle it.

It does bring a sense of calm but I can feel the anti estrogenic effects fairly quickly. If I dose too much I notice sleep becomes worse, this is usually a very low e2 side for me. I am wondering if I managed to have all of my other hormones in a better balance, 5a DHP would work its magic much better!

@haidut Your knowledge on hormones seems extensive and I am trying my best to study your posts as much as I can.

Since coming off of HCG and TRT I have felt like ***t. Initially I felt better then seemed to have crashed. The confusing thing for me is I have extremely high SHBG (in the 70's) and very low free T and low E2. I have not had any sexual functioning in 3 months now. My testes do not feel atrophied. I did have my LH and FSH checked once coming off TRT and they had recovered. I am just wondering as to why I am left with this high SHBG with such low E2.

All I can find on high SHBG is liver issues (which I do not seem to have) and raised E2. Now with high SHBG does that mean I potentially have even lower free E2? My joints are cracking and popping, skin is really dry, sleep not as good although the right dose of 5a DHP really does help!

I know you are not a Dr and I appreciate it would be best to have a Dr's opinion. The only problem is I am in the UK and Endo's and GP's are completely clueless. Last endo I saw told me men did not need Estrogen and that SHBG was irrelevant seen as my total T was acceptable.

I am desperate to feel well. Thank you again. This forum is such a help!

Have you tried a bit of pregnenolone and DHEA? Quite a few people coming off TRT reported benefits and now it seems a lot of bodybuilders are using that combo as well to recover.

Makrosky

I don't think it has been studies for loss of hair. It does have progesterone effects, albeit slightly weaker than progesterone if you look strictly at receptor binding profile. I would use in lower doses first to see if there is any undesirable side effects and only then apply to direct problem area like thinning hair. Of course, always ask a doctor before using any supplement/steroid.

haidut,

I hope you find some time to answer this question. Please follow me on this train of thoughts :

- When I say "feminizing" I use indistinctly for "anti-androgenic". Same thing for the matter.

- 5a-DHP is an agonist at progesterone and androgens receptors.

- 5a-DHP has been found to stimulate pregnenolone and progesterone production.

- You have said in other threads and also there's annecdotal evidence in this forum that progesterone can have anti-androgenic effects. Normally big doses but still people with moderate doses got feminizing effects. This also happens with pregnenolone, which shouldn't happen, but it happens. You said it so also. Probably via conversion to progesterone.

- You also said in another 5a-DHP thread it can have antigonadotropic properties.

- 5a-DHP doses of 5-6 drops should not convert to DHT via the alternative pathway, you need more in the range of 15-30 drops. It's written on this thread. This is the two modes of action of 5a-DHP. Doses inbetween seem to be not effective.

Following this train of thoughts (I hope I'm wrong), in certain individuals/hormone profiles like PFS or stuff like that, we might a cocktail for anti-androgenicity.

Then my question is : Is it possible that 5a-DHP has anti androgenic activity ? Wether systemical or in the brain. Because if it is a progesterone agonist, it could have feminizing effects. And maybe the androgen agonism is not enough to oppose that. At least if we're talking about 5-6 mg doses.

I'm asking you this because I used 5a-DHP for a couple of days and I felt much less interest in women. Less libido. More femenine attitude like less assertive, etc.

Also you mentioned in another thread that allopregnanolone can have anti-sexual effects. I'm not sure what do you mean by that. Just reduced libido ?

Other than that I must say this supplement is one of the BEST ones I ever tried for improving mood and cognition and energy levels. IMPRESSIVE. However I'm really worried about that antiandrogenic aspect. Maybe it was just coincidence but I'm very sensitive to these things and I pay a lot of attention to them and notice it right away. I hope you can chime in.
@Wagner83

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
haidut,

I hope you find some time to answer this question. Please follow me on this train of thoughts :

- When I say "feminizing" I use indistinctly for "anti-androgenic". Same thing for the matter.

- 5a-DHP is an agonist at progesterone and androgens receptors.

- 5a-DHP has been found to stimulate pregnenolone and progesterone production.

- You have said in other threads and also there's annecdotal evidence in this forum that progesterone can have anti-androgenic effects. Normally big doses but still people with moderate doses got feminizing effects. This also happens with pregnenolone, which shouldn't happen, but it happens. You said it so also. Probably via conversion to progesterone.

- You also said in another 5a-DHP thread it can have antigonadotropic properties.

- 5a-DHP doses of 5-6 drops should not convert to DHT via the alternative pathway, you need more in the range of 15-30 drops. It's written on this thread. This is the two modes of action of 5a-DHP. Doses inbetween seem to be not effective.

Following this train of thoughts (I hope I'm wrong), in certain individuals/hormone profiles like PFS or stuff like that, we might a cocktail for anti-androgenicity.

Then my question is : Is it possible that 5a-DHP has anti androgenic activity ? Wether systemical or in the brain. Because if it is a progesterone agonist, it could have feminizing effects. And maybe the androgen agonism is not enough to oppose that. At least if we're talking about 5-6 mg doses.

I'm asking you this because I used 5a-DHP for a couple of days and I felt much less interest in women. Less libido. More femenine attitude like less assertive, etc.

Also you mentioned in another thread that allopregnanolone can have anti-sexual effects. I'm not sure what do you mean by that. Just reduced libido ?

Other than that I must say this supplement is one of the BEST ones I ever tried for improving mood and cognition and energy levels. IMPRESSIVE. However I'm really worried about that antiandrogenic aspect. Maybe it was just coincidence but I'm very sensitive to these things and I pay a lot of attention to them and notice it right away. I hope you can chime in.
@Wagner83

I think the reductions in libido come from its potent anti-estrogenic effects. Some estrogen is needed in males for libido. Higher doses of saturated steroids like DHT and androsterone have the same libido-reducing effects. I think combining 5a-DHP with DHEA or even low dose pregnenolone (10mg - 20mg) should help in that regard. Anti-androgenic effects manifest mostly as flacid penis, sagging muscle and less facial/body hair and by all accounts so far 5a-DHP does NOT have these effects. However, it did tank estrogen below lower end of normal range in a few people who used it, so that would be my guess for now.

Quality

So whos been using this compound for a longer while and still reaping benefits?

Also what dose

Ehmmm also this taken from the allopregnanolone wikipedia page:

Allopregnanolone - Wikipedia

"The action of allopregnanolone at these receptors may be related, in part, to its neuroprotective and antigonadotropic properties."

From what I remember haidut you was saying in older posts that it should even upregulate steroid production...?

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
So whos been using this compound for a longer while and still reaping benefits?

Also what dose

Ehmmm also this taken from the allopregnanolone wikipedia page:

Allopregnanolone - Wikipedia

"The action of allopregnanolone at these receptors may be related, in part, to its neuroprotective and antigonadotropic properties."

From what I remember haidut you was saying in older posts that it should even upregulate steroid production...?

There is evidence showing 5a-DHP upregulates progesterone synthesis and possibly DHT as it seems to increase 5AR activity. I don't know if it would regulate all steroids, but the quote you found was about allopregnanolone, not 5a-DHP. So, the effects I mentioned are for 5a-DHP only and once it converts into allopregnanolone it may have other effects as well.

Quality

There is evidence showing 5a-DHP upregulates progesterone synthesis and possibly DHT as it seems to increase 5AR activity. I don't know if it would regulate all steroids, but the quote you found was about allopregnanolone, not 5a-DHP. So, the effects I mentioned are for 5a-DHP only and once it converts into allopregnanolone it may have other effects as well.

Ye well that is true, but the reason is that it most likely applies to 5a-DHP aswell is that 5a-DHP and allopregnanolone are basically interchangable as they get converted into eachother by the 3α-HSD enzyme.
Anyway I am still considering trialing this product once I have tried my pregnenolone pills to raise allopregnanolone levels, no doubt your product is more effective at it doing so though.

The same goes with 'regular' pregnenolone, I have asked a dozen of forums and all about possible negative feedback experienced by users, such as testiculair atrophy or LH/FSH supression to some degree, nobody seems to know the answer or seems to give informative information, which is very very odd, since its quite popular these days, especially with all the post finestaride syndrome awareness that is taking place.

Makrosky

Ye well that is true, but the reason is that it most likely applies to 5a-DHP aswell is that 5a-DHP and allopregnanolone are basically interchangable as they get converted into eachother by the 3α-HSD enzyme.
Anyway I am still considering trialing this product once I have tried my pregnenolone pills to raise allopregnanolone levels, no doubt your product is more effective at it doing so though.

The same goes with 'regular' pregnenolone, I have asked a dozen of forums and all about possible negative feedback experienced by users, such as testiculair atrophy or LH/FSH supression to some degree, nobody seems to know the answer or seems to give informative information, which is very very odd, since its quite popular these days, especially with all the post finestaride syndrome awareness that is taking place.
What????? Testicular shrinkage from pregnenolone? Where do you get that from? Please share whatever info you have on that!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

If your question is specifically about 5a-DHP then the answer is that it does not seem to inhibit steroid synthesis except estrogen and prolactin, which should actually improve androgenic status. Yes, it does convert into allopregnanolone and that steroid may have antigonadotropic properties but the doses used in the animal studies (5mg - 7mg HED) are probably not achievable with 5a-DHP supplementation unless somebody takes 20mg -30mg. However, the doses used for the anti-depressive effects (1mg - 2mg HED) are achievable with a few milligrams of 5a-DHP.
Btw, adding just a little pregnenolone (1uM/L, so about 5mg - 10mg) completely overcomes the inhibitory effects of allopregnanolone on GnRH. So that could be an option for people experimenting with high doses, which is probably not advisable anyways as even the low doses of 5a-DHP (~5mg HED) were quite effective against estrogen and prolactin.
The neuroactive steroid allopregnanolone suppresses hypothalamic gonadotropin-releasing hormone release through a mechanism mediated by the gamma-aminobutyric acidA receptor

Interestingly, another study found that allopregnanolone actually increased GnRH release, even in non-stimulated conditions.
A progesterone metabolite stimulates the release of gonadotropin-releasing hormone from GT1-1 hypothalamic neurons via the gamma-aminobutyric acid ... - PubMed - NCBI

So, I think the jury is still out on whether allopregnanolone is suppressive or not.

Makrosky

If your question is specifically about 5a-DHP then the answer is that it does not seem to inhibit steroid synthesis except estrogen and prolactin, which should actually improve androgenic status. Yes, it does convert into allopregnanolone and that steroid may have antigonadotropic properties but the doses used in the animal studies (5mg - 7mg HED) are probably not achievable with 5a-DHP supplementation unless somebody takes 20mg -30mg. However, the doses used for the anti-depressive effects (1mg - 2mg HED) are achievable with a few milligrams of 5a-DHP.
Btw, adding just a little pregnenolone (1uM/L, so about 5mg - 10mg) completely overcomes the inhibitory effects of allopregnanolone on GnRH. So that could be an option for people experimenting with high doses, which is probably not advisable anyways as even the low doses of 5a-DHP (~5mg HED) were quite effective against estrogen and prolactin.
The neuroactive steroid allopregnanolone suppresses hypothalamic gonadotropin-releasing hormone release through a mechanism mediated by the gamma-aminobutyric acidA receptor

Interestingly, another study found that allopregnanolone actually increased GnRH release, even in non-stimulated conditions.
A progesterone metabolite stimulates the release of gonadotropin-releasing hormone from GT1-1 hypothalamic neurons via the gamma-aminobutyric acid ... - PubMed - NCBI

So, I think the jury is still out on whether allopregnanolone is suppressive or not.
Then this potential problem is not only about 5a-DHP but to progesterone and pregnenolone as well since they are the precusors to to allopregnenolone, right ?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Then this potential problem is not only about 5a-DHP but to progesterone and pregnenolone as well since they are the precusors to to allopregnenolone, right ?

Yes, in theory. However, since pregnenolone was used in that study to actually reverse the GnRH inhibition it is probably less of an issue compared to progesterone.

Makrosky

Yes, in theory. However, since pregnenolone was used in that study to actually reverse the GnRH inhibition it is probably less of an issue compared to progesterone.

Well, apparently pregnenolone (at least taken orally) will convert around 50% to progesterone, so maybe the antiandrogenic results some people is seeing with pregnenolone (discussion here) is not only because of the progesterone conversion but also because of the progesterone conversion to allopreg and then causing GnRH inhibition. I'm starting to suspect that these kind of problems do not depend that much about the dose "per se" but depend on a ratio, like if you have a good endogenous production of androgens (or taking them exogenously) to oppose all that antiandrogenic activity.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals