Unsaturated Fat Causes Hepatic Steatosis When Combined With Carbs

Hans

Forum Supporter
The study tested high carb diets combined with either palmitic acid (not from a natural source) or high oleic acid sunflower oil (7.6:1 ratio for MUFA:PUFA).
Specific Macronutrients Exert Unique Influences on the Adipose-Liver Axis to Promote Hepatic Steatosis in Mice
"only mice fed starch-enriched diets displayed hyperinsulinemia at 6 months (Table 2), and only those fed starch-oleate exhibited glucose intolerance"

"Mice fed starch-oleate displayed the worst steatosis, accumulating at least 40% more hepatic lipid than the other 3 high-energy diet groups (Figure 2D and E). Starch-oleate–fed mice also showed more evidence of liver injury than did mice in the other high-energy groups. "

Sucrose-oleate was actually less harmful than the starch-oleate.
gr2.jpg

"Viewing these results together with the stable isotope incorporation data, it is evident that DNL and adipose tissue lipolysis both contribute to hepatic steatosis in response to high-energy diets but adipose tissue lipolysis is disproportionately increased in response to a starch-oleate diet."

Interestingly, the increase in lipolysis was only found in the starch-oleate group and not the sucrose-oleate group.

"The data demonstrate that a monounsaturated fat-enriched diet provokes more hepatic steatosis than a saturated fat-enriched diet, particularly when combined with a complex CHO such as starch."

"our experiments demonstrated that starch-oleate feeding actually induced progressive necrosis of adipose tissue. The downstream consequence of this adipose tissue involution was worsening of hepatic steatosis."

So the starch-oleate not only promoted liver dysfunction, but also adipose tissue dysfunction. This leads to high inflammation, less fat storage, insulin resistance, glucose intolerance, etc.

"studies in humans demonstrate that accumulation of unsaturated fatty acids in adipose tissue is associated with insulin resistance, reduced DNL, and enhanced lipolysis.45, 46 Thus, oleate loading of adipocytes appears to be an important trigger to a decline in adipose tissue mass with resultant hepatic steatosis."

Kelj

Fasting of mice: a review
TL Jensen1
, MK Kiersgaard1
, DB Sørensen2 and LF Mikkelsen3

Any review of mice studies should take into account the typical practice of fasting mice overnight to reduce variability in investigatory parameters. Mice are nocturnal eaters which makes them different from humans. Fasting them overnight causes a starvation stress response. The effect of fasting overnight for mice is especially intense. Hepatic Steatosis is one result, regardless of what is otherwise happening.
This study is a great one for understanding the effects of fasting, in general.

Nokoni

Nice study, using the diets of typical Americans. And particularly interesting for me because I recently switched from using mostly starch for my carbs to using only sugar. When I did so I noticed a rise in metabolism that forced me to stop using some of my metabolic rate enhancers. Together they made me over-amped. That took me by surprise. I had always supposed that starch was pretty much as good as sugar, and I liked bread, it didn't cause me any digestive issues, so that's what I ate. But obviously for me, sugar is better than bread, and I think this study gives support for that idea. So saturated fat is better than unsaturated (of course), but also sugar carbs are better than starch carbs.