Revisiting Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)

ddjd

I also heard the crystal form of MSM was more beneficial because of a less refining process compared to the generic MSM powders that may also be sourced as a waste product of petroleum.
this is exactly what I heard. and the brand OptiMSM from doctors best is the one I go for. I really notice that it's more effective compared to other MSM I've used. also there's no other ingredients, just pure MSM and the capsule.

on another note, you might find my thread interesting about how MSM lowers nitric oxide, as we know in peat land, there are several destructive forms of nitric oxide that haidut has explored are responsible for aging and degenerative processes.

I personally find MSM very helpful against Male pattern baldness and I believe the nitric oxide lowering is the reason why

Anecdotal Evidence MSM Regrows Hair - Nitric Oxide Antagonist!

ShotTrue

this is exactly what I heard. and the brand OptiMSM from doctors best is the one I go for. I really notice that it's more effective compared to other MSM I've used. also there's no other ingredients, just pure MSM and the capsule.

on another note, you might find my thread interesting about how MSM lowers nitric oxide, as we know in peat land, there are several destructive forms of nitric oxide that haidut has explored are responsible for aging and degenerative processes.

I personally find MSM very helpful against Male pattern baldness and I believe the nitric oxide lowering is the reason why

Nice. Any thoughts on glucosamine or chondroitin?

Mossy

MSM is yet another supplement I’ve attempted to use but can’t, due to it causing headaches, insomnia, and stomach aches. After some research I found a site that suggests taking it with molybdenum and vitamin C, in this ratio:

MSM : Vitamin C : Molybdenum
4,000mg : 1,000mg : 200mcg
1 : .25 : .00005

I may try this again, as it seems to be a good anti-aging supplement: skin, hair, and joints.

whit

Are you saying that you found it not safe or effective when taken by mouth?

I'm extremely skeptical about how you need "ultra purity". It seems to be a compound that is easily purified and 99.9% grade is commonly available. Maybe this thread was simply used to market the product of a certain vendor?

More generally i am slightly interested in it after hearing stephanie seneff talk about the importance of sulfated compounds like cholesterol sulfate and vitamin d sulfate.

We found it quite effective orally just more effective at smaller doses when taken as we do.
As for marketing a certain brand I just use what works.

Entropy

Right on! Maybe i'll give it a try

I've read sulfur amino's like taurine which is shown to be helpful in hair loss are derived from MSM

baccheion

MSM is yet another supplement I’ve attempted to use but can’t, due to it causing headaches, insomnia, and stomach aches. After some research I found a site that suggests taking it with molybdenum and vitamin C, in this ratio:

MSM : Vitamin C : Molybdenum
4,000mg : 1,000mg : 200mcg
1 : .25 : .00005

I may try this again, as it seems to be a good anti-aging supplement: skin, hair, and joints.
Headaches are often due to detox reactions. Add 1g/week split across 2 servings. That is, 500 mg 2x/day during week one and 1g 2x/day during week two. Continue until taking 10-12g 2x/day, then cut to 2g 2x/day as maintenance.

MSM works better when taken in flake form on an empty stomach, as it tends to react/bind with many things.

Silicon/monomethylsilanetriol also goes well with MSM (ie, MSM + Si + C).

Last edited:

Mossy

Headaches are often due to detox reactions. Add 1g/week split across 2 servings. That is, 500 mg 2x/day during week one and 1g 2x/day during week two. Continue until taking 10-12g 2x/day, then cut to 2g 2x/day as maintenance.

MSM works better when taken in flake form on an empty stomach, as it tends to react/bind with many things.

Silicon/monomethylsilanetriol also goes well with MSM (ie, MSM + Si + C).
Thanks for the advice. Do you have any thoughts or experience with taking molybdenum with it? Here is a reputable brand that includes molybdenum and vitamin C with msm:
MSM + Vitamin C

P.S. I see that you do mention the C in your post. So, just any thoughts on the molybdenum, if you have any. I’ve also noted your recommendation of silicon. Thanks.

Last edited:

baccheion

Thanks for the advice. Do you have any thoughts or experience with taking molybdenum with it? Here is a reputable brand that includes molybdenum and vitamin C with msm:
MSM + Vitamin C

P.S. I see that you do mention the C in your post. So, just any thoughts on the molybdenum, if you have any. I’ve also noted your recommendation of silicon. Thanks.
I think it's a good idea. I got a few hundred mcg (500?) from the supplement I was taking. I prefer MSM flakes/crystals rather than capsules. See: msm-msm, happy body, h2o air water americas, etc.

Either way, split the dose across at least 2 servings. Take earlier in the day or immediately before bed (ie, with head on pillow) to avoid insomnia.

Liquid monomethylsilanetriol is a superior form of silica, and given absorption, only bamboo extract is cheaper.

Dave Clark

I am holding out on MSM until I get a clear picture as to whether high doses of sulfur will affect the bio-available copper in our bodies. So far, no one seems to really know, but when you look it up, it shows sulfur to be an antagonist to copper (similar to zinc/copper or calcium/magnesium, etc.). In other words, if someone is using several grams/day of MSM, are they unwittingly lowering their bio-available copper, or perhaps their ceruloplasmin? I am currently just relying on my diet for sulfur, and will not add more in supplement form until I am convinced it will not imbalance other minerals. If anyone here knows something about this, please post.

whit

My theory on MSM is if the the other substances are loose in the body it will combine with them which can help clear up all sorts of issues.
If however they are in use or under the bodies control the interaction is minimal.
That's why we take MSM at seperate times than other supplements.
Before meals works better for some.

Fexxx

I am holding out on MSM until I get a clear picture as to whether high doses of sulfur will affect the bio-available copper in our bodies. So far, no one seems to really know, but when you look it up, it shows sulfur to be an antagonist to copper (similar to zinc/copper or calcium/magnesium, etc.). In other words, if someone is using several grams/day of MSM, are they unwittingly lowering their bio-available copper, or perhaps their ceruloplasmin? I am currently just relying on my diet for sulfur, and will not add more in supplement form until I am convinced it will not imbalance other minerals. If anyone here knows something about this, please post.

MSM increase the copper absorbtion
(->ceruloplasmin).
Low Bio free copper = GOOD
Low ceruloplasmin = BAD

ddjd

(->ceruloplasmin).
Low ceruloplasmin = BAD

this would be my experience.

also worth adding, all my joint and bone pains - hip, back, shins, elbows, knee - all disapeared since i started taking optiMSM from dr.best. ive tried a few different brands and the capsules from them (not tablets) have nothing but the msm powder in them , and are a very high quality product. its amazing how pain free my body is now compared to before.

Mossy

I think it's a good idea. I got a few hundred mcg (500?) from the supplement I was taking. I prefer MSM flakes/crystals rather than capsules. See: msm-msm, happy body, h2o air water americas, etc.

Either way, split the dose across at least 2 servings. Take earlier in the day or immediately before bed (ie, with head on pillow) to avoid insomnia.

Liquid monomethylsilanetriol is a superior form of silica, and given absorption, only bamboo extract is cheaper.
I do have the flakes, so I'm good there.

The immediately before bed idea is interesting. I think I'll try that. So, just about the time any alertness/energizing effect kicks in, it's time to get up anyway.

I think I'll try the msm first, then add the silica if I succeed with that.

Mossy

(->ceruloplasmin).
Low ceruloplasmin = BAD
This is interesting. I'm currently trying copper glycinate, which is the cheaper version; I can't afford the more expensive version right now. Could it be argued that while taking MSM the copper supplement may not be needed?

rei

Anyone know if DMSO2 (MSM) works similarly as DMSO in increasing absorption transdermally?

Dave Clark

(->ceruloplasmin).
Low ceruloplasmin = BAD
So, are you saying that MSM increases bio-available copper and does not contribute to copper toxicity? Are you saying that MSM increases ceruloplasmin? If so, where did you get your information, are there any studies confirming this assertion? If that isn't the case, and I am misunderstanding you, please explain. Most all academic information says that sulfur is a copper antagonist, so I am not seeing how MSM could increase copper being that it is a sulfur compound.

Dave Clark

Magic of MSM

My Top Five Supplement Recommendations To Improve Digestive Health

@Dave Clark
Sorry, no academic Sources but maybe the Impressions from the linked Sites are interesting to decide how helpful MSM "could" be?
Thank you for the links. I do know from my research the benefits of MSM, but I am still wondering how you came to the conclusions about MSM being good for copper and ceruloplasmin, maybe I missed something in your links. I think MSM is a health promoting compound, but like other minerals, etc., one has to be sure that it is not imbalancing something else in our bodies. I am still cautious until I see some evidence that the MSM does not suppress ceruloplasmin or reduce bio-available copper.

LiveWire

I ocassionaly take a heaping tablespoon of a pretty good quality German MSM.

Outside of the fact that I like the bitter disgusting yet strangely refreshing taste, I don’t ever feel anything. What’s wrong with me?

baccheion

I ocassionaly take a heaping tablespoon of a pretty good quality German MSM.

Outside of the fact that I like the bitter disgusting yet strangely refreshing taste, I don’t ever feel anything. What’s wrong with me?
Liking the taste implies it's needed. See: zinc taste test.

Maybe you can try the protocol: add 1g/week until taking 10g 2x/day, then drop to 2g 2x/day as maintenance. 4g:1g MSM:C. 500-1,000 mcg molybdenum to aid conversion to sulfates.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals