Hot Flashes In A Man - Am I Hypothyroid?

DMF

They last for a second or two/three, they come and go especially during times of stress, troubling thoughts can also set "these" off.

meatbag

They last for a second or two/three, they come and go especially during times of stress, troubling thoughts can also set "these" off.

yeah I think so, have you checked out this article before? Hot flashes, energy, and aging

I noticed that salt can kind of help with this. I got them more when I used to eat mostly starch for carbs so maybe they are mediated by low blood sugar as is discussed in the aforementioned article but I don't really know.

"One of the things progesterone does is to stabilize blood sugar. In one experiment, hot flashes were found to be increased by lowering blood sugar, and decreased by moderately increasing blood sugar (Dormire and Reame, 2003). Hypoglycemia increases the brain hormone, corticotropin release hormone, CRH (Widmaier, et al., 1988), which increases ACTH and cortisol. CRH causes vasodilation (Clifton, et al., 2005), and is more active in the presence of estrogen. Menopausal women are more responsive to its effects, and those with the most severe hot flushes are the most responsive (Yakubo, et al., 1990).

The first reaction to a decrease of blood glucose, at least in healthy individuals, is to increase the activity of the sympathetic nervous system, with an increase of adrenaline, which causes the liver to release glucose from its glycogen stores. The effect of adrenaline on the liver is very quick, but adrenaline also acts on the brain, stimulating CRH, which causes the pituitary to secrete ACTH, which stimulates the adrenal cortex to release cortisol, which by various means causes blood sugar to increase, consequently causing the sympathetic nervous activity to decrease. Even when the liver's glycogen stores are adequate, the system cycles rhythmically, usually repeating about every 90 minutes throughout the day."

OP
D

DMF

yeah I think so, have you checked out this article before? Hot flashes, energy, and aging

I noticed that salt can kind of help with this. I got them more when I used to eat mostly starch for carbs so maybe they are mediated by low blood sugar as is discussed in the aforementioned article but I don't really know.

"One of the things progesterone does is to stabilize blood sugar. In one experiment, hot flashes were found to be increased by lowering blood sugar, and decreased by moderately increasing blood sugar (Dormire and Reame, 2003). Hypoglycemia increases the brain hormone, corticotropin release hormone, CRH (Widmaier, et al., 1988), which increases ACTH and cortisol. CRH causes vasodilation (Clifton, et al., 2005), and is more active in the presence of estrogen. Menopausal women are more responsive to its effects, and those with the most severe hot flushes are the most responsive (Yakubo, et al., 1990).

The first reaction to a decrease of blood glucose, at least in healthy individuals, is to increase the activity of the sympathetic nervous system, with an increase of adrenaline, which causes the liver to release glucose from its glycogen stores. The effect of adrenaline on the liver is very quick, but adrenaline also acts on the brain, stimulating CRH, which causes the pituitary to secrete ACTH, which stimulates the adrenal cortex to release cortisol, which by various means causes blood sugar to increase, consequently causing the sympathetic nervous activity to decrease. Even when the liver's glycogen stores are adequate, the system cycles rhythmically, usually repeating about every 90 minutes throughout the day."

OP
D

DMF

I'm a MAN not a women. Thanks for replying though.

ShotTrue

I got them when my estrogen or? progesterone were low, and when something raises my cortisol or prolactin a lot it seems to occur

ShotTrue

So I know you're a man, as am I, but it may be worth looking low 'female' hormones or too high stress hormones.
I can't speak on T4/T3 levels as those have been normal for me, but elevated TSH never caused me hot flashes

Beefcake

It’s stress hormones. Best way is to try and balance blood sugar. Eat enough when you’re stressed. Dont over exercise. Im a man and used to get hot flashes. It was because I was in overall bad health. The hot flashes always peaked after doing something stressfull or working out to hard.

ShotTrue

It’s stress hormones. Best way is to try and balance blood sugar. Eat enough when you’re stressed. Dont over exercise. Im a man and used to get hot flashes. It was because I was in overall bad health. The hot flashes always peaked after doing something stressfull or working out to hard.
Remember the "cortisol steal" where the body uses/takes progesterone to create cortisol. So high cortisol could lead to too low progesterone = hot flash.

OP
D

DMF

I once "begged" for a CBC at an emergency room when I was having a high anxiety episode. Few days later, EM Doc said I'm hypothyroid, told me to get in touch with my general internist who by then one week later gave me another CBC and thyroid levels by then were normal.
Recently moved into an apartment that is too hot and without individual controls for each unit - and it's making me crazy in that I'm a "cold room Winter sleeper" 5-6 blankets
and window open . The lack of control over the heat is a helplessness issue - which I believe leads to my lower thyroid levels (not to mention increased cortisol) and not really the temperature. I can get these flashes anytime of year during any conditions.

meatbag

I once "begged" for a CBC at an emergency room when I was having a high anxiety episode. Few days later, EM Doc said I'm hypothyroid, told me to get in touch with my general internist who by then one week later gave me another CBC and thyroid levels by then were normal.
Recently moved into an apartment that is too hot and without individual controls for each unit - and it's making me crazy in that I'm a "cold room Winter sleeper" 5-6 blankets
and window open . The lack of control over the heat is a helplessness issue - which I believe leads to my lower thyroid levels (not to mention increased cortisol) and not really the temperature. I can get these flashes anytime of year during any conditions.

Have you ever checked your body temperature and pulse rate before and after eating first thing in the morning?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
You might want to investigate if you have mast cell activation problems / histamine intolerance.

Motif

Mine is pretty much gone right now.

No idea why.
I‘m taking magnesium and i‘m using a Vibration plate only very light and not too long cause this I think will stress the body again.

ShotTrue

Mine is pretty much gone right now.

No idea why.
I‘m taking magnesium and i‘m using a Vibration plate only very light and not too long cause this I think will stress the body again.
magnesium is powerful for hormones. Something it does to estrogen and progesterone