What's Peat's Opinion On D-mannose For Bladder Infections ?

Birdie

I've used D-mannose for many years and find it works well and fast if started with early symptoms.

It just occurred to me that I've not heard or read Ray's opinion on its use. I imagine he would say that for occasional use it's okay.

Has anybody heard or read what he says about its safety?

managing

I asked him for my mother. He said "it should not cause any harm" or something very similar.

However, due to its antiseptic effects in the gut (I assume) it was causing her gas and a sore neck.

jaminhealth

It's in a great UTI product, UT Answer. I know it helps an older friend of mine who is plagued with too many UTI's....

yerrag

Very helpful for UTI but when there's incontinence and using a diaper, it's useless as the bacteria mannose attaches to and gets excreted thru urine comes back thru the orifice.

UTI can't help but be recurring. Antibiotics will be needed but often fluoroquinolones like Cipro or Levaquin/Lovoflixacin gets prescribed. These destroy nerves and cause loss of sensorium and the ability to chew and swallow. Alternatives to such antibiotics need to be explored such as colloidal silver.

managing

Very helpful for UTI but when there's incontinence and using a diaper, it's useless as the bacteria mannose attaches to and gets excreted thru urine comes back thru the orifice.

UTI can't help but be recurring. Antibiotics will be needed but often fluoroquinolones like Cipro or Levaquin/Lovoflixacin gets prescribed. These destroy nerves and cause loss of sensorium and the ability to chew and swallow. Alternatives to such antibiotics need to be explored such as colloidal silver.
Not disagreeing about its UT activity. But I've taken it, and it certainly seems to ALSO have some GI action. Not saying it would be useful in incontinence, I cannot know.

yerrag

Not disagreeing about its UT activity. But I've taken it, and it certainly seems to ALSO have some GI action. Not saying it would be useful in incontinence, I cannot know.
I was helpless in seeing my mom deteriorate to a point where she needed to be brought to the hospital time and again for UTI thst needed intravenous drips of antibiotics. Would regain her health only temporarily. Once UTI comes back, it's back to the hospital.

As I explained, D mannose works well, but diaper use causes the bacteria to get back into the urinary tract and infection recurs.

Best way imho is prevention. Keep bladder control muscles and nerves functional. Good thyroid and high metabolism helps in that way. Kegel exercises too. Avoid fluoroquinolones as there are other antibiotics such as macrolides for example.

Yet people only think of crossing the bridge when they get there.

jaminhealth

My friend is 93 and knows about the incontinence issue, she was given the deadly Cipro at a point and talk about damage done from that abx...bad class of abx drugs. Cipro Side Effects: Common, Severe, Long Term - Drugs.com

My daughter ended up with two ruptured tendons in feet, she had no clue about the danger of that drug. She does now.

Ella

Forum Supporter
@Birdie, Ellura by Flordis (Aussie company) is backed by clinical trials and the growing, harvesting and extraction is certified. I don't think any other product provides the surety in quality. Use in the first instant and use combined with antibiotics. You need to recognise early symptoms of infection as signs can be very deceptive. Early signs such as thrush, slight irritation, vaginal dryness, getting up during the night to pee, constipation, slight cough, fluttering on the right side of chest, or difficulty in breathing can be easily attributed to other causes. I know this is what happened to me. Didn't realise it was infection until my health deteriorated significantly. Antibiotic are a concern, so you need to cycle to prevent resistance. Currently, exploring alternative to antibiotics as I know they are only short term fix.

Longer term you need to maintain an anabolic state to prevent lean muscle loss, optimise Vitamin D, progesterone and testosterone. If liver and kidneys impaired be careful with vitamin D supplementation or other forms of supplementation.

However, don't overdo exercise, as heme pigment from muscle breakdown will not only attract bacteria but make them more virulent due to iron sequestration and you will damage kidneys as they will not be filtering efficiently.

I have never experienced such a devastating event. UTIs have never been an issue for me. It's just not post-menopausal women or the elderly in age-care that suffer, they seem to be a recurrent problem throughout life and more common in females than males. Males though are not exempt.

I lost weight and got my figure back and now wonder whether it was all worth it; having to experience this scary dementing journey. Everyone compliments me on how sexy I look. **** that!!! I'd rather be fat and unsexy. How can anyone feel sexy when they're so ill. At least I'm not dead :) I want my chipmunk cheeks back. Even fat thighs and fat arse seem appealing now. Just because Peat can maintain health being sedentary does not apply to all. Found that out the hard way. BTW, chopping wood is not actually sedentary. Sorry for the rant. I need to workout how on earth he manages those one-legged sit ups once every ten years. Must be easier for men than females. :blondemoment

Lollipop2

@Birdie, Ellura by Flordis (Aussie company) is backed by clinical trials and the growing, harvesting and extraction is certified. I don't think any other product provides the surety in quality. Use in the first instant and use combined with antibiotics. You need to recognise early symptoms of infection as signs can be very deceptive. Early signs such as thrush, slight irritation, vaginal dryness, getting up during the night to pee, constipation, slight cough, fluttering on the right side of chest, or difficulty in breathing can be easily attributed to other causes. I know this is what happened to me. Didn't realise it was infection until my health deteriorated significantly. Antibiotic are a concern, so you need to cycle to prevent resistance. Currently, exploring alternative to antibiotics as I know they are only short term fix.

Longer term you need to maintain an anabolic state to prevent lean muscle loss, optimise Vitamin D, progesterone and testosterone. If liver and kidneys impaired be careful with vitamin D supplementation or other forms of supplementation.

However, don't overdo exercise, as heme pigment from muscle breakdown will not only attract bacteria but make them more virulent due to iron sequestration and you will damage kidneys as they will not be filtering efficiently.

I have never experienced such a devastating event. UTIs have never been an issue for me. It's just not post-menopausal women or the elderly in age-care that suffer, they seem to be a recurrent problem throughout life and more common in females than males. Males though are not exempt.

I lost weight and got my figure back and now wonder whether it was all worth it; having to experience this scary dementing journey. Everyone compliments me on how sexy I look. **** that!!! I'd rather be fat and unsexy. How can anyone feel sexy when they're so ill. At least I'm not dead :) I want my chipmunk cheeks back. Even fat thighs and fat arse seem appealing now. Just because Peat can maintain health being sedentary does not apply to all. Found that out the hard way. BTW, chopping wood is not actually sedentary. Sorry for the rant. I need to workout how on earth he manages those one-legged sit ups once every ten years. Must be easier for men than females. :blondemoment
What a remarkable post @Ella! Thank you from all of us who read it...

OP
B

Birdie

Thanks @Ella and also @yerrag for going into it. Sometimes it's good to get the begeebbers scared out of you. And you did just that for me.

My experience is that taking the treatment immediately when I first feel I might might be getting a bladder infection is important. I also use amoxicillin with it which I do low dose and intermittently a la Peat's advice for using it in other situations.

I found out last time that the D-mannose alone wasn't enough. Maybe I started it too late and didn't continue it long enough. The thing would seem to be gone, and then return. Before this, UTIs had never been an ongoing problem for me. I'd rarely get one and the mannose would take care of it.

Lately, I've started taking the mannose preventatively about once a week. I just use the Now brand that is easily available here. I am worn down from packing for another move. Awakening in the night stressed out. So, thank you from the bottom of my heart because I have a tendency to think nothing cn really be wrong when I feel a little under the weather.

We are moving to a sunnier state with more even barometric pressure which I think I need. Thanks again to both of you.

yerrag

Hope d-mannose would be enough for you and you can won't need to take any drugs for UTI at all, as you improve and maintain your metabolic health as well as keep your nervous system at its peak.

The evil of Cipro is that it leads to loss of nervous control also on the ability to control the bladder sphincter. In the long run, it worsens the UTI problem by making people have to wear a diaper for the incontinence it causes.

It's not easy to connect the cause and effect, especially when we are made to believe that it's because we're getting older. And that our muscles get weaker as we age.

The misdirection is appalling.

tara

I've had a couple of patches of recurring UTIs in the past, but not recently. When they get too far they are NASTY, and sometimes they can develop quickly. Extreme overwhelming discomfort. Very difficult to travel to doctor to get prescription. I have treated dozens with antibiotics, but I don't remember what kind. Once, when I was treating with natural methods to try to avoid more antibiotics, I got a very high systemic infection. Can get into kidneys if not stopped.

Eventually, I got into the habit of drinking a little cranberry juice daily any time I thought I was in the least at risk. Along with other basic prophylaxis, this made a big difference. I gather it's served regularly in some elder care establishments for this reason. Possibly it contains D-mannose? I got some D-mannose powder a few years ago to have on hand when I read all the recommendations for it. I haven't had need of it since, so no personal experience of it.

Must be easier for men than females.
Yes, I think this may be one of the actual (as opposed to culturally-induced) differences between us - men generally build and maintain skeletal muscle with less effort, right?

Last edited:

yerrag

Possibly it contains D-mannose? I got some D-mannose powder a few years ago to have on hand when I read all the recommendations for it. I haven't had need of it since, so no personal experience of it.
It has d-mannose, but it also has proanthocyanidines that have antibacterial properties as well.

vrd2107

I take Haidut's Camphosal every day and it's stopped my recurring UTIs (I used to get them every 3 months) completely. I also emailed with Ray about my chronic UTIs, FWIW, here's what he said:

"Have the doctors identified various organisms? Sometimes using 10% sulfur soap once or twice can change the flora on the skin so that it stops harboring the types that cause problems. A change of diet can also modify the skin and membranes so that they resist infection. Foods that are high in protein, low in starch, with enough vitamins A and D, are the most helpful."

OP
B

Birdie

I take Haidut's Camphosal every day and it's stopped my recurring UTIs (I used to get them every 3 months) completely. I also emailed with Ray about my chronic UTIs, FWIW, here's what he said:

"Have the doctors identified various organisms? Sometimes using 10% sulfur soap once or twice can change the flora on the skin so that it stops harboring the types that cause problems. A change of diet can also modify the skin and membranes so that they resist infection. Foods that are high in protein, low in starch, with enough vitamins A and D, are the most helpful."
Thanks. Think I’ll use some sulfur soap. It’s been in remission but should use some d- mannose too. My husband has used the mannose at times too when needed. Not often.

OP
B

Birdie

Keep me posted on how the sulfur soap works for you! I never tried it before.
I can’t find the sulfur soap. Moved recently and so.. Where do you think Peat meant to use it. I sure wouldn’t risk throwing off my para vaginal/pubic area pH! I was gonna use it on tummy, thighs and outer butt areas. That could reduce bacteria but not so directly.

I think I’ll stick to other approaches unless there is more info re application of sulfur soap. I’m sensitive to pH changes.

Last edited:

vrd2107

I can’t find the sulfur soap. Moved recently and so.. Where do you think Peat meant to use it. I sure wouldn’t risk throwing off my para vaginal/pubic area pH! I was gonna use it on tummy, thighs and outer butt areas. That could reduce bacteria but not so directly.

I think I’ll stick to other approaches unless there is more info re application of sulfur soap. I’m sensitive to pH changes.

Well I could revive the email thread with him and ask... I think he probably meant outer areas around the vagina and near the anus (not to be crass). Hear you on PH related concerns, I never tried it for the same reasons.

Supplementing the camphosal has seriously worked for me.

I know the pain of UTIs/bladder infections are intense so I really hope you find a treatment/prevention plan that works well for you and your body. I have not experienced childbirth, but my mother has told me UTIs are worse. I’ll let you update here if I hear anything new from Ray.

uderim

Hi, how much camphosal do you take each day ? and is it still working for you ?
thanks

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals