Manuka Honey - Is It Really Good, Or Is It All Hype?

montmorency

Manuka honey seems to have sneaked up on me without my noticing. I mean it's suddenly all over the supermarkets in varying levels of "factor" and (very!) varying price.

Some of the prices are ridiculous. I daren't go near the shelves in case I accidentally knock one off and have to pay for it.

So, what's it supposed to be good for, and is it in fact any good?

I certainly like the idea of raw honey, and sometimes buy Tropical Forest honey, which is cold-pressed. That's about £4 per pound locally, which is probably already twice the price of more mass market honey, but the manuka stuff can go up to 5 times that, and maybe more.

jaa

Yeah it's ridiculously expensive. I bought the 16+ wederspoon stuff off of iherb a couple of times and it's unbelievably delicious.

Dutchie

I love the taste of it,better than regular honey. It helps me with my digestion and bacterial overgrowth.
According to this site it has all the vitamins A B C D E and K as also minerals and higher Ca to P ratio.
Unfortunately its true that you have to pay a high price for quality,but imho its seriously good.

lindsay

I'm going to order some and see if it helps my digestion. I also want to try it on my dog, who regularly gets infections of all sorts.

jimisonthenet

What were the results here? Has anybody noticed any positive effects from using Manuka honey? I just bought some and I'll post anything I discover from eating it

achillea

You are paying for marketing. Not saying that it's false advertising, but you can get similar properties for any honey harvested in a similar manner. Go directly to the beekeeper, if you can.

Talked to my beekeeper and he said that the bee organizations for small beekeepers have done extensive research on Manuka and concluded that it appears to be marketing.. A good source of honey in the USA anyway has similar minerals and enzymes.

i think good honey is good honey. The studies were funded by manuka promoters. There is a manuka index of how much manuka goodness is in honey, etc. But it applies to any honey.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Local, raw, non diluted honey is best honey.

Inaut

one other benefit of manuka honey over other honey is the infamous methyglyoxal @Travis

i can't justify the price although it is delicious indeed

achillea

The price is because it is considered medical. I have seen gold as medical grade and other a people grade. So the price.

jimisonthenet

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I live in the UK and bought it from Aldi (NPA +5 Manuka Honey). Exceptional taste, a complection of many different sweet flavours in there. First impressions for me were that it was the sugar equivalent of a complex beer!

The fructose will help me sleep, so overall a big success I feel. I also like local honeys and buy those too, but this is the first time for me tasting Manuka honey, and it's the best honey I've ever tasted

Ingenol

Tangential and anecdotal: I tried using it topically for MRSA/impetigo in my nostrils and saw no positive effects.

Whichway?

Ironic that if beekeepers found that their bees had gotten into the Manuka flowers they would have once thrown the honey out as it was considered bad tasting. Now it’s gold!

I think it tastes terrible. Lots of great tasting raw honeys out there that also have medicinal properties. It’s only the boiling and diluting of commercial honeys that turn it into a worthless (health wise) product.

yerrag

I think it's because the market is flooded with fake honey and adulterated honey that Manuka honey stands out. But certainly it helps that the nectar is sourced from a flower unique to Manuka, but the same can be said for honey made from the nectar of other flowers. It's just that Manuka name has the appeal because of the marketing involved in making it special. Real honey I buy has a smell and taste that sets it apart from the somewhat industrial honey I often see, which aside from being sweet is flat and flavorless.

TreasureVibe

Does anyone know if Manuka honey is really antibacterial as claimed? Because I just now read an article saying that it accelerates aging.

Mauritio

I tried mauka honey today for the first time .

The effects are instantly felt and miraculously . It feels like a stroong reduction in serotonin ! My mood became soo good after taking it. I was listening to music and singing along with it really enthusiasticly which I can only remember doing in my teen years.

I was long hesitant of trying manuka ,was even laughing about my sister since she knew about it from some insta girl, but it seems to be the real deal.

1 teaspoon seems to be equivalent to 50-100mg doxycycline. But with the honey i feels cleaner . no side effects at all.

This is definitely not comparable to any other honey I have eaten .

@Rinse & rePeat
What is your experience using manuka honey?

Manuka honey is pure medicine for everything in my household. We take it on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning and the same at bedtime, for any sickness, but it is especially effective for colds and sore throats. It it the beat first step, topically, for any wound or burn. I also take a big spoonful of it, if I wake up in the night, to get back to sleep. Like any raw honey on an empty stomach, it stimulates the digestive system too.