Why I Am Done With Peating Per Se

Mauritio

Do you have a quote for that? I've not heard him talk about that.
I am not sure anymore , now that i think about it i recall it was haidut ... but still close enough :D

tara

I could have myself written what you did in the OP.

And i don't consider it to be to quit peating. There are approximately as many views on what peating is as there are forum members.
+1
People need to realize that usually in science he (and everyone) is talking about the hypothetical average person. This is only what science can give you. It is a completely different thing how to apply it to you, personally. Everyone's body reacts differently to different things, at different times, etc. And ONLY by learning to listen to your body can you integrate the science with what actually is best for you, personally, right now.
+1
There are statistically analysed studies, eg double blind studies of interventions etc - as you say, they give an idea about averages.
And there are studies at a lower level in vitro of particular reactions etc.
What that happens in each individual is a hugely complex interaction of so many factors, that however much we study, learning to listen to our bodies is probably still the key to making enough sense of it to work really well for each of us.

OliviaD

Ray is a very eccentric man. One who's advice or suggestions should be taken with a grain of salt. As the OP stated, his contrarian stance has opened up many minds. Perceive, think, act, is a mantra that we should all strive to follow. I will also forever be grateful for Peat's work. I think people run into trouble when they take what he says literally. For example, they'll see a quote by him and then follow that quote 100% to a tee. Most of these people have not read enough of his articles to see that he does contradict himself, especially over the course of time. His views have changed over the years, which is a good thing, as should every person's views should change. It signifies intelligence and growth.

My advice to anyone who wants to follow Peat's work is to first read as much of his work as you can. Think very carefully about some of the things he is writing, for if not taking time to sleep on it, you'll wind up taking quotes of his out of context doing ridiculously restrictive things. I would advise people to stick to reading primarily his articles and avoid other websites and bloggers who try to "dumb down" his work. It's noble to try to make things more easily understood for the layman, however in the case of Peat's work this often does more harm than good, because if you read a quote from him without reading the whole article, you can completely lose the message he is getting at.
Well said. And I agree re reading his work. I have started reading his books, and also works he references, like Broda Barne's Thyroid book. In his "Nutrition for Women", he basically suggests the 'balanced' diet I grew up with in the midwest U.S. I think one thing that has changed is that the food is a lot different now than when Ray wrote his early work, and that has changed a lot. There wasn't glyphosate and mass farming. Food was local. We went to a real old fashioned butcher, and had bakeries where they didn't use preservatives and pufas in everything. I often wonder if it isn't the glyphosate, not the gluten; and all the extra crap, not the butter and sugar in the baked goods that are most problematic :)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Well said. And I agree re reading his work. I have started reading his books, and also works he references, like Broda Barne's Thyroid book. In his "Nutrition for Women", he basically suggests the 'balanced' diet I grew up with in the midwest U.S. I think one thing that has changed is that the food is a lot different now than when Ray wrote his early work, and that has changed a lot. There wasn't glyphosate and mass farming. Food was local. We went to a real old fashioned butcher, and had bakeries where they didn't use preservatives and pufas in everything. I often wonder if it isn't the glyphosate, not the gluten; and all the extra crap, not the butter and sugar in the baked goods that are most problematic :)
Yes, I agree. We had milk delivered to our door in glass bottles when I was a kid in the 70's!

OliviaD

Yes, I agree. We had milk delivered to our door in glass bottles when I was a kid in the 70's!
Yes! I still have a milk chute in my house! The good thing is that there is some push back! I am able to purchase raw milk, pastured eggs, chicken and beef from a farm that delivers to a house about 10 minutes away twice a week. The only drawback is that it is expensive to eat this much healthier food. Don't get me wrong - I have no problem paying $ for good food and want to support those providing it - however; I can see how for some it might not even be a possibility. And, the way the economy is going, it could be a possibility that I just can't afford it, or as much. I'll keep doing it as much as I can.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes! I still have a milk chute in my house! The good thing is that there is some push back! I am able to purchase raw milk, pastured eggs, chicken and beef from a farm that delivers to a house about 10 minutes away twice a week. The only drawback is that it is expensive to eat this much healthier food. Don't get me wrong - I have no problem paying $ for good food and want to support those providing it - however; I can see how for some it might not even be a possibility. And, the way the economy is going, it could be a possibility that I just can't afford it, or as much. I'll keep doing it as much as I can.
Yes, I sacrifice other things in order to get quality food. I was out of local lamb for a couple months and within a day or two of getting my order I felt my inflammation (that I didn’t realize I had) go down. What’s crazy is I was eating the best quality I could find from the grocery store but there’s really no comparison.

OliviaD

Yes, I sacrifice other things in order to get quality food. I was out of local lamb for a couple months and within a day or two of getting my order I felt my inflammation (that I didn’t realize I had) go down. What’s crazy is I was eating the best quality I could find from the grocery store but there’s really no comparison.
Me too! I was spending too much on supplements that were of dubious value - I decided it would be better to eat the good food. I still have the occasional binge on bad things , but I think having a good foundation helps mitigate the ill effects. And isn't it true? Since I've been buying the farm eggs and meat - it is so much better! I am also ecstatic that a real butcher shop also opened. They have their own farm, and some of the meat is from other farms, but all small ones. The grocery prices are so high now, some of the meat is not a lot more expensive, and it is so much better.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Me too! I was spending too much on supplements that were of dubious value - I decided it would be better to eat the good food. I still have the occasional binge on bad things , but I think having a good foundation helps mitigate the ill effects. And isn't it true? Since I've been buying the farm eggs and meat - it is so much better! I am also ecstatic that a real butcher shop also opened. They have their own farm, and some of the meat is from other farms, but all small ones. The grocery prices are so high now, some of the meat is not a lot more expensive, and it is so much better.
My lamb costs $9.75/lb but in the supermarket it’s $12.99. Of course I get a discount for buying a whole lamb. The eggs are only $3.00/dozen which I consider a bargain for the quality plus I can use the shells to make egg shell calcium! Woo hoo!!!

OliviaD

My lamb costs $9.75/lb but in the supermarket it’s $12.99. Of course I get a discount for buying a whole lamb. The eggs are only $3.00/dozen which I consider a bargain for the quality plus I can use the shells to make egg shell calcium! Woo hoo!!!
That's great. Nice to be able to buy in mass! Someday I'd like to be able to have a freezer to do that. That is a bargain for the eggs - I pay $6 - but I don't eat too many. I've been saving the shells to make egg shell calcium for the first time! Do you have a recipe? I read someone say they cooked them in the oven for awhile, then ground them up...

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Do you have a recipe? I read someone say they cooked them in the oven for awhile, then ground them up...
1. Rinse well
2. Boil for 5 minutes
3. Drain
4. Dry on the bake setting in the oven at about 215-225 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes
5. Let cool before grinding in a coffee grinder. I use a dedicated coffee grinder for the egg shells.

This is just what I do based off instructions that I found online years ago and has worked well for me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals