Why Raising Metabolism May NOT Rise CO2; Effect Of Drugs And Temperature On CO2 Tolerance

Dr. C

I am a trained anesthesiologist who has become a fan of CO2 in the recent years. I have read most of Ray Peat's works and I truly believe that CO2 is key to life.

There is only one point I was struggling with: When boosting metabolism and increasing body temperature, CO2 rises. That sounds good. But unfortunately it seems like the ventilatory drive is also increasing. I have experienced this from myself as well as with some patients. Now I have had a look at the literature and found this 2000 study:

Boden AG, Harris MC, Parkes MJ: A respiratory drive in addition to the increase in CO(2) production at raised body temperature in rats. - PubMed - NCBI
Mammals that use the ventilatory system as the principal means of increasing heat loss, i.e. that pant, show two fundamental changes in the control of breathing at raised temperatures. First, alveolar ventilation increases by more than, rather than in proportion to, the increase in CO2 production. Second, hypocapnia no longer causes apnoea. Rats do not use the ventilatory system as the principal means of increasing heat loss, so we have investigated whether rats also show these two changes at raised temperatures. Breathing was detected from diaphragmatic electromyogram (EMG) activity. Anaesthesia and hyperoxia were used to minimise behavioural and hypoxic drives to ventilation and arterial PCO2 (Pa,CO2) was controlled using mechanical ventilation. At 36.6 +/- 0.1 >C, breathing was absent as long as Pa,CO2 was held below a threshold level of 32.9 +/- 0.7 mm Hg (n = 14) under steady-state conditions. When body temperature in rats was raised above 37 >C, both fundamental changes in the control of breathing became apparent. First, at 39 >C the mean Pa,CO2 level during spontaneous breathing (39.6 +/- 5.4 mm Hg, n = 4) fell by 3.9 +/- 1.4 mm Hg (P < 0.05, Student's paired t test). Second, at 39.9 +/- 0.1 >C breathing was present when mean Pa,CO2 levels were only 18.2 +/- 1.5 mm Hg (n = 14), the lowest mean Pa,CO2 level we could achieve with mechanical ventilation. We calculate, however, that at 39.9 >C, the drive to breathe from the increased CO2 production alone would not sustain breathing below a Pa,CO2 level of 27.8 +/- 1.4 mm Hg (n = 13). In rats at raised body temperatures therefore a respiratory drive exists that is in addition to that related to the increase in CO2 production.

I just wanted to let you know of this study as I was reading this forum and came across this question at some point.

On my own clinical experiences:

I have closely observed patients with chronic hyperventilations syndrome during general anesthesia. Unless I block their respiration with muscle relaxants or high doses of opioids, they just KEEP their (low) CO2 setpoint. When I increase their temperature with a heating device (e.g. from 36°C to 37,5°C during a long surgery), their minute ventilations just RISES until I limit that with muscle relaxants or an opioid. Even after days on the intensive care unit with an opioid depressed ventilation, most of these patients return after the extubation just to their 'normal' hyperventilating breathing patterns.

Unfortunately, I am still looking the the 'magic bullet' to improve CO2 tolerance. Volatile anesthetics, high dose benzodiazepines and high dose opioid do work, but this is certainly not for everyday use. Alternatives like Tianeptin seem to have a neglect-able effect with its normal dose (like reducing mean breathing frequency from 18.3 to 18.1). If you do have any experience with a drug that increases CO2 tolerance, please share this with me.

I have equipped some patients with a Spire device which tracks the breathing frequency and alarms patients when their breathing becomes 'tense'. This sometimes helps patients to perform Buteyko-like exercises at the right moment. Some of these patients report of far less Asthma symptoms. I an can also confirm that Buteyko was right on the breathing frequency correlating with the CO2. At least the etCO2 in my patients who reported a reduced breathing frequency on their Spire device also had more normal (higher) etCO2 levels when I checked.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I am a trained anesthesiologist who has become a fan of CO2 in the recent years. I have read most of Ray Peat's works and I truly believe that CO2 is key to life.

There is only one point I was struggling with: When boosting metabolism and increasing body temperature, CO2 rises. That sounds good. But unfortunately it seems like the ventilatory drive is also increasing. I have experienced this from myself as well as with some patients. Now I have had a look at the literature and found this 2000 study:

Boden AG, Harris MC, Parkes MJ: A respiratory drive in addition to the increase in CO(2) production at raised body temperature in rats. - PubMed - NCBI
Mammals that use the ventilatory system as the principal means of increasing heat loss, i.e. that pant, show two fundamental changes in the control of breathing at raised temperatures. First, alveolar ventilation increases by more than, rather than in proportion to, the increase in CO2 production. Second, hypocapnia no longer causes apnoea. Rats do not use the ventilatory system as the principal means of increasing heat loss, so we have investigated whether rats also show these two changes at raised temperatures. Breathing was detected from diaphragmatic electromyogram (EMG) activity. Anaesthesia and hyperoxia were used to minimise behavioural and hypoxic drives to ventilation and arterial PCO2 (Pa,CO2) was controlled using mechanical ventilation. At 36.6 +/- 0.1 >C, breathing was absent as long as Pa,CO2 was held below a threshold level of 32.9 +/- 0.7 mm Hg (n = 14) under steady-state conditions. When body temperature in rats was raised above 37 >C, both fundamental changes in the control of breathing became apparent. First, at 39 >C the mean Pa,CO2 level during spontaneous breathing (39.6 +/- 5.4 mm Hg, n = 4) fell by 3.9 +/- 1.4 mm Hg (P < 0.05, Student's paired t test). Second, at 39.9 +/- 0.1 >C breathing was present when mean Pa,CO2 levels were only 18.2 +/- 1.5 mm Hg (n = 14), the lowest mean Pa,CO2 level we could achieve with mechanical ventilation. We calculate, however, that at 39.9 >C, the drive to breathe from the increased CO2 production alone would not sustain breathing below a Pa,CO2 level of 27.8 +/- 1.4 mm Hg (n = 13). In rats at raised body temperatures therefore a respiratory drive exists that is in addition to that related to the increase in CO2 production.

I just wanted to let you know of this study as I was reading this forum and came across this question at some point.

On my own clinical experiences:

I have closely observed patients with chronic hyperventilations syndrome during general anesthesia. Unless I block their respiration with muscle relaxants or high doses of opioids, they just KEEP their (low) CO2 setpoint. When I increase their temperature with a heating device (e.g. from 36°C to 37,5°C during a long surgery), their minute ventilations just RISES until I limit that with muscle relaxants or an opioid. Even after days on the intensive care unit with an opioid depressed ventilation, most of these patients return after the extubation just to their 'normal' hyperventilating breathing patterns.

Unfortunately, I am still looking the the 'magic bullet' to improve CO2 tolerance. Volatile anesthetics, high dose benzodiazepines and high dose opioid do work, but this is certainly not for everyday use. Alternatives like Tianeptin seem to have a neglect-able effect with its normal dose (like reducing mean breathing frequency from 18.3 to 18.1). If you do have any experience with a drug that increases CO2 tolerance, please share this with me.

I have equipped some patients with a Spire device which tracks the breathing frequency and alarms patients when their breathing becomes 'tense'. This sometimes helps patients to perform Buteyko-like exercises at the right moment. Some of these patients report of far less Asthma symptoms. I an can also confirm that Buteyko was right on the breathing frequency correlating with the CO2. At least the etCO2 in my patients who reported a reduced breathing frequency on their Spire device also had more normal (higher) etCO2 levels when I checked.

In my personal experience and a few anecdotes I received from people, both thiamine and MB (alone or even better in combination) raise CO2 while usually causing LOWER breathing frequency. One day I took a hefty dose of thiamine (1,500mg oral dose of the Hcl salt) combined with 5mg MB. An hour afterwards, I was basically sedated and my respiratory drive went down to about 1-2 per minute, without any sense of discomfort or incoming panic/anxiety (which sometimes happens when CO2 rises). A lower dose thiamine (300mg) puts me at about 3-4 breaths per minute. A combination of succinic acid and MB does the same, but is less pronounced than the thiamine+MB combo.
Thiamine is both a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor (CO2 goes up) and activator of PDH (CO2 goes up), so that may explain these effects. Don't know of any other substance that can do both.
https://raypeatforum.com/community/...inhibitor-as-effective-as-acetazolamide.6833/

Not sure if you have seen this below, but apparently low CO2 (through high CA activity) is a key drives of the aging process. Thus, inhibiting CA seems to be one viable systemic anti-aging technique.
https://raypeatforum.com/community/...r-of-aging-inhibiting-it-is-beneficial.13642/

In my experience, taking thyroid is actually a respiratory stimulant for many people and can negate the benefits of higher CO2 production unless they consciously monitor their breathing and restrain it. Subclinical thiamine deficiency also seems to exists in many people and getting more thyroid in such a state may not result in higher CO2.

Dhair

In my experience, taking thyroid is actually a respiratory stimulant for many people and can negate the benefits of higher CO2 production unless they consciously monitor their breathing and restrain it. Subclinical thiamine deficiency also seems to exists in many people and getting more thyroid in such a state may not result in higher CO2.
Maybe thiamine deficiency is the primary cause of nervousness from thyroid? Broda Barnes and others mention a "B-vitamin deficiency" as being the likely culprit, but never any mention of which B vitamins, specific dose or duration.

OP
D

Dr. C

The creatine did not work, but 1g+ of thiamine really lowered by breathing frequency. That you for this great piece of information.

I tracked my EtCO2 levels while doing this. Although my breathing frequency dropped from 15/min to 9/min, my EtCO2 only changed from 44mmHg to 46mmHg. This is just a very small effect.

Also, after the effect of the thiamine was over, my very normal breathing frequency took over. I had expected it to be a bit lower as I got used to tollerate more CO2 .

When I do sports with CO2 adaptation training (the only technique besides breathing exercises know to me to generate truely higher CO2 levels) I usually have a slightly lower breathing frequency for some days.

Therefore, thiamine does only seem to lower my CO2 production but it does not seem to enlarge my CO2 tollerance?

@haidut, what are your thoughts on this?

Runenight201

Hi could you elaborate on how CO2 production and CO2 tolerance are related? And ideally what do we want to happen that leads to better health?

I’m under the impression that the higher levels of CO2 in the body, the healthier we are.

So your minute ventilation went down, but your EtCO2 barely changed, so that means your body was breathing out more CO2 with each exhalation?

Andman

@Dr. C any updates from clincal practice or self experiments? i believe this is a very interesting topic for a lot of users here (including me ofc)

OP
D

Dr. C

> could you elaborate on how CO2 production and CO2 tolerance are related?

Every person has like a certain CO2 setpoint. Under normal conditions, your body will keep your CO2 level consistent no matter what.

> I’m under the impression that the higher levels of CO2 in the body, the healthier we are.
This may be true.

> So your minute ventilation went down, but your EtCO2 barely changed, so that means your body was breathing out more CO2 with each exhalation?

Yes. The point is, when you focus on breathing it is possible to tollerate a higher pCO2. But as soon as you let things go, your body returns to your CO2 setpoint. My my case I think I started to take deeper breaths, so my minute ventilation volume may have stayed the same although my breathing frequency went down.

Unfortunately it seems very very hard to me to change this CO2 setpoint. Most likely only small changes over a long period of time are possible.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Unfortunately it seems very very hard to me to change this CO2 setpoint. Most likely only small changes over a long period of time are possible.

It seems that way to me too. I noticed when I took diamox it just increased my RR. My etco2 seems fine at the high end of normal but unfortunately I didn't have the ability to check it early on into implementing Peat's ideas so I don't know if it improved over the years.

Do you think elevated co2 sometimes seen in COPD and Obesity Hypoventilation is somewhat protective in those conditions?

OP
D

Dr. C

> Do you think elevated co2 sometimes seen in COPD and Obesity Hypoventilation is somewhat protective in those conditions?

No, these people don't have any CO2 tollerance anymore. Their breathing is only triggered by lack of oxygen.
A CO2 of 42+ mmHg is good. But a CO2 of 75mmHg in a severely sick COPD patient may help the Bohr-Haldane-effect to shift the little oxygen circulating in their bloods to the cells, but these patients do not have any good quality of life anymore (I am trained in emergency medicine and have treated a lot of such cases).

Blossom

Forum Supporter
No, these people don't have any CO2 tollerance anymore. Their breathing is only triggered by lack of oxygen.
A CO2 of 42+ mmHg is good. But a CO2 of 75mmHg in a severely sick COPD patient may help the Bohr-Haldane-effect to shift the little oxygen circulating in their bloods to the cells, but these patients do not have any good quality of life anymore (I am trained in emergency medicine and have treated a lot of such cases).
Thanks for the explanation. So when they shift over to a hypoxic drive of breathing it's essentially a completely difficult situation.

Runenight201

So the etCO2 levels in a normal resting state are equivalent to what the CO2 setpoint.

I wonder if there's a study comparing etCO2 levels in exercise endurance trained vs untrained individuals. I'm pretty sure Buteyko was big on exercise being the only way to maintain a control pause of greater than 60... It's been a while since I've looked into Buteyko, but I'm starting to circle back on the importance of CO2. He stated that people who would like to maintain their CP greater than 60 would have to exercise at least 2 hours (o_O) every day.

Dr. C your comment on sports and CO2 adaption training spurred me to practice high intensity interval exercise training while strictly nasal breathing today. I can positively say that the after effects were very beneficial, in that I feel much more relaxed and breathing at ease. I also feel like my mind is clearer and I don't have the same amount of brain fog I had earlier today. I'm reading a review on the endocrine response to exercise, and while the catecholamine hormones are elevated during intense exercise, they return to base or even below baseline in the following hours after exercise. What's even cooler, is that over time, the catecholamine response to the same intensity of exercise falls as the body adapts to that same level of stress.

So one could imagine that having a high level of cardiorespiratory fitness, would mean that the body is able to respond to increasing levels of stress with less and less catecholamine hormones, increasing catecholamine sensitivity. This would also mean, following the general stress school of thought, in which the body perceives all stress, whether physical or psychological in nature, as the same, that those who are adapted to higher levels of fitness are also going to be better adapted to handle stress in other, psychological areas of their life.

This of course only works, so long as the overtraining doesn't occur, and I would also like to add hyperventilation, which is often seen in how most people train while exercising, due to mouth breathing for extended periods of time. However, with short bursts of high intensity, with strict nasal breathing, hyperventilation doesn't occur, and while it is immediately stressful, the body eventually adapts to that level of stress, given intelligent training, rest, nutrition, and recovery.

I think in individuals who are healthy enough to engage in such activities, there are possibilities for real benefits, so long as the body is positively adapting, so adequate rest and nutrition are required in between sessions. I want to theorize that this would increase the CO2 setpoint as well, but I'm not sure where to go to start investigating the mechanisms of such an effect =/

OP
D

Dr. C

What I can report of my experiments when doing even just a walk I can rise my CO2 levels to about 52 mmHg during the whole activity (when doing more intense sport it goes higher but I cannot tollerate this for a longer time)

I guess long walks is how one really can get more CO2 tollerance, but you would have to at best constantly continue with this activity.

As soon as I rest again and stop paying attention to my breathing, my normal pCO2 reappears as my breathing runs on autopilot.

ilikecats

@Dr. C have you experimented with breath holds? Bag breathing or staying in an enclosed space for an extended period of time? (Like a tent)

Also have you ever experimented with breathing CO2 from a tank? Say 8 percent CO2 a la Yandell Henderson? I’ve only done breath holds, bag breathing, and reduced breathing and I don’t have a capnometer so my knowledge of their effects are limited.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dr. C

I tried several Buteyko inspired breathing exercises. They are great for acute change in pCO2, especially in situation of asthma symptoms.

I even tried using them with emergency patients. With the support of a little morphine they worked as good as conventional treatment with beta-mimetics and theophylline in ending asthma attacks.

I don't see any value in breathing CO2 from a tank. There is data from submarines which have CO2 concentrations of up to 10,000 ppm after some days underwater. Most crew start hyperventilating when exposed to this much CO2. After about one month they become more CO2 tollerant and reduce their minute volume. This means one would have to do tank breathing for an equally long time to see results. This will be much more expensive than e.g. rising the CO2 by walking, but won't fit as good into lifes as walking a lot.

Runenight201

What will happen if CO2 levels in the body rise but hyperventilation is restricted (whether through drugs or force of will)?

OP
D

Dr. C

What will happen if CO2 levels in the body rise but hyperventilation is restricted (whether through drugs or force of will)?

You would panic if you are concious.

When you put people to general anaesthesia and administer a muscle relaxant, you can completly control their CO2 by setting tidal volume and frequency with the ventilator. If you do not suppress breathing with an opioid and administer only a narcotic like propofol or sevorane, as soon as the muscle relaxant wears of and people start breahting on their own again, they will increase their minute volume as much as needed to return to their original CO2 setpoint. By the way, the sicker people are, the lower their CO2 setpoint seems to be.

Even if you do controlled ventilaton on the ICU for several days, people seem to keep their CO2 setpoint when returning to spontanous ventilation and opioids have weared off.

Runenight201

In this case where you control the CO2 content of the blood through muscle relaxants while people are unconscious, wont this set off a metabolic response, as the acidity of the blood will increase, and the body, in an effort to maintain a ph of 7.35-7.45, have to respond appropriately?

Runenight201

Also, I just read Peats article on Protectice CO2 and aging, and he is of the opinion that living in low atmospheric pressure is likely to increase the level of carbon dioxide in the tissues

OP
D

Dr. C

In this case where you control the CO2 content of the blood through muscle relaxants while people are unconscious, wont this set off a metabolic response, as the acidity of the blood will increase, and the body, in an effort to maintain a ph of 7.35-7.45, have to respond appropriately?

Yes, it does. But raising the CO2 to e.g. 49 mmHg by controlled ventilation in anaestesia will only lead to a pH of about 7.33-7.36 in BGA. A little acidity like this is totally fine, especially if the high CO2 shifts a lot of oxygen in the cells. If the pH runs to low, I will correct it with e.g. a little of i.v. natriumhydrogencarbonate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals