Healthy Peaty Smokers - Would You Recommend Smoking To Non-smokers?

in case anyone is actually listening to people saying it's good for you.. please, don't be stupid

Herbie

In addition, like all other CNS stimulants, it raises energy expenditure and/or calories burned.
Likely a function of increased adrenaline and it's probably dose-dependent meaning the more you smoke the more calories you will expend.

Isn't this the same as anything which increases metabolism?

This makes cigarettes particularly nasty - I have heard of people continuing to smoke simply because it kept them slim and they did not want to gain weight if they ceased smoking. I've also met people who simply had to take a cigarette break in between classes or at work, it's such an emotional crutch it's kind of sad. Caffeine/coffee (even if it was an unhealthy stimulant), isn't used for stress relief unlike cigarettes.

If a person is hypothyroid and stops smoking, this can increase weight due to lowering of metabolism revealing the hypothyroid and if they replace it with binge eating weight gain is likely and are not aware of things like hypo thyroidism and other ways to increase metabolism. Its not the fault of tobacco but underlying issues the person has. Tobacco can help with concentration so if people use it during class or work it makes sense. I don't think its an emotional crutch, more likely to be a neural transmitter crutch. People do use coffee as a stress relief.

"Smoking cigarettes when vaping, e-cigs, patches, gum and liquid nicotine are available is just LOW IQ."

There are many other substances in tobacco which can be therapeutic and nicotine is only one of them so it doesn't make sense to isolate nicotine and only consume that. Vaping tobacco makes sense. I said it above, to compare: having pure caffeine instead of a coffee, a coffee having other therapeutic substances in it. Humans have been cultivating tobacco for 7000 years.

"When I see someone smoking cigarettes, I assume they're suicidal."

I think what your attempting to communicate is that how can people choose to smoke knowing the potential damage that the smoke is causing to their body's?

Herbie

in case anyone is actually listening to people saying it's good for you.. please, don't be stupid

That lady is smart she put that tube in her neck to smoke through to avoid the periodontal disease and throat cancer giving the tobacco a more direct route to the lungs.

Nokoni

People do lots of things for pleasure that entail some risk. Going to a movie, going dancing, even going for a Sunday drive, are all pleasures and are all more risky than staying at home and sitting on the couch. Smoking is also a pleasure, at least for some.

Smoking entails some risk also. But depending on the dose and genetics and life history, it is likely net beneficial for some while being net harmful for others. It seems reasonable to suppose that Michael J Fox would be leading a better life right now if he had been a smoker. Maybe for most people it actually is harmful, but I would bet it is way less harmful to most than PUFA. Or skydiving or many other things that are widely accepted as being non-insane things to do.

Let the ballroom dancers indulge their amusing rituals and let the smokers indulge theirs. In neither case does it cause any harm to others.

kyle

Have your doubts. As you should as a thinking, rational creature. It all comes down to CONTEXT, my friends.

Use your imagination - could something as widely seen as innocuous as coconut oil be 'good' for someone, could it also be 'bad'? Yes and yes. If all you ate was oil I think you would be in for a bad time.

Don't forget the old adage, the dose makes the poison!

kyle

All is vanity.

I offer some defense not of smoking but of so-called 'smokers'. To me they are just people- and some are lovely, admirable people living full lives or lived full, long lives.

Portraying them as anything but that as some of you are seems rude and mean spirited, no? We're all just trying to live how we can.

Consider the same people telling you smoking is the cause of so many ills are the same ones telling you pufa is healthy.

kyle

Imagine if commercials of sick people with cancer were warning us about soybean oil. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Broken man

If a person is hypothyroid and stops smoking, this can increase weight due to lowering of metabolism revealing the hypothyroid and if they replace it with binge eating weight gain is likely and are not aware of things like hypo thyroidism and other ways to increase metabolism. Its not the fault of tobacco but underlying issues the person has. Tobacco can help with concentration so if people use it during class or work it makes sense. I don't think its an emotional crutch, more likely to be a neural transmitter crutch. People do use coffee as a stress relief.

"Smoking cigarettes when vaping, e-cigs, patches, gum and liquid nicotine are available is just LOW IQ."

There are many other substances in tobacco which can be therapeutic and nicotine is only one of them so it doesn't make sense to isolate nicotine and only consume that. Vaping tobacco makes sense. I said it above, to compare: having pure caffeine instead of a coffee, a coffee having other therapeutic substances in it. Humans have been cultivating tobacco for 7000 years.

"When I see someone smoking cigarettes, I assume they're suicidal."

I think what your attempting to communicate is that how can people choose to smoke knowing the potential damage that the smoke is causing to their body's?
The problem is that tobacco base contains alot of chemicals that I dont know if it is safe......

Sheik

Since there's been some pro-smoking talk around the forums I wanted to know what Ray has said about it, so I gathered all the quotes I could find and made a page on the Wiki.
Tobacco and nicotine use - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

I'm aware of one or two other quotes from him but I couldn't find sources so I left them off.

revenant

That long thread on longecity.org is worth a read. Changed my mind on the subject back in the day, at least.

As someone who only smokes 1-2 cigarettes a day, I notice a big difference in commercial ready-made cigarettes (like Marlboro) compared to natural roll-your-own tobacco. The former has something in them that makes me cough, the latter seems to relieve cough. There's nothing quite as relaxing as smoking before going to sleep. Heavy smokers seem to get more energetic after smoking though.

Years into the future and I think tobacco will be seen as the next great medicine, kind of like cannabis is now. Funny how the mainstream is slowly accepting that smoking cannabis might be healthy, but everyone loses their mind if you suggest that smoking tobacco might be healthy too. You're inhaling smoke in both cases.

Waynish

Have you found a "best vape juice" yet? Lots of claims... They're so common and popular these days good to have one just to entertain in polite company.

Michael Mohn

I never smoked until my mid 40s, except a few times in my early tweens but I didn't liked it. Then I started nicotine gum 4mg twice a week after learning about Peat and researching on my own. The effects were massive, clarity of thought, emotional euphoria, less raising thoughts, but I forgot to take the gums unless I put an alarm in my phone, so nicotine is definitely not addictive. Then after a year a guy I made acquaintance with offered me a cigarette while we were talking, it was so good that afterwards I bought a pack of cigarettes and smoked ever since (with two breaks of over half a year, I just didn't craved them). I don't recommend smoking tobacco but I think stopping cold turkey isn't good either. Smoking helps with stress and raising metabolism should be the first step to smoking cessation. If you try gums take only Nicorette, all other brands have nasty sweeteners like aspartame, the other has only xylitol. Brush your teeth with sodium bicarbonate before hand as nicotine needs an alkaline milieu for absorption.

Michael Mohn

That long thread on longecity.org is worth a read. Changed my mind on the subject back in the day, at least.

As someone who only smokes 1-2 cigarettes a day, I notice a big difference in commercial ready-made cigarettes (like Marlboro) compared to natural roll-your-own tobacco. The former has something in them that makes me cough, the latter seems to relieve cough.

I made the exact same experience. Marlboros give me a nasty cough but JPS go down well.

GreekDemiGod

What about enjoying whisky and some Cuban cigars every now and then? It seems to be a hobby for many rich men.

Cigars-and-Whiskey.jpg

Michael Mohn

What about enjoying whisky and some Cuban cigars every now and then? It seems to be a hobby for many rich men.

Cigars-and-Whiskey.jpg
Time to get rich, I want to upgrade to cigars. Cigars (and pipe tobacco) have an acidic smoke and can't be inhaled like cigarettes, if I remember correctly.

Johhnyb

Cigars-and-Whiskey.jpg
This.

I like to describe myself as someone who, whenever is presented with a choice, will make an informed and good choice about my health - with one exception; cigars.

I know 100% that smoking cigars and enjoying whiskey is not conductive to being as healthy as I can be…but I like it.

Doing this is me time, I get to go and have some time where I’m not disturbed by the kids/work or anything else - I just enjoy a lovey whiskey and a fine cigar and get lost in my own thoughts.

As far as starting smoking for health reasons…don’t bother, but if it’s a guilty pleasure that you don’t abuse too often, fill your boots.

Michael Mohn

Of course it can
Inhaling cigar smoke makes me cough like hell. It doesn't have the same effect like cigarettes because nicotine needs an alkaline milieu for good absorption as mentioned before. Obviously you can get used to it but in general it is not adviced. Enjoy anyway.

Doc Sandoz

Quit smoking years ago, but I still relish the aroma of a freshly-lit cigarette.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom