Pomegranate Seeds- 300mg Of Vitamin E Per 100g!

Johnathan5544

Attachments

• ghjghj.PNG
    ghjghj.PNG
    15.6 KB · Views: 67

Dobbler

Yeah but how much PUFA are in those? They are seeds so im assuming alot. I dont see really any benefit if those 100g of seeds give you 20-40g of PUFA.
Pomegranate juice on the other hand is usually PUFA free and high in antioxidants.

OP
J

Johnathan5544

It has huge benefit. If the same amount of vitamin e is in the juice then that is good too. I will be buying some pomegranates from my local supermarket tomorrow. I actually bought one months ago but didnt know how to open it to eat it so just threw it out lol.

Tenacity

You don't need a lot of vitamin E if you are low in PUFA. It can help in estrogenic conditions. There probably isn't a practical source of vitamin E in nature separate from PUFA, because vitamin E's role is to prevent the PUFA from spoiling. High vitamin C fruits also have proportionally more PUFA than low vitamin C fruits, for similar reasons - to stop the PUFA oxidising.

OP
J

Johnathan5544

I'm sure it is fine the way it exists in nature though.

That last study showed red peppers have 1417mg vitamin e per 100g. Nutritiondata says 1.6mg per 100g, and shows only a small amount for pomegranates too. The studies are more reliable than nutritiondata so I will go with them. With the RDA only at 10mg sweet peppers aka capsicums in Australia provide an enormous amount, and make vitamin e supplements unnecessary.

nad

How you guys eat Guava, do you remove it's seeds, or they just come out undigested? They so hard like kernels.

OP
J

Johnathan5544

The study I posted
Determination of the total antioxidant activity of fruits and vegetables by a liposome assay.
has a typo. It should be mcg per 100g not mg per 100g so bell peppers really only have 1.4mg per 100g which is not much.

Looks like pomegranate seeds are the highest with 300mg per 100g.

I have never eaten guava. If I do I will try eat the seeds if they are soft enough if not will just chuck them in the garden, and hope it grows.

OP
J

Johnathan5544

I bought, and ate some pomegranates, and their arils today. The vitamin E is in the seeds, and the seeds only represent about 10% of the aril weight. The rest is red stuff around the seed. Arils are about 34% of the actual pomegranate weight. Sooo the vitamin E content of whole arils is only 30mg per 100g, and in a 550g pomegranate there is 187g of arils making for 56mg vitamin e per pomegranate which is still not bad but not the top source. Looks like annatto seeds with 160mg/100g are still the top source.
Pistachio nuts, sunflower seeds have 40mg per 100g. French cheese 90mg per 100g.

Here is a textbook on vitamin E

http://www.anme.com.mx/libros/Vitamin E - Food Chemistry, Composition, and Analysis.pdf

Try to think about, why would the plant make more vitamin E than is barely sufficient to protect the PUFA? The net benefit is less than zero in eating these foods.

Amazoniac

I don't know, temperature, part of the plant, function of the part, other antioxidants...
Do you think none of those have vitamin E to spare? To prepare it for a closed system when the seed is on its own, it might make sense to leave it with some extra vitamin E for the season depending on what it's expecting to encounter ahead (perhaps increasing vit E content is more guaranteed than unsaturating it), especially if it's protecting fragile parts as you say.

Last edited:

Shai Hulud

Do seeds from desert plants have relatively more Vitamin E? In the heat they should need more to avoid PUFA oxidation.

Dr. B

Worth noting the punicic acid in the PUFA content of pomegranate seed. It’s a CLA so a PPAR gamma activator boasting great anti-inflammatory potential and more... Health Benefits of Punicic Acid: A Review
good stuff, why does Ray say CLAis good if loaded with pufa in the body but cla has bad effects of its own

You don't need a lot of vitamin E if you are low in PUFA. It can help in estrogenic conditions. There probably isn't a practical source of vitamin E in nature separate from PUFA, because vitamin E's role is to prevent the PUFA from spoiling. High vitamin C fruits also have proportionally more PUFA than low vitamin C fruits, for similar reasons - to stop the PUFA oxidising.
vitamin C also helps prevent lipid peroxidation then? usually you hear vitamin E. so vitamin C also works?

PaRa

good stuff, why does Ray say CLAis good if loaded with pufa in the body but cla has bad effects of its own

vitamin C also helps prevent lipid peroxidation then? usually you hear vitamin E. so vitamin C also works?
IIRC its vit E that protects from lipid peroxidation but vitamin C helps recycle the vit E so it can be "used again"

Jam

I bought, and ate some pomegranates, and their arils today. The vitamin E is in the seeds, and the seeds only represent about 10% of the aril weight. The rest is red stuff around the seed. Arils are about 34% of the actual pomegranate weight. Sooo the vitamin E content of whole arils is only 30mg per 100g, and in a 550g pomegranate there is 187g of arils making for 56mg vitamin e per pomegranate which is still not bad but not the top source. Looks like annatto seeds with 160mg/100g are still the top source.
Pistachio nuts, sunflower seeds have 40mg per 100g. French cheese 90mg per 100g.
:wtf

Back
Top Bottom