Inclined Bed Therapy - Sleeping With The Head End Of The Bed Elevated

tankasnowgod

Does raising the bed beyond 5 degrees help with sleep apnea or insomnia?

There have been testimonials about the 5 degree angle being sufficient to help with sleep apnea. Why would you need a greater angle? Having said that, you may find a slightly higher angle to be more comfortable or beneficial for yourself. Although I can see slipping down to the bed being a bigger issue the further you raise the head of your bed.

Last edited:

nintendo1889

Is it recommended to sleep on your side with your bed inclined, as one normally would? I sleep on my right side to help my sleep apnea.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Is it recommended to sleep on your side with your bed inclined, as one normally would? I sleep on my right side to help my sleep apnea.
I sleep on my sides, stomach and back without any issues while inclined.

As Blossom said, change your position. This will aid circulation and digestion and speed up the movement of food through our intestines. It will also prevent pressure on skin and soft tissue, which can lead to pressure sores as we age. (same on flat beds)

raypeatclips

Going to give this a go tonight. I've no idea why everyone doesn't give this at least a trial run.

It has reasonable explanations why it works, great testimonials, safe (what's the worst that can happen, have a bad night's sleep?), Peat approved (TM), free, or at most very cheap. Just an absolute no brainer to me.

The only potential negative seems to be this :lol: She has accepted me bag breathing naked under 1000w of red lights, surely inclining the bed is normal compared to that?

The only downside is that I have another weird quirk to explain to the future wife.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

Does raising the bed beyond 5 degrees help with sleep apnea or insomnia?

Adding to this..... saw my co-worker friend today who is trying this out, and she mentioned that she had pretty regular insomnia, and she is finding it much easier to fall asleep since she inclined her bed.

Adding to this..... saw my co-worker friend today who is trying this out, and she mentioned that she had pretty regular insomnia, and she is finding it much easier to fall asleep since she inclined her bed.
Winning for free. Insomnia in a lot of cases is an awareness to the problems with habitual flat bed rest and yet they think it's themselves that have a problem and never think it could be the bed they sleep in.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The only potential negative seems to be this :lol: She has accepted me bag breathing naked under 1000w of red lights, surely inclining the bed is normal compared to that?
That's true love.
Winning for free.
I love that phrase. I think it's my new favorite!
Speaking of winning for free-my coworker sent me a text yesterday asking me to bring in some wooden blocks for her to incline her bed. I suppose my blathering on about IBT made an impression.

I've been thinking about trying IBT for a while but have not got around to it. Seeing this thread has reinspired me.

I have had a terrifying issue that has been happening 3 three or four times a year for the last few years where I go to sleep having eaten or drank too much fluid and I wake up in the middle of the night in a severe panic as I realize I can't breathe. Not as in feeling stuffy or congested, but rather as in I have something physically blocking my windpipe and I literally can not breathe. At that moment I am certain I am about to die and have to try to cough as hard as I can to try to clear the blockage. One time it took a few seconds and really didn't think I would make it. I realized that the fluid/food slurry was basically backing up my chest/throat while I was sleeping into my windpipe. Then the rest of the day I'd have sever pain from in my windpipe from the acidity. The easy way to prevent this has been to wait a few hours before eating or drinking too much before bed but sometimes I slip up. I am hoping IBT will help with preventing this.

My wife also invariably wakes up with a severely congested nose every morning and it's not allergies so I'm hoping IBT may help with that as well.

Let's see what happens.

Sounds like two cases of flat bed syndrome which will be eliminated on an incline within a few weeks, possibly a few days but as you rarely experience re-flux it is going to be some time before you realise it has helped. Your Wife's sinus problem should respond within a couple of days. Thank you for joining us. Andrew

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Insomnia in a lot of cases is an awareness to the problems with habitual flat bed rest and yet they think it's themselves that have a problem and never think it could be the bed they sleep in.
iu

nintendo1889

Same here. Although I find I'm sleeping on my stomach much less while inclined than when I used to sleep flat.

Stomach sleeping of any kind is bad for the back, imho. I have a cheap mattress which dips in the middle more when inclined, so I'm going to put a board under it.

My next hack is figuring out how to sleep on the bare floor inclined (which I do when my back hurts, and yes, I'm going to a chiropractor )

Stomach sleeping of any kind is bad for the back, imho. I have a cheap mattress which dips in the middle more when inclined, so I'm going to put a board under it.

My next hack is figuring out how to sleep on the bare floor inclined (which I do when my back hurts, and yes, I'm going to a chiropractor )
Get a new mattress! Not memory foam

raypeatclips

I've been thinking about trying IBT for a while but have not got around to it. Seeing this thread has reinspired me.

I have had a terrifying issue that has been happening 3 three or four times a year for the last few years where I go to sleep having eaten or drank too much fluid and I wake up in the middle of the night in a severe panic as I realize I can't breathe. Not as in feeling stuffy or congested, but rather as in I have something physically blocking my windpipe and I literally can not breathe. At that moment I am certain I am about to die and have to try to cough as hard as I can to try to clear the blockage. One time it took a few seconds and really didn't think I would make it. I realized that the fluid/food slurry was basically backing up my chest/throat while I was sleeping into my windpipe. Then the rest of the day I'd have sever pain from in my windpipe from the acidity. The easy way to prevent this has been to wait a few hours before eating or drinking too much before bed but sometimes I slip up. I am hoping IBT will help with preventing this.

My wife also invariably wakes up with a severely congested nose every morning and it's not allergies so I'm hoping IBT may help with that as well.

Let's see what happens.

I used to have that exact issue too, more than once waking up thinking this was the end.

Are you eating any irritating foods? My issue used to be at a time when I ate pizza fairly regularly, drank beer, pretty much eating SAD. I do think IBT would definitely prevent it happening though and would help, although maybe not addressing the route cause.

raypeatclips

Raised my bed 6 inches last night, found it hard to get to sleep. Woke up and my lower back was very painful, I sleep on my side. I had the day off so went for a nap in the afternoon, and as soon as I lay down again, my back was in agony. I took away the blocks to make my bed normal height again, and laid down with no back issues at all, and had a restful sleep. Anyone else get back pain from this?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Raised my bed 6 inches last night, found it hard to get to sleep. Woke up and my lower back was very painful, I sleep on my side. I had the day off so went for a nap in the afternoon, and as soon as I lay down again, my back was in agony. I took away the blocks to make my bed normal height again, and laid down with no back issues at all, and had a restful sleep. Anyone else get back pain from this?
Too much too fast. 3 inches max for a few weeks to get use to it then think about moving up. I went from 3 inches to 7 inches and it was a big change. Now its nothing and I am thinking of going a bit more. Some people go an inch at a time.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals