Progesterone And Magnesium

A. squamosa

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what the relationship between progesterone and magnesium is? Does a sudden increase in progesterone cause the body to use a lot more magnesium, for instance?
What about other hard to get minerals, like selenium?

Just interested because of the effect progesterone seems to have on my bile production.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what the relationship between progesterone and magnesium is? Does a sudden increase in progesterone cause the body to use a lot more magnesium, for instance?

Just interested because of the effect progesterone seems to have on my bile production.

Thanks!

In my experience, things that decrease estrogen tend to increase my magnesium needs. I get dizzy spells especially with Progesterone, Vitamin E and Aspirin. They go away with plenty of Magnesium. I'm experimenting with other methods to lower the dizziness, but for now Magnesium seems to be pretty consistently good.

I'd love to here other people's experiences because I've heard other people tell similar tales.

HDD

Peat has said that thyroid makes your cells take up magnesium. Maybe progesterone is increasing thyroid function?

Tenacity

I don't know a lot about this topic, but I did read Peat say that both progesterone and magnesium can help tone up smooth muscle in the veins. That's likely a clue to their relationship and function.

Dave Clark

Hey everyone,

Thanks!
What effect does it have on your bile production, low or high ?

OP
A. squamosa

A. squamosa

Lowers it, a lot - I've tested it multiple times and it's definitely the progesterone - if I stop taking it for a month and binge on a lot of seafood, bile production apparently recovers. Not sure if it's a direct effect of progesterone (which doesn't make sense to me), or a knock on effect of progesterone's demands on the body/progesterone highlighting other issues with the body. It's also not a gallbladder problem, as I had my gallbladder checked.
Trying to figure out ways around it, because I am very estrogen heavy. Trying to eat a lot of seafood (oysters, prawns, mussels, small white fish), trying hard to get enough protein in daily (it's difficult!) and as of now, trying to dose with magnesium (at least via epsom salt baths, and more oj). We'll see how the addition of Epsom salt baths go!

sunraiser

I find that progesterone type symptoms (sociability and facial charisma/expression) for me are tied to having proper calcium metabolism.

A pure guess would be that progesterone is lowered by the body when we aren't properly uptaking calcium so as to make sure magnesium isn't properly utilised (as this would further imbalance your calcium levels).

You mention trying to "get enough" protein - everyone is different but my personal experience is that stuffing protein down arbitrarily is one of the worst things you can do to your body.

The amount of protein you need in a given day at a given transient metabolic snapshot is exactly the amount you crave and enjoy (in my humble opinion).

Frankdee20

What sort of dosing protocol do you follow when you use these forms of Magnesium?

I’d say start low, 100-200 per meal. Some people can’t tolerate Magnesium orally. I have an iron stomach.

How many times a day do you dose it? I've done glycinate but it seems I need to dose pretty frequently to get good magnesium saturation. Also, which one do you prefer, carbonate or glycinate? I've yet to try carbonate

Frankdee20

How many times a day do you dose it? I've done glycinate but it seems I need to dose pretty frequently to get good magnesium saturation. Also, which one do you prefer, carbonate or glycinate? I've yet to try carbonate

Glycinate is such a big molecule that you’ll need 4 caps a day. Carbonate is the same. Try the chloride liquid form

managing

One really needs to supplement the carbonate or Glycinate
I feel like I've posted this everywhere lately. So broken records apologies:

1/8t of Mg carbonate + 1T of apple cider vinegar. Allow 5 min to react completely. Take right before bed. Has been magic for me.

OP
A. squamosa

A. squamosa

Well to anyone that's interested, I am fairly certain it was a magnesium deficiency being exacerbated by progesterone. I had an epsom salt bath and after that, the symptoms were alleviated. I also stopped taking the progesterone after the bath, however previously when I have stopped taking it the symptoms have remained.
So if you, like me, appear to have bile insufficiency issues (for me this presented as loose, pale stools, with no gall-bladder problems) that are particularly apparent during progesterone supplementation, try upping your magnesium!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals