Rice Is A 5AR Inhibitor

X3CyO

Aye don't be so down on yourself! You guys got Theanine, caffiene and ginseng.

Rice is a pretty great carb for me personally if I boil it down to a slurry. Still prefer potatoes though.
I've read a few articles in that the 5ar issues are in brown rice and not white.

Sorghum tastes good. It's kinda sweet. Used to eat a lot of it back when I was obsessed with anabolicmen and they were kinda small.

OP
japanesedude

japanesedude

Im just realistic.
I wish white rice has no bad effects for 5AR.
Green tea has Theanine. but it also contain catechins which inhibit 5AR.

I am actually thinking that to eat sorghum as breakfast or lunch.

Drareg

I think the 5AR effects could be from the husk,outer layer.
Somebody mentioned on here before it could be the PUFA in the outer layer causing 5AR effects.
Possibly the reason why Peat only recommends white rice? Obviously less endotoxin also.

The real worry with white rice is the arsenic levels,what gets reported with American rice shows its an issue,we should be more worried about certain Asian countries that will suppress the results of arsenic levels in the rice.

Some bacteria are also using arsenic as energy I think so you could be encouraging the bacteria ,possibly,

JoeKool

To add my .02, I find white rice to mess me up now, having PFS ... I try to avoid it ... and I read it was white that did 5ar blocking, whereas brown was ok but I hear opposite sides so have to avoid altogether

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Aye don't be so down on yourself! You guys got Theanine, caffiene and ginseng.

Rice is a pretty great carb for me personally if I boil it down to a slurry. Still prefer potatoes though.
I've read a few articles in that the 5ar issues are in brown rice and not white.

Sorghum tastes good. It's kinda sweet. Used to eat a lot of it back when I was obsessed with anabolicmen and they were kinda small.

I saw you mentioend that the 5 alpha reductase effects were only apparent in brown rice, and not white rice... WHere did you see that study? Highly interested.

lvysaur

why East Asians have feminine appearance and can not grow beards

Are you actually Japanese, or are you a white guy?

I've never perceived Asians to be more feminine. Wider jaws, darker pigment, high canthal tilt, smaller eyes, flatter butts, higher spatial IQ, among others are some of the many masculine features of Asians (in comparison to whites).

With regards to facial hair, I and many others on this forum agree from experience that thick beards and body hair are not indicators of masculinity, but stress and estrogen. Peat himself has said something to this effect before.

I would avoid raw soy (edamame, soymilk, etc.), but I often use miso paste and soy sauce without any perceived problems. The hair thing is genetic, southern Asians (Cambodians, Thai etc.) have noticeably more body hair than northerners, despite eating lots of rice. Indians are in the top tiers of hairiness and eat similar amounts of rice.

Last edited:

Kayo

Does brown rice count too? Are all different kinds of rice including white rice bad then?

Wolf

Was there ever any followup on This?

I think the study only used brown rice.

O. sativa
bran crude extract gave the highest content of unsaturated fatty acids and 5α-reductase (type 1) inhibition activity (5AR). Its linoleic acid (LN) and total unsaturated fatty acid (TUC) contents were significantly positive and linear correlated to 5AR.

As we know white rice is the popularly used form of rice. When the rice bran is removed, and the rice is polished, we end up with white rice.

Can someone confirm my assumptions that white rice should be safe?

@KiNGTyreZe it looks to me that the 5ar risk mainly lies in the PUFA content of the rice, the PUFA is all basically in the bran, rice with some bran left on = brown, rice with no bran = white, polished 5ar effect should not be noticeable unless you are eating many cups a day.

Vinero

I bet if asians drink more coffee which is a 5-AR enhancer they will soon all grow thick viking beards and hairy chests.

@KiNGTyreZe it looks to me that the 5ar risk mainly lies in the PUFA content of the rice, the PUFA is all basically in the bran, rice with some bran left on = brown, rice with no bran = white, polished 5ar effect should not be noticeable unless you are eating many cups a day.

Yeah white rice seems completely healthy.

Aymen

it's the brown rice that is bad for DHT not white rice , it's the bran in brown rice that contains linoleic acid .
5α-Reductase type 1 inhibition of Oryza sativa bran extract prepared by supercritical carbon dioxide fluid - ScienceDirect
"O. sativa bran crude extract gave the highest content of unsaturated fatty acids and 5α-reductase (type 1) inhibition activity (5AR). Its linoleic acid (LN) and total unsaturated fatty acid (TUC) contents were significantly positive and linear correlated to 5AR. Its total phenolic contents and all biological activities also showed positive correlations to 5AR. The study concluded – O. sativa bran crude extract prepared by scCO2 to be developed as anti-androgenic alopecia products."

Kayo

it's the brown rice that is bad for DHT not white rice , it's the bran in brown rice that contains linoleic acid .
5α-Reductase type 1 inhibition of Oryza sativa bran extract prepared by supercritical carbon dioxide fluid - ScienceDirect
"O. sativa bran crude extract gave the highest content of unsaturated fatty acids and 5α-reductase (type 1) inhibition activity (5AR). Its linoleic acid (LN) and total unsaturated fatty acid (TUC) contents were significantly positive and linear correlated to 5AR. Its total phenolic contents and all biological activities also showed positive correlations to 5AR. The study concluded – O. sativa bran crude extract prepared by scCO2 to be developed as anti-androgenic alopecia products."
So white rice doesn’t affect 5AR or DHT? I’ve been eating it almost everyday.

postman

I think the study only used brown rice.

O. sativa
bran crude extract gave the highest content of unsaturated fatty acids and 5α-reductase (type 1) inhibition activity (5AR). Its linoleic acid (LN) and total unsaturated fatty acid (TUC) contents were significantly positive and linear correlated to 5AR.

As we know white rice is the popularly used form of rice. When the rice bran is removed, and the rice is polished, we end up with white rice.

Can someone confirm my assumptions that white rice should be safe?

It seems very unlikely that the 5AR inhibition would be because of the linoleic acid. Brown rice does contain PUFAs but it is by no means some kind of PUFA bomb, there are many other common foods that would be worse for DHT if it was all down to the linoleic acid. As an example even just a single egg has more linoleic acid than a whole cup of brown rice. Corn also has more linoleic acid. Actually most foods have more linoleic acid than brown rice. It must tbe something else in the brown rice bran that powerfully inhibits 5AR, any ideas?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals