GOD BLESS RAY PEAT

danielbb

Actually, here there are more and more enriched food like in America and the flour is too.
The difference is that you can still find some healthy options without ruining yourself unlike America.

In France and Italy people eat lots of bread, pizza, pasta and crêpe. I dont think the bakeries and supermarkets use iron free floor to do their bread and pastries.

And when I see the lack of energy and the crazy way people are acting here I definitely think there is something with the food.
@Lolinaa - Lolina seems like a nice Italian name. Are you living in Italy? If so, is it true that people in Italy are generally lean?

jet9

My temps are increasing, pimples are gone, hair loss/tingle is is really starting to stabilize, and I am feeling good and motivated in general.

Liver and oysters are absolute ******* superfoods! DO NOT discriminate against them, especially if your only excuse is their palatability!

I'm definitely an advocate of gelatin, SALT, casein protein, ice cream, and milk as they have all been very healing to me.

----

I spoke to a girl today who is undertaking her Masters in nutrition, and she was telling me all about her zero-red meat diet (bcauze red meet cause hart disezze...). She spoke about her nutrient filled breakfast smoothie containing flax seeds and raw kale. She told me that humans should be eating more probiotic foods and raw salads (I just though to myself in my head... "poison" :vomit:). Finally, when I asked her about PUFAs and how her diet impacts her hormones, she was absolutely clueless. Remember, this is a girl studying a MASTERS in nutrition.

Just wanted to give a big shoutout to Pay Reat :P, Danny Roddy, Nathan Hatch, and @haidut for putting quality information out there for the people who are truly motivated to heal. It is really a blessing that these men use a non-authoritarian manner these to teach - unlike the liberal indoctrination that universities use today.

Could you provide samples of your diet
(What foods you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner)
And what supplements you take?

DDK

I’ve seen other suggestions that the difference between European flours is the Lack of iron fortification.

From memory France and Italy do not fortify with Iron, but the US and UK do (industrial by-product iron as well). I’m sure there’s posts on it here.

This was already covered. Organic flours in the US are not fortified. Bob's Red Mill and Hodgson Mill are both US flours with the only ingredients being "Wheat" and still I know people who have problems with these 2 flours but can tolerate European flours just fine.

tara

The sweet potatoes because of the carotene I don’t eat it anymore. Maybe if I find the white one I will eat it again.
I have to limit the coloured sweet potatoes too - but some for variety and flavour seems OK for me now. I like the white ones too.

j_corvin

Hi,

I’ve not posted since initially joining the forum. I guess it’s time I gave a little back! I’ve had some great results which really should be the subject of another thread. I just wanted to chime in with my experience on wheat:

I’m from the UK, and yes, we enrich our flour like the USA. Enrichment is mandatory, and the law states “Four vitamins and minerals must be added to all white and brown flour, but not wholemeal”.

(The vitamins and minerals are: Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin)

This means that even organic flour is enriched if it’s plain white flour and not brown/wholemeal/rye etc.

I first became interested in enrichment and other “junk” ingredients in wheat when I noticed that pasta NEVER gives me digestive issues. I mean, it might not fit with a Peat diet, and it might not be great for you, but for me, it digests perfectly.

Store bought bread on the other hand causes bloating, occasional cramps and constipation, and as I’ve become better at analysing how I react to food, I’ve also noticed it gives me darker circles under the eyes and “weak feeling” gums if I eat too much.

The thing about the UK is that ALL of the pasta we eat is imported from Italy. I don’t know that for a fact, but I’ve never, ever seen pasta in a supermarket that originated from elsewhere. Therefore the ingredients are “Durum wheat” and nothing else. No enrichment. No junk.

So I did a little research and decided to try making bread with white French flour, as they’re pretty serious about bread and have laws in place concerning purity of bread products. Being next door to the UK it's also pretty fast and cheap-ish to get hold of.

To cut a long story short, I bought some French T55 flour and use a bread maker to make several small loaves a week. I even use French yeast, as the UK supermarket stuff is also full of junk.

The Loaf: flour, water, yeast.

That’s it.

Although I often use sugar, milk, butter in there too. Certain consistencies last longer etc. etc.

It digests perfectly and tastes amazing with butter. Occasionally I even have sandwiches and it’s a revelation…

I’m certainly not a baker. I just throw the ingredients in there and come back after a few hours. The loaf comes out perfect every time.

As an aside, you can Google the ins and outs of French vs US and UK flour, but in general, I believe the main difference is a lack of protein, so the bread absorbs less water and goes stale quicker. Less gluten etc… As I say, I’m not a baker, I’m just experimenting with digestion. You won't find GM wheat in the UK or Europe either, and I believe European Union pesticide regulations are tighter as well...

I’m moving onto Einkorn next…

Last edited:

j_corvin

Oh, also, for anyone interested:

“Bread” to most people in the UK is a large, perfectly rectangular, pre-sliced loaf. It will sometimes be used for toast (breakfast) and more frequently sandwiches at lunch (most of the working population that isn’t on a fad diet). A typical ingredient list looks like this:

Ingredients: Wheat Flour (Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Water, Salt, Rice Flour, Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid), Rapeseed Oil, Non Declarable Processing Aid (Enzymes) Emulsifier (Mono- and Di-Acetyltartaric Esters of Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids)

More rustic looking loaves won't be as bad, but will still have enriched flour...

If we aren't eating bread for breakfast (toast) it will be fortified breakfast cereal....Yet more iron.

Last edited:

Lolinaa

@Lolinaa - Lolina seems like a nice Italian name. Are you living in Italy? If so, is it true that people in Italy are generally lean?

Hi Daniel, no I am not Italian. I live in France actually. There are a lot of Italians here. I was talking about Europeans outside the UK.

Yes they are leaner than people in the UK and US and tend to be smaller in height too.
I love the UK, London personally, I find people nice and helpful and funny. Just the right dosage of politeness and friendliness. The men are gentlemen too. I always feel great there.

People are changing though due to our fast and stressful life.

A. squamosa

Seeing as this is just a regular Ray Peat love-in I'll chime in with a fun discovery too - sitting in the hot sun for a solid few hours really revs up my metabolism, but makes me sleepy at the same time - I tried bag breathing (found I was automatically gasping for deep breaths of air occasionally) and voila, tiredness gone, temps still nice and high, able to stay in the sun. So, if you get sleepy in the sun, up your CO2! You'll feel pretty perfect afterwards.

haidut

Forum Supporter
My temps are increasing, pimples are gone, hair loss/tingle is is really starting to stabilize, and I am feeling good and motivated in general.

Liver and oysters are absolute ******* superfoods! DO NOT discriminate against them, especially if your only excuse is their palatability!

I'm definitely an advocate of gelatin, SALT, casein protein, ice cream, and milk as they have all been very healing to me.

----

I spoke to a girl today who is undertaking her Masters in nutrition, and she was telling me all about her zero-red meat diet (bcauze red meet cause hart disezze...). She spoke about her nutrient filled breakfast smoothie containing flax seeds and raw kale. She told me that humans should be eating more probiotic foods and raw salads (I just though to myself in my head... "poison" :vomit:). Finally, when I asked her about PUFAs and how her diet impacts her hormones, she was absolutely clueless. Remember, this is a girl studying a MASTERS in nutrition.

Just wanted to give a big shoutout to Pay Reat :P, Danny Roddy, Nathan Hatch, and @haidut for putting quality information out there for the people who are truly motivated to heal. It is really a blessing that these men use a non-authoritarian manner these to teach - unlike the liberal indoctrination that universities use today.

Thanks, much appreciated! Glad the information is helping people improve their lives. Maybe one day this nutritionist friend of yours will dare to try oysters/liver too?? It will probably be like a religious experience for her after all this flax and kale:):

accelerator

----

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Were pimples a chronic thing for you, or just occasional?

accelerator

This is my first post and I agree with these things. Ray Peat is a genius imho. He is old school and basic and that is what works best for me as I've tested his theories and they work very well for me. I discovered him by accident. I discovered that a Coke before bed had magical hormonal benefits for me. I've since switched to Mexican Coke but I never go to bed without drinking a bottle of Mexican Coke. The accident part of the discovery was that I knew I had stumbled on to something (before I had ever heard of Ray Peat) because I felt so good but wanted to research things because I had been told my whole life that sugar was bad for you. That is how I found Ray Peat because he is about the only guy who says that sugar can be a good thing. I am not talking about eating sugar all day long but using it strategically.

Here is my typical day:
Greek Yogurt with some fruit, orange juice, and a glass of milk for breakfast. Drink about 8 cups of milk throughout the day and usually drink another glass of OJ when I get home. Also, use about a gram of Bayer Aspirin per day (e.g., about 3 tablets).

Lunch - a raw carrot and some milk, gelatin, and sometimes some meat or cheese and fruit.

Dinner - found 80/20 hamburgers work the best for my hormones but some type of meat and white mashed potatoes.

Snacks - make my own zucchini flour (from dried zucchini chips) and use that to make zucchini chocolate chip cookies (use Enjoy Life brand chips as they do not contain soy) and zucchini flour carrot cake. Also make my own homemade ice cream as almost all store-bought ice cream contains carrageenan.

Mexican Coke without fail before bed and sometimes with a tablespoon of honey.

Once per week eat liver and/or oysters. Learned these foods from Ray and they are indeed super foods. Also have increased my salt intake and it has helped me increase my body temperature.

Never ever eat:
PUFA except for the residual amounts found in milk-products and meat. Macadamia nuts are the only type of nuts I eat.
Starch - as in flour. The only exception is well-cooked white or sweet potatoes and occasionally white rice. Mostly stick to white mashed potatoes because of the hormonal benefits I've noticed with them.
Legumes.
High Fructose Corn syrup.
Carrageenan.
Raw Vegetables other than carrots and onions.

I've found there are no free lunches out there for losing weight. Ray's diet advice is no doubt a metabolism booster but you cannot eat an unlimited amount and still expect to lose weight. I found that vegan diets, keto, Adkins, Paleo, etc. and so forth will screw-up your thyroid hormone over time. Old school works the absolute best. I learned about Gilbert Ling through Ray and I've begun to read his writings. Gilbert is 98 years old. If people think Ray's writings are somewhat technical and complicated to follow, Gilbert Ling takes it to another level. There is scientific fraud all over out there (due to modern marketing and industrial campaigns) and Gilbert Ling is proof of that. Sorry for the long-winded post but I love the community here. God bless Ray Peat indeed as I've proven to myself his ideas work exceedingly well.

Thanks so much for sharing!

How much weight did you lose and how long did it take?

What are your macros and calories, btw?

Hugh Johnson

----

I find that the people with master's degrees tend to be highly authoritarian and defensive of their obviously incorrect views. I consider a higher education to be something that makes less intelligent at this point. Yes, I do have a degree.

managing

I find that the people with master's degrees tend to be highly authoritarian and defensive of their obviously incorrect views. I consider a higher education to be something that makes less intelligent at this point. Yes, I do have a degree.
I am not sure where this came from, but it needs nuance. I believe it enhances the persons tendencies in this regard. There are those who achieve advanced degrees in order to climb over others (at least in their own mind) and feel the mandate to command. For sure. And there are those who get wiser and more humble because as they learn more and more they become increasingly aware of the relative ignorance of all, themselves included.

I feel the same way about police officers. I've never had a mild reaction to a police officer. Either ego trip bully or genuine public servant.

GreekDemiGod

What would be the reason for disappearance of pimples? The elimination of PUFA's maybe.:cigar:
Ever since adolescence, I've been having minor, chronic skin imperfections like milk redness / rosacea, mild acne and overall an oily face.
Even Carnivore / Keto didn't do much for it.
I'm curios how my skin will change due to peating.

Gone Peating

What would be the reason for disappearance of pimples? The elimination of PUFA's maybe.:cigar:
Ever since adolescence, I've been having minor, chronic skin imperfections like milk redness / rosacea, mild acne and overall an oily face.
Even Carnivore / Keto didn't do much for it.
I'm curios how my skin will change due to peating.

A girl told me I have perfect skin the other day

Peat style diet, getting some sun a couple days a week as well as only washing the face once a week works perfect in my experience