Help! Melatonin Induced Sexual Dysfunction And More

m3life

Hello,

I’m a 20 year old male and I wanted to share my negative experience with chronic melatonin use. I’ve had sleep issues since i was a child (sleep paralysis). At the age of 15, i got prescribed melatonin to use every night in doses of 2-6 mg, which i took every night.

This was probably a mistake and i quit months ago. It may not be that well known, but I’ve read that the levels of melatonin drop naturally during puberty when sexual organs develop.
Upon further research i found that melatonin had been under development as a contraceptive and studies seem to suggest it may actually be anti-androgenic:

Melatonin - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects (four studies, 201-204)
Melatonin (low melatonin linked to larger genital size)

This all makes sense since after i started taking it i experiencing weaker erections (no problems before). My penis is still smaller during an erection and i’m worried that it’s permanent. My potential growth during puberty may also have been stunted and i feel really bad about it.

To make matters worse i’ve been dealing with chronic nausea (before melatonin), lethargy, depression and strong anxiety which has gotten more during the years. I suspect it’s from elevated CRH/CRF in the hypothalamus.

Melatonin increases CRH which leads to downregulation of StAR, 3β-HSD, 17β-HSD and probably 5-alpha reductase II enzymes. The cascade of hormones after CRH release may also be the cause of my chronic nausea and other symptoms (stress and bowel issues trigger it aswell).

Hormone checks revealed SHBG and prolactin over reference (68 nmol/L and 381 mU/L respectively). DHEA and LH was at bottom of the range and cortisol was high.

I want more people to know this side effect (especially younger males). Maybe someone can give advice on how to reverse it and recover?

Last edited:

fradon

Hello,

I’m a 20 year old male and I wanted to share my negative experience with chronic melatonin use. I’ve had sleep issues since i was a child (sleep paralysis). At the age of 15, i got prescribed melatonin to use every night in doses of 2-6 mg, which i took every night.

This was probably a mistake and i quit months ago. It may not be that well known, but I’ve read that the levels of melatonin drop naturally during puberty when sexual organs develop.
Upon further research i found that melatonin had been under development as a contraceptive and studies seem to suggest it may actually be anti-androgenic:

Melatonin - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects (four studies, 201-204)
Melatonin (low melatonin linked to larger genital size)

This all makes sense since after i started taking it i experiencing weaker erections (no problems before). My penis is still smaller during an erection and i’m worried that it’s permanent. My potential growth during puberty may also have been stunted and i feel really bad about it.

To make matters worse i’ve been dealing with chronic nausea (before melatonin), lethargy, depression and strong anxiety which has gotten more during the years. I suspect it’s from elevated CRH/CRF in the hypothalamus.

Melatonin increases CRH which leads to downregulation of StAR, 3β-HSD, 17β-HSD and probably 5-alpha reductase II enzymes. The cascade of hormones after CRH release may also be the cause of my chronic nausea and other symptoms (stress and bowel issues trigger it aswell).

Hormone checks revealed SHBG and prolactin over reference (68 nmol/L and 381 mU/L respectively). DHEA and LH was at bottom of the range and cortisol was high.

I want more people to know this side effect (especially younger males). Maybe someone can give advice on how to reverse it and recover?

RAISE DOPAMINE
33 Ways to Increase Dopamine to Boost Your Productivity

RAISE TESTOSTERONE...lift weight, eat more carbs as they lower SHBG increasing free T

KEEP BLOOD SUGAR STEADY...cortiosl lowers dopamine and testosterone so keep you blood sugar normal

Elephanto

Melatonin is also anti-estrogenic and found to be low in prostate cancer sufferers as well as having anti-cancer mechanisms. Inhibits nitric oxide (NO synthase and NO scavenging properties). A calcified pineal gland will hinder melatonin synthesis, while melatonin has been said to decalcify the pineal gland (only thing I mention here that isn't backed by pubmed studies).

It seems to be a fine balance and 2mg+ is definitely too high, not more than 500mg should be supplemented and I can attest to the anti-androgenic effect of high dose. Stress will generally inhibit melatonin production (which could point to a high stress lifestyle leading to prostate cancer in men, raising estrogen directly and indirectly from lack of melatonin) as well as blue lights. With the abundance of blue lights in modern lifestyle, I wonder if a strong correlation with prostate cancer will appear in the next decades.

Anyway, to answer your question: focusing on lowering serotonin and increasing dopamine should be most helpful considering your symptoms.

Wolf

I use it pretty regularly to help prevent hypersexuality. Other than that there are purity issues with practically every melatonin on the market. Only usp graded melatonin can be used or you're legit ingesting serotonin .

OP
M

m3life

RAISE DOPAMINE
33 Ways to Increase Dopamine to Boost Your Productivity

RAISE TESTOSTERONE...lift weight, eat more carbs as they lower SHBG increasing free T

KEEP BLOOD SUGAR STEADY...cortiosl lowers dopamine and testosterone so keep you blood sugar normal
Yes, it would probably be a good idea to increase dopamine. But lifstyle factors just dont cut it for me. I already eat a healthy diet with moderate fat (low PUFA), moderate protein, moderate-high carbs plus adequate vegetables and fruit. I dont smoke and rarly drink alcohol.

Melatonin is anti-dopaminergic and inhibits GnRH, which increase prolactin which in turn also reduces LH. (the reduction in LH has been confirmed in human studies).

OP
M

m3life

Melatonin is also anti-estrogenic and found to be low in prostate cancer sufferers as well as having anti-cancer mechanisms. Inhibits nitric oxide (NO synthase and NO scavenging properties). A calcified pineal gland will hinder melatonin synthesis, while melatonin has been said to decalcify the pineal gland (only thing I mention here that isn't backed by pubmed studies).

It seems to be a fine balance and 2mg+ is definitely too high, not more than 500mg should be supplemented and I can attest to the anti-androgenic effect of high dose. Stress will generally inhibit melatonin production (which could point to a high stress lifestyle leading to prostate cancer in men, raising estrogen directly and indirectly from lack of melatonin) as well as blue lights. With the abundance of blue lights in modern lifestyle, I wonder if a strong correlation with prostate cancer will appear in the next decades.

Anyway, to answer your question: focusing on lowering serotonin and increasing dopamine should be most helpful considering your symptoms.
Yes definitely too high dose. I got it from psychiatry where the "supervisor" told me i should try higher doses up to 16 mg! Not very good advice... I read that a normal human produces about 0.1 mg. The serotonergic antidepressants i’ve taken have probably contributed to my state aswell. Makes it really hard to trust anyone in psychiatry. Occasional benzos have been somewhat helpful and i would take them over melatonin to induce sleep.

I take vitamin b6 + magnesium every night and sometimes glycine. I’m thinking about other supplements at night like ornithine to help with sleep instead of melatonin: Randomised controlled trial of the effects of L-ornithine on stress markers and sleep quality in healthy workers. Also d aspartic acid (because it seems to work somewhat opposite of melatonin to increase LH and maybe upregulate the enzymes i mentioned, but im not sure it’s potent enough and it may disrupt sleep. Any experiences with those or are there similar androgenic substances to restore my hormones?

I know there are some benefits to melatonin like you mentioned and antioxidant properties but it’s not worth it for me, it destroyed my erections and i have not recovered. Seems to stunt sexual development in puberty, which is why i would never recommend it to people under 20 years. Do you think if my growth was stunted, that i would still grow the size intended by my genetics after puberty?

A bit off topic but i also have ADHD-PI and hypersomnia so i want to take some kind of stimulant in the morning. I tried lisdexamphetamine which is the only medication that helped my depression/cognition, but the side effects made it hard to take during longer periods (increased nausea, reduced appetite and more tension). I also read that it may reduce androgenic enzymes and GH with chronic use. Selegeline which seems to be mostly dopaminergic may be more tolerable. Also Pitolisant may be an option.

Finally I think that Tianeptine migh be the best solution for me because it is indicated not only for ADHD, anxiety & depression but also for bowel diseases and it lowers CRF in the hypothalamus: Effect of chronic treatment with the antidepressant tianeptine on the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis. - PubMed - NCBI But it’s not available in my country and will likely take a long time to get prescribed. I think all of these medications may have a positive infuence on my hormones. But it’s not easy to find the right doctor who is willing to try different approaches where i live.

Last edited:

Elephanto

@ma3wa

B6 at night has increased prolactin in a study, maybe it's hindering your recovery. You need light to activate dopamine so B6 should be taken during the day. I think Magnesium should be sufficient to calm the mind for sleep, provided it's not in citrate form which could irritate the gut and keep you awake. Glycine will help too. BTW I wasn't advicing taking melatonin as a supplement but that it shouldn't be minimized, and that working on the core issues leading to reduced natural production of melatonin will bring plenty of benefits.

Growth, I don't know. Some people have noticed I grew at like 27, kind of weird. That was after 2 months of doing Intermittent Fasting (raises growth hormone but that's not the reason why I do it) and avoiding dairy, sugar and fatty foods, all this leading to noticeably higher testosterone levels.

Safe androgenic substances : Ginseng, royal jelly, ginger, saffron, DHEA, pregnenolone, Zinc, Copper, Selenium, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, B1, B5, B6, Biotin, Vit D, K2, Betaine, Olive Oil (1-2 teaspoons). Doing sprints and lifting (especially squats and shoulder work). Plenty of carbs. Restricting tryptophan, wearing blue-blocking glasses when starring at screens. Avoiding dioxins and phtalates, easiest way is a vegan diet of white rice, legumes and veggies since all meats, dairy, eggs contain them but the occasional red meat might have a beneficial effect because of its Carnitine content. Also avoiding Omega 6s, Canola Oil, Sugar, Hops (Beer), Alcohol, Cannabis, Soy, Stevia, Brown Rice, Sesame seeds, Lycopene (Tomato), ejaculation, plastic, chemical soaps/shampoos (wash with bicarbonate sodium), heat to testicles (tight pants and underwears), chlorine-heavy pools. I don't remember what but I had found something negative about Aspartic Acid, I'll make sure to reply if I remember.

Last edited:
OP
M

m3life

@Elephanto

Thank you for your in depth reply. The reason im taking b6 with mag. is because the capsules contain both for increased absorbation. I also read pyridoxine stimulated 5ar. But it seems conflicting in increasing seratonin, dopamine and prolactin so maybe im better off skipping them and go for pure magnesiumglycinate.

Speaking of 5ar, glycine and other supplements that increase/upregulate it, i find it confusing since i dont know which isoenzyme its affecting (im interested in type 2 since its expressed in genitals, i also read type 1 can have the opposite effect on androgens) Can you clear this out?

Im thinking similar as you when it comes to diet. Is there any particular reason for avoiding dairy? Ive tryed that for months and did not feel better (and was hard to adapt to). I eat alot off eggs also. Is there other ways to reduce tryptophan/serotonin besides diet restriction?

DHEA is probably the supplement that i would want to start with, since my tests showed low DHEA. Also read that when its higher, it signals the body to not produce CRH (which melatonin triggers). Therefore im thinking of taking 5-7 mg before bed. But it seems unclear if its legal in Sweden...
Agmatine seems to increase LH and promote well being, but it recently got banned to sell here (but not consume i think) Ornithine seems to reduce the cortisol to DHEA ratio. Is there any downsides to these supplements?

Lastly whats your thoughts on the medications i mentioned?

Elephanto

@Elephanto

Thank you for your in depth reply. The reason im taking b6 with mag. is because the capsules contain both for increased absorbation. I also read pyridoxine stimulated 5ar. But it seems conflicting in increasing seratonin, dopamine and prolactin so maybe im better off skipping them and go for pure magnesiumglycinate.

Speaking of 5ar, glycine and other supplements that increase/upregulate it, i find it confusing since i dont know which isoenzyme its affecting (im interested in type 2 since its expressed in genitals, i also read type 1 can have the opposite effect on androgens) Can you clear this out?

Im thinking similar as you when it comes to diet. Is there any particular reason for avoiding dairy? Ive tryed that for months and did not feel better (and was hard to adapt to). I eat alot off eggs also. Is there other ways to reduce tryptophan/serotonin besides diet restriction?

DHEA is probably the supplement that i would want to start with, since my tests showed low DHEA. Also read that when its higher, it signals the body to not produce CRH (which melatonin triggers). Therefore im thinking of taking 5-7 mg before bed. But it seems unclear if its legal in Sweden...
Agmatine seems to increase LH and promote well being, but it recently got banned to sell here (but not consume i think) Ornithine seems to reduce the cortisol to DHEA ratio. Is there any downsides to these supplements?

Lastly whats your thoughts on the medications i mentioned?

Glycine probably upregulates both, I don't know if it matters since the increased DHT will carry systemic effects. DHT isn't much beneficial unless you are deficient in it, it also triggers Estrogen Receptor-Alpha (the angiogenic, pro-cancer estrogen receptor). Testosterone with estrogen reduction (since it inhibits androgen receptors) is better.

Dairy : anti-androgenic dioxins, opioid effect, casein as an adhesive agent sticking to the gut layers.
Exposure to exogenous estrogen through intake of commercial milk produced from pregnant cows. - PubMed - NCBI
After the intake of cow milk, serum estrone (E1) and progesterone concentrations significantly increased, and serum luteinizing hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone and testosterone significantly decreased in men.

Tryptophan/Serotonin : Chelating Iron (2 teaspoons grounded coriander seeds daily) though avoiding very low levels is important for testosterone production, Phenylalanine, BCAA+Tyrosine, Lysine, any dopaminergic substance, salt, Ionizer, high CO2 (baking soda, bag breathing), avoiding gut irritants, incadescent lights at home, wearing blue-blocking glasses when starring at screens, Mag/Selenium/Zinc for calcium channel blockade to prevent EMF-induced serotonin elevation, avoiding darkness, reducing fructose intake, reducing ejaculation frequency (prolactin inhibiting dopamine).

You can buy DHEA on ebay, seems like a good dosage. Don't really know about Agmatine. Ornithine is a nitric oxide precursor and as such should be avoided for general health.

Last edited:

Elephanto

Maybe your high eggs intake contributes to your low testosterone. (btw I edited in some other serotonin factors if you've read my post before I did)

Eating chicken may lead to a smaller penis | NutritionFacts.org
the finding that egg consumption is significantly associated with levels of MEHP too, suggests that chickens themselves may be contaminated with phthalates and that food is not being contaminated just through packaging and processing.”
This is a type of phtalate (microplastic) that is highly anti-androgenic, plastic probably being one of the main causes of generational testosterone decline. I would also avoid eating fishes/shrimps which ingest microplastics from the oceans that are littered with them. Eggs were probably a pro-testosterone factor before but it isn't true anymore.

OP
M

m3life

@Elephanto

Do you think organic "KRAV labeled" eggs and dairy would be less contaminated? (i always buy those). I want to avoid daily consumtion off eggs now and try to reduce dairy. You inspire me to go on a vegan based daily diet with occasional meat. Legumes could replace chicken/eggs then. Can you recommend me any other specific foods? I want to have good sources of choline and calcium for example (to replace eggs/dairy). Are these good daily choises aswell: coconutmilk/oil, macadamia/brazil nuts, bananas, oats (oatmilk), chia seeds, buckwheat, sorghum, potatoes and avocados?

Ive already try to cut down on commercial products containing anti-androgens. For example i got a flouride free, calciumcarbonate toothpaste and avoid as much plastic as possible. I want to replace my showergel and deodorant with something else. Any tips?

Last edited:

Elephanto

@ma3wa
I have no way to know about the phthalates/dioxins in KRAV. Legumes should be soaked with bicarbonate sodium in water (in the refrigerator) for 24-48h before cooking them to reduce their anti-nutrients. Adzuki beans and lentils are the one I prefer based on digestibility and analysis of their properties. I eat mainly white basmati rice, bell peppers, green peas, carrots and the legumes I mentioned. Supplement of Sunflower Lecithin has been shown to increase testosterone and it is a source of choline. Calcium can be taken in supps as Carbonate or Oxide. Coconut Oil and Olive Oil are my main fats (around 15g daily). Nuts can be high in mycotoxins, Brazil is high in Omega 6s (good source of Selenium but you can take a supp), it's best to keep fat low. Coconut Milk is high in fodmaps which can cause gastric issues, bananas increase dampness per Traditional Chinese Medicine, not good for gut health. Oats have saponins which are gut-irritating and have a somewhat high amount of Nickel, a metalloestrogen that causes skin issues, their beta-glucans are potentially anti-androgenic too. Chia Seeds are a source of alpha-linolenic acid which has contradicting studies about (in some it increases prostate cancer risks, in theoretical ones it decreases). Potatoes, gut-irritating saponins. Avocado, anti-androgenic property but good for gut health once in a while (increases mucins production). Buckwheat and Sorghum, anti-thyroid properties. Keep it simple and go with the least allergenic foods as your staple (like white basmati rice).

Arrade

Maybe your high eggs intake contributes to your low testosterone. (btw I edited in some other serotonin factors if you've read my post before I did)

Eating chicken may lead to a smaller penis | NutritionFacts.org

This is a type of phtalate (microplastic) that is highly anti-androgenic, plastic probably being one of the main causes of generational testosterone decline. I would also avoid eating fishes/shrimps which ingest microplastics from the oceans that are littered with them. Eggs were probably a pro-testosterone factor before but it isn't true anymore.
tbh your diet sounds very restrictive, and I'd like to see your hormone panel

Arrade

Don't you want melatonin/serotonin at night to sleep? I haven't noticed any sides yet, I really like to use this to geta good nights sleep :/

Elephanto

Well I do eat a bit of fruits too but always considering them as a small dessert, not the main carbs source. Mainly orange, mango, raspberry and pineapple.

Where I live it's very costly to get hormones panel, but I go by how I feel. I give these advices because this diet and other habits have kickstarted testosterone dramatically : the development of masculine features, defined muscles and lack of fat, flat/hard pectorals (absence of fat there) and non-puffy nipples (usually the first signs I notice when estrogen is high), increased female attention, mental confidence and clarity, thick hair, excellent energy levels and glycogen storing capability that allows me to go several hours without eating with no sign of stress or hunger (which for some reason never worked for me when sucrose was my main source of carbs).

OP
M

m3life

I agree that it sounds restrictive too and it would be hard for me to commit to a diet like this because off the lack off variety. I would probably weigh the pros and cons against each other with every food, but the study about poultry (eggs and chicken) was a good find and i will try to exclude it completely to help me recover. Dairy may also be good to limit, but its hard to find a good tasting substitute and its convenient.

OP
M

m3life

Well I do eat a bit of fruits too but always considering them as a small dessert, not the main carbs source. Mainly orange, mango, raspberry and pineapple.

Where I live it's very costly to get hormones panel, but I go by how I feel. I give these advices because this diet and other habits have kickstarted testosterone dramatically : the development of masculine features, defined muscles and lack of fat, flat/hard pectorals (absence of fat there) and non-puffy nipples (usually the first signs I notice when estrogen is high), increased female attention, mental confidence and clarity, thick hair, excellent energy levels and glycogen storing capability that allows me to go several hours without eating with no sign of stress or hunger (which for some reason never worked for me when sucrose was my main source of carbs).
If you would look at me you would probably not have guessed my hormanal panel and problems, althought i look quite worn out and tired. Im 6.13 ft tall and i have defined male characteristics. Im lean but have never been able to gain muscle mass.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals