The Travis Corner

raypeatclips

I make 'zucchini noodles' with a julienne shredder and like eating salads with chopstix. I cut all my vegetables in long strands, and my salads have visual properties approximating spaghetti. For the next few days it is: zucchini noodles, roma tomatoes, homemade sauerkraut, and white candy onion. I also have broccoli I just eat plain since I don't think it goes well with salads.

I also have seven large Amish cantaloupes, 1¹⁄₂ #coffee, and nearly one pound of ammonia-free tobacco. There is much local food around me right now that doesn't store well so I only keep about a few day's worth. Next few weeks should be better because the watermelons will be done growing and I will eventually drive further for pineapples, kale, and perhaps goat cheese

How many calories do you eat, just eating those vegetables?

Ras

Hey Travis, as per your recommendation I thought I'd let you know I've got my hands on some Cyclosporine. Currently being tested at my local university lab, but I'm confident it will pass quality control. Olive oil is my chosen carrier, with a 5% solution. A part of me was thinking starting low with a 2.5% solution but I'm not sure. As I don't have access to the entire papers where they used such a solution, I'm not sure how long to leave the solution on my scalp. A few hours? All night? In terms of application I was probably thinking every day or maybe 5 on 2 off. Would really appreciate some feedback.
LC Laboratories has its solubility as 200 mg/mL in ethanol and 100 mg/mL in DMSO. However, Sigma says it is soluble 10 mg/mL in ethanol and 50 mg/mL in DMSO. That Sigma document quotes a study that carried 100 mg CsA per mL in 90% olive oil, 10% ethanol, but it was used for an intramuscular injection. Selleck Chem corroborates LC Laboratories' 100 mg/mL in DMSO. This study says that MCTs work well, as does olive oil.

olive

Hey Travis, as per your recommendation I thought I'd let you know I've got my hands on some Cyclosporine. Currently being tested at my local university lab, but I'm confident it will pass quality control. Olive oil is my chosen carrier, with a 5% solution. A part of me was thinking starting low with a 2.5% solution but I'm not sure. As I don't have access to the entire papers where they used such a solution, I'm not sure how long to leave the solution on my scalp. A few hours? All night? In terms of application I was probably thinking every day or maybe 5 on 2 off. Would really appreciate some feedback.
It might be worth dermastamping the scalp prior to application to improve absorption.

Best of luck. It looks very promising, please keep us updated on your progress.

Hairfedup

LC Laboratories has its solubility as 200 mg/mL in ethanol and 100 mg/mL in DMSO. However, Sigma says it is soluble 10 mg/mL in ethanol and 50 mg/mL in DMSO. That Sigma document quotes a study that carried 100 mg CsA per mL in 90% olive oil, 10% ethanol, but it was used for an intramuscular injection. Selleck Chem corroborates LC Laboratories' 100 mg/mL in DMSO. This study says that MCTs work well, as does olive oil.

Thanks for the details, much appreciated. I think I will go for a straight olive oil+cyclo solution.

It might be worth dermastamping the scalp prior to application to improve absorption.

Best of luck. It looks very promising, please keep us updated on your progress.

Thank you! I will keep you all updated.

meatbag

@meatbag and Travis, in case you missed the following thread, it's a way of preparing them before they become mushy:
https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/pineapfel-sorbet.23950/
The low temperature of the paste should slow down the reactions.

Thought you guys may find this interesting, from Peat's article 'Meat physiology, stress, and degenerative physiology'

"But the deliberate aging of meat is subjecting it to a standardized stress--two or three weeks of cold storage. Because of the great generality of genetic processes, it wouldn't be surprising if cold storage of vegetables turned out to produce polyamine patterns similar to those of cold storage meats. Air pollution and other stressful growing conditions cause vegetables to have very high levels of polyamines."

Fractality

Regarding the antibody/folate/homogenized cow milk connection...Would this not apply to ice cream?

Philomath

I am fasting right now, and didn't consume anything at all yesterday besides: coffee, water, and (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate. Tonight I will buy more fruit & leaves after just two days of fasting—perhaps not long enough to officially induce autophagy yet I am thin and have a fast metabolism, so maybe.
I’m trying the three day fast as well. I’m sticking with coffee and coconut water. Quick question @Travis , when you fast, did you add anything to your coffee, specifically sweeteners or fats? I’ve been adding a tiny bit of xylitol but it’s largely unnoticeable.
Thanks?

Hairfedup

Both of the the case reports—and the small study—had used olive oil. This jives with studies on skin permeability, where oleic acid generally outperforms the rest. Since this is a cyclic peptide of 11 amino acids it's skin penetration is slow. A low permeability is also a notorious property of cyclosporine, and so much so that Stanford chemists try to improve this using covalent modifications to its' structure.

Cyclosporine is indisputable the most effect hair growth agent, and over 90% of people taking it for organ transplants report hypertrichosis. Hair growth is a very consistent 'side-effect' of cyclosporine, and so consistent that its' reliability would appear limited only to the extent it resists absorption. Since the studies that had shown essentially . . . complete reversals of alopecia had used olive oil, I think this should be the go-to solvent—especially since oleic acid's been shown 'most permeable' by others.

Never got to thank you for the kind information Travis. Appreciate it.

Travis

How many calories do you eat, just eating those vegetables?

I had actually typed in on the cronometer what I'd eaten on a particular day awhile back including the fruit—i.e. watermelon, cantaloupe, apple—and the vegetables. I had been somewhat surprised that I'd set a new record; everything had been over 100% RDA besides selenium, sodium, vitamin D, and vitamin B₁₂. Yet I don't particular care about those as there's reason to think they mean little. The selenium in plants is mostly protein-bound as selenoamino acids and thus not determined by USDA's flame spectroscopic methods; these are based on the water extraction phase. Selenium is the only 'mineral' in the protein phase, and thus the only one ignored.

Not much needs to be said about the RDA for sodium, practically impossible to achieve without eating mined rocks or evaporated seawater. This is unnatural, and 99% of land mammals never hit the sodium RDA their entire lives.

Vitamin D is not really a vitamin because it reliably made on the skin from sunlight a cholesterol—hardly found in food besides.

Vitamin B₁₂ is produced by bacteria in human intestines—destroyed by antibiotics.

The zucchini is obviously a very low calorie food, but that's not the point for eating them for me. The food energy I eat is in the watermelons and cantaloupes, the fruits that are very available and abundant right now. Cold watermelons are very good, and so are the uncommonly-sweet small cantaloupes the size of.. . well they're larger than softballs yet smaller than bowling balls.

Last edited:

Travis

Regarding the antibody/folate/homogenized cow milk connection...Would this not apply to ice cream?
Yes unfortunately. Yet it has been demonstrated that (6S)-methyltetrahydrofolate will displace anti-FRα antibodies from FRα, and also that folinic acid will bypass FRα altogether through the 'reduced folate carrier.' This means that even should anti-FRα antibodies be present, they can be effectively antagonized and circumvented. A person could write an article entitled Living With Real or Suspected anti-FRα Antibodies that would outline how to abolish their real or suspected effect. I don't think it's unreasonable at present to suppose that adequate brain folate could be achieved regardless of their presence given enough (6S)-methyltetrahydrofolate and folinic acid, available for sale and under a dollar per day.

Travis

I’m trying the three day fast as well. I’m sticking with coffee and coconut water. Quick question @Travis , when you fast, did you add anything to your coffee, specifically sweeteners or fats? I’ve been adding a tiny bit of xylitol but it’s largely unnoticeable.
Thanks?

How did the fast go? I must have got sidetracked a few weeks ago when you'd make that comment, but I am here now and I can attest to never adding anything to my coffee besides cinnamon bark in the brew stage. I had never really enjoyed sugar with coffee, yet did like coffee + honey in pathological concentrations. For some reason: I perceive just a little sugar or honey in coffee to ruin it, yet also perceive much higher amounts of honey be excellent and addictive. [Imagine one part honey to three parts coffee.] Yet since honey in the amounts I drink coffee is unsustainable—completely incompatible with health—I had to stop that after a few days have never started again.

Coffee hits me alot harder without food. Fasting with a few liters coffee per day of it can be brutal.

Suikerbuik

Hi Travis, do you eat most veggies raw? And for instance 'tougher' things like kale, how do you prepare those? Thank you for presenting your views and theories they're informative and almost one of a kind.

Travis

Which species of gut bacteria produces B₁₂?

Well, you know it's going to be methane-producing bacteria because cobalamin binds methyl groups and often releases it as methane.

Albert, M. J. "Vitamin B₁₂ synthesis by human small intestinal bacteria." Nature (1980)

According to Albert, the genera Pseudomonas and Klebsiella are responsible for endogenous vitamin B₁₂ production in humans. Pseudomonas methanica is a species of the former genus, and produces so much methane it was named for it. Many species of Klebsiella are also confirmed methane producers.

Travis

Hi Travis, do you eat most veggies raw? And for instance 'tougher' things like kale, how do you prepare those? Thank you for presenting your views and theories they're informative and almost one of a kind.
I eat all of them raw, and like to cut all vegetables into long strands and eat them with chopstix. I don't like forks, and I don't like those block-cut vegetables you see at most restaurants. Should a leaf be a bit too springly, it can be osmotically-wilted by a high concentration of salt beforehand. Consider the first stage in kimchi production: the cabbage is salted directly, and then wilts as it's cell walls burst from osmotic pressure. But also: steamed spinach and kale are not radical departures from the native state, no worse than salting really. The majority of vitamins remain unaffected by steaming, yet the food matrix thus modified food does have implications for the microbiota.

Jon

The most damaging cytokines appear to be gamma-interferon, interleukin-one, tumor necrosis factor alpha, and interleukin-six.

I have read that mk-4 stimulates the expression of interleukin-6. I understand it's necessary in the realization of the adaptation stimulated by mechanical stress of skeletal muscle, but is there a chance supplementing k2 could cause an issue with too much IL-6?

Travis

what do you think about the endotoxins from raw indigestible plants that you are eating, @Travis

As far as I can tell, all endotoxins derive from the cell wall of Gram-negative bacteria. For this reason, I had always assumed that raw vegetables wouldn't have any endotoxins or much propensity to promote their endogenous formation. I am aware that Gram-negative bacteria can reside in the intestines of mammals, yet am not exactly sure what foods would promote their survival over others.

Suikerbuik

I eat all of them raw, and like to cut all vegetables into long strands and eat them with chopstix. I don't like forks, and I don't like those block-cut vegetables you see at most restaurants. Should a leaf be a bit too springly, it can be osmotically-wilted by a high concentration of salt beforehand. Consider the first stage in kimchi production: the cabbage is salted directly, and then wilts as it's cell walls burst from osmotic pressure. But also: steamed spinach and kale are not radical departures from the native state, no worse than salting really. The majority of vitamins remain unaffected by steaming, yet the food matrix thus modified food does have implications for the microbiota.
Thank you for your reply. That's pretty impressive, much respect also; we grow most of our own vegetables, including lots of kale, but despite the kale being organic and crispy most is for the rabbits. You make me re-evaluate our habits though, and see if there's room for improvement. At least I am going to worry less about goitrogens, but the taste is so 'green' still.

nwo2012

This certainly does appear to be the case. Almonds can range from 8% (Genco, Spain cultivar*) to as high as 30.73% (Fresno, California 2004–2005†) as expressed as a percentage of total fatty acids.

Although high this is still roughly half that found in walnuts, pine nuts, and brazil nuts.

I think I could have confounded the linoleic acid content of peanuts with almonds. This is a chart that I've looked at in the past:

View attachment 7735 click to embiggen

Peanuts do appear low. But peanuts, as it turns out, are not at all consistent. There is a considerable variation in peanuts, ranging from two percent to over thirty:

'Table 1 reports the fatty acid compositions of lipid extracts from 151 Runner-type peanut cultivars collected in 2005 and 2006. Palmitic acid (C16:0) ranged from 5.31% to 11.49%; stearic acid (C18:0), 1.46% to 4.76%; oleic acid (C18:1, ω−9), 44.78% to 82.17%; linoleic acid (C18:2, ω−6), 2.85% to 33.92%; arachidic acid (C20:0), 0.87% to 2.18%; gondoic acid (C20:1, ω−9), 1.09% to 3.13%; behenic acid (C22:0), 0.73% to 4.37%; and lignoceric acid (C24:0), 0.41% to 2.12%.' ―Shin‡

So not only had I looked up peanuts after I had come across some free ones, I had found a determination at the low‐end of the linoleic acid range; there is little reason to even believe the peanuts I was eating were that low—they were actually very likely higher.

And since likely over 99% of almonds in my country come from California, I have to assume that they are ~25% linoleic acid as a percentage of total oil. I'll have to reconsider my almond consumption.

Thanks for letting me know. I think I knew this in the past, but had mentally confounded the almond with the peanut at some point—and not even peanuts are normally that low. The only linoleate‐safe nuts appear to be macadamias and coconuts.

But my memory didn't completely σλιτ the bed when it came to the limiting amino acids:

View attachment 7738

Methionine being the first limiting amino acid, and tryptophan the third.* Lysine (the second limiting) can also form a polyamine through ornithine decarboxylase, but ornithine decarboxylase has about fivefold greater affinity for ornithine—an amino acid which can be derived from either methionine or arginine, but mostly methionine.

And methionine, of course, can also become homocysteine.

[*] García-López, Carlos. "Major fatty acid composition of 19 almond cultivars of different origins." Journal of agricultural and food chemistry (1996)
[†] Sathe, S. K. "Fatty acid composition of California grown almonds." Journal of food science (2008).
[‡] Shin, Eui-Cheol. "Chemometric approach to fatty acid profiles in Runner-type peanut cultivars by principal component analysis (PCA)." Food chemistry (2010)
Why not eat macadamias instead?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals