Ray Peat On Butter And Cream Vs. Coconut Oil

WestCoaster

Butter isn't meant to be eaten in hordes, but more so as additions to something like steak, or to fry stuff with. Same thing with cream which I presume means heavy cream, it's added to coffee or to mix with some sauces. Coconut oil on the other hand people consume by the spoonful, and due to it being medium chain can be burned off directly for energy. Butter and Coconut oil don't produce an insulin response so it's perfect for burning fat. Heavy cream on the other hand I'm not so sure.

Syncopated

Whole fat milk is a misnomer because of the change of fat content of milk do to the introduction of Holstein dairy cows. Holstein cows really produce little butterfat in their milk. In Canada where I live, the standard for whole milk is 3.25% There is no way that this small increase over 1% is going to produce any appreciable weight gain. An extra 2.5% of butterfat does not contain enough extra PUFA's to suppress the thyroid and more.

I grew up on a farm and thrived on raw milk as a child and young lad. My dad milked a Holstein and all we did was strain it through a disc filter and serve it at the table; full fat.

I moved back to the farm in 2001 and hand milked a couple Jersey cows from 2001-2005. Both my cows ate pure organic grass all warm seasons with full choice hay/alfalfa blend. In the winter it was free choice hay/alfalfa and barley silage. Supplements were salt and kelp.

I can assure you the fat content of the Jersey milk I got was easily 3 times the amount labelled whole milk in stores. I would drink up to a gallon of this milk every day and never got fat. I would drink a quart a skimmed cream every day in addition to the milk and never got fat. I was eating the Primal Diet at the time which included lots of raw red meat and fish too.

I went through a phase where I made raw butter out of all the cream I got from 4 gallons of skimmed Jersey cream every day. I would eat over 2 pounds of butter every day. I just would put a tablespoon in my mouth and let it dissolve, I did this all day long. Never got fat.

I believe pasteurized dairy is more fattening than raw dairy. I believe most if not all of the science involving dairy is pasteurized, including lactic acid being supposedly hard on the liver. Ever had raw yogurt lactic acid? If that is hard on my liver than I will sacrifice my liver because nothing compares to the taste of raw yogurt with cayenne and chopped cucumbers.

amethyst

Whole fat milk is a misnomer because of the change of fat content of milk do to the introduction of Holstein dairy cows. Holstein cows really produce little butterfat in their milk. In Canada where I live, the standard for whole milk is 3.25% There is no way that this small increase over 1% is going to produce any appreciable weight gain. An extra 2.5% of butterfat does not contain enough extra PUFA's to suppress the thyroid and more.

I grew up on a farm and thrived on raw milk as a child and young lad. My dad milked a Holstein and all we did was strain it through a disc filter and serve it at the table; full fat.

I moved back to the farm in 2001 and hand milked a couple Jersey cows from 2001-2005. Both my cows ate pure organic grass all warm seasons with full choice hay/alfalfa blend. In the winter it was free choice hay/alfalfa and barley silage. Supplements were salt and kelp.

I can assure you the fat content of the Jersey milk I got was easily 3 times the amount labelled whole milk in stores. I would drink up to a gallon of this milk every day and never got fat. I would drink a quart a skimmed cream every day in addition to the milk and never got fat. I was eating the Primal Diet at the time which included lots of raw red meat and fish too.

I went through a phase where I made raw butter out of all the cream I got from 4 gallons of skimmed Jersey cream every day. I would eat over 2 pounds of butter every day. I just would put a tablespoon in my mouth and let it dissolve, I did this all day long. Never got fat.

I believe pasteurized dairy is more fattening than raw dairy. I believe most if not all of the science involving dairy is pasteurized, including lactic acid being supposedly hard on the liver. Ever had raw yogurt lactic acid? If that is hard on my liver than I will sacrifice my liver because nothing compares to the taste of raw yogurt with cayenne and chopped cucumbers.
The BEST ice cream I ever ate in my life, was ice cream from an Amish store that sold their ice cream right from the farm. Their ice cream store was right beside the dairy cows. The butter fat content was much higher than store bought ice cream and incredibly delicious. I have dreams about that ice cream.:smug:

Syncopated

When we get raw milk fully legal across all of the USA and Canada in the next few years, you will enjoy such delights again.

I flew to Malibu in 2004 to have a nutrition consultation with Vonderplanitz. When I got off the plane at the LAX airport I took a taxi directly to the nearest health food store and bought some raw butter, raw cream and raw milk.

Isn't it corrupt how the citizens of LA county can buy raw dairy in the stores, yet the rest of the States and Canada get prosecuted?

Here is a picture in my old house making 15 quarts of raw yogurt in the stove. The stove has to be adjusted to only warm the milk. 2.5 days later, raw lactic acid!

34hz7o0.jpg

The whey is the clear portion, the curds are the white part with a little layer of cultured cream at the very top. This is Holstein raw milk, Jersey would produce about twice as much curds and fat.

OP
Westside PUFAs
There is no way that this small increase over 1% is going to produce any appreciable weight gain.

Well, we have different definitions of the word "appreciable."

"You Can Get Fat On Butter" - Ray Peat

Isn't it corrupt how the citizens of LA county can buy raw dairy in the stores

They can't just buy any. It's still regulated and there's only two companies. And when one came in that wasn't regulated, the cops came in with guns blazing right in the Venice neighborhood of LA in 2011:

Vonderplanitz

Aajonus' high fat diet didn't end up working out for him.

OP
Westside PUFAs
In fact, one of the regulated companies, Organic Pastures, had their sales of raw milk halted numerous times over the last few years because of bacteria that was found in their milk. They couldn't sell milk for months.

Syncopated

The regulations are meant to be unattainable with outrageous limits on bacteria counts. Still, regulated or not, it's legal to buy.

Vonderplanitz fell off a balcony and broke his back dieing hours later.
His high raw fat diet had no grounds in his passing.

jyb

Butter and Coconut oil don't produce an insulin response so it's perfect for burning fat. Heavy cream on the other hand I'm not so sure.

Butter and cream produce no insulin response, it has been studied. MCT are said to stimulate insulin response, it would make sense to me given how they work. I do not know if the little amount of MCT found in a spoonful of coconut oil is enough to noticeably affect insulin, but I'm sure the answer can be found in some studies if you wanted to know.

Easier and tastier to just drink the cream in my opinion, Guernsey cow cream is sweet and vanilla flavoured, that's usually what I do when I need fat... Notice how different it tastes from the cream at the store, which without exaggeration makes me gag.

The heavy processing in the store milk comes from the homogenisation. I feel safe drinking pasteurised milk (if I have to) but would never drink homogenised milk. There are studies about this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5487

I cant seem to shed any of my fat in fact im only gaining body fat and I dont eat any butter whatsoever... I only eat some ice cream, gelato, cheeses, brie, choclates, pastries, and the occasional cheese

1 Sprint a day keeps the fat away

But I do 1 60 yard sprint full speed 3 days in a row, take a day off then do it agian.

frequency>>volume

Leptin/insulin senitivity goes up
Cortisol-baseline lowers...etc.

after the third sprinting day you will find hunger will start to drop, fat will start to melt

sladerunner69

1 Sprint a day keeps the fat away

But I do 1 60 yard sprint full speed 3 days in a row, take a day off then do it agian.

frequency>>volume

Leptin/insulin senitivity goes up
Cortisol-baseline lowers...etc.

after the third sprinting day you will find hunger will start to drop, fat will start to melt
From doing a mere single 60 yard sprint during the day? Is this done fasted first thing in the morning as well?

D

Deleted member 5487

From doing a mere single 60 yard sprint during the day? Is this done fasted first thing in the morning as well?

No.

A single sprint at 100% speed shifts al sorts of metabolic and hormonal triggers.
The body is signalled that it must drop excess weight to escape a predator, that how the psuedoscientist put it, Since the slowest will get eaten.

but

Dozens of studies showing effectiveness to be 8x more than steady state cardio, baseline cortisol down, insulin sensitivity up, leptin..etc

works wonders for me

tara

He is also drinking up to a gallon 1℅ milk which alone is about 38 g fat. Just for perspective.
And cream in his coffee.
But even if he ate 50 - 60g milk fat/day, that may still only be ~ 20% of calories - may be well within what he can handle.

tara

I cant seem to shed any of my fat in fact im only gaining body fat and I dont eat any butter whatsoever... I only eat some ice cream, gelato, cheeses, brie, choclates, pastries, and the occasional cheese
Oh, you poor deprived lad. So sad.

Jewbermensch

No.

A single sprint at 100% speed shifts al sorts of metabolic and hormonal triggers.
The body is signalled that it must drop excess weight to escape a predator, that how the psuedoscientist put it, Since the slowest will get eaten.

but

Dozens of studies showing effectiveness to be 8x more than steady state cardio, baseline cortisol down, insulin sensitivity up, leptin..etc

works wonders for me

Seems counter-intuitive to me that tricking your body into thinking you need to escape a predator would send cortisol DOWN

sladerunner69

Oh, you poor deprived lad. So sad.

Oh aren't I! Occasionally I will endulge in a tender slab of ribeye or some other meat- that is only on occasion like tonight, which marks the celebration of the second Thursday in August. In honour I also brought home a delectable strawberry shortcake, sweet cream for my coffee, maple syrup for my morning milkcakes, as well as coconut oil-fried potato chips for between-meal snacks.

When will my stubborn belly fat get the message! You're not welcome here, flabby!

achillies

Seems counter-intuitive to me that tricking your body into thinking you need to escape a predator would send cortisol DOWN

Their is an acute spike to the stress and then baseline declines, once again just what I read from the PhDs, could be wrong tho.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals