Danny Roddy Scores!

CoolTweetPete

brumpfschmlog said:
post 119251
CoolTweetPete said:
post 119237 I find that immature.
Agreed. Just throwing a little fire at his fire to show how it feels. Some east coasters assume that it is the superior place. Nothing wrong with having a preference for one place over another, but put-downs aren't appreciated. Even kidding, I didn't appreciate his put-down of Danny's "California uptalk." Whereever the hell he's from, apparently he thinks it's a given that its speech and attitudes are superior.

Sorry, hard to detect sarcasm via text lol.

It's that strange "us-versus-them" group phenomena that overtakes people when they're talking about their sports team, their brand of smartphone, or the operating system they prefer on their computer. :?

Last edited by a moderator:

Marvel

What does "up-talk" mean? Is that the thing where you inflect as though you are asking a question but you aren't actually asking one?

e.g. I went to the shop earlier? And bought orange juice?

It used to make my blood boil, but so many people do it now compared to 20 years ago you have to get over it.

Edit: I looked it up, and yes that's it. I'm British and I lived in Berlin for a while and noticed that this inflection was common among Germans and Scandinavians. There seem to be some sources on the Internet suggesting it came into American English via Scandinavian influence, which might explain the relationship to blonde surfer girls.

Check this video:

Last edited:

Ideonaut

Good interview! Thank you Danny!
Westside PUFA, what about black american accent or what some say the "hood" accent? I would consider it as an accent and it's quite good to the ear to be honest, unlike the boring slow texas accent.
yes, love the rudimentary-brain-only "accents" --dey ku!

Birdie

What does "up-talk" mean? Is that the thing where you inflect as though you are asking a question but you aren't actually asking one?

e.g. I went to the shop earlier? And bought orange juice?

It used to make my blood boil, but so many people do it now compared to 20 years ago you have to get over it.

Edit: I looked it up, and yes that's it. I'm British and I lived in Berlin for a while and noticed that this inflection was common among Germans and Scandinavians. There seem to be some sources on the Internet suggesting it came into American English via Scandinavian influence, which might explain the relationship to blonde surfer girls.

Check this video:

I lived in British Columbia and heard it often there. My friends told me that Canadians like to avoid saying anything possibly offensive, hence the question marks.
I'd heard it called the Therapy Lilt when I lived in California. We also called it Valley Talk or Valley Girl.

The term, Up-talk is new to me.

Thankfully, never hear it where I am now. But that could change... right?

Last edited: