Question About Ray Peat Progesterone Qoute

cyclops

In his article he writes:

"FOR PMS: The normal pattern of progesterone secretion during the month is for the ovaries to produce a large amount in the 2nd two weeks of the menstrual cycle, (i.e., day 14 through day 28) beginning at ovulation and ending around the beginning of menstruation, and then to produce little for the following two weeks. An average person produces about 30 milligrams daily during the 2nd two weeks. The solution I have used contains approximately 3 or 4 milligrams of progesterone per small drop. Three to four drops, or about 10 to 15 milligrams of progesterone, is often enough to bring the progesterone level up to normal. That amount can be taken days 14 through 28 of the menstrual cycle; this amount may be repeated once or twice during the day as needed to alleviate symptoms. Since an essential mechanism of progesterone's action involves its opposition to estrogen, smaller amounts are effective when estrogen production is low, and if estrogen is extremely high, even large supplements of progesterone will have no clear effect; in that case, it is essential to regulate estrogen metabolism, by improving the diet, correcting a thyroid deficiency, etc. (Unsaturated fat is antithyroid and synergizes with estrogen.)"

I am probably misunderstanding something basic here, but he seems to say women produce more progesterone during days 14-28 of their menstrual cycle, but then also recommends supplementing progesterone during that time. I would have figured that women would want to supplement progesterone when they are not producing as much (so days 1-13). Could someone explain what I'm missing here?

managing

In his article he writes:

"FOR PMS: The normal pattern of progesterone secretion during the month is for the ovaries to produce a large amount in the 2nd two weeks of the menstrual cycle, (i.e., day 14 through day 28) beginning at ovulation and ending around the beginning of menstruation, and then to produce little for the following two weeks. An average person produces about 30 milligrams daily during the 2nd two weeks. The solution I have used contains approximately 3 or 4 milligrams of progesterone per small drop. Three to four drops, or about 10 to 15 milligrams of progesterone, is often enough to bring the progesterone level up to normal. That amount can be taken days 14 through 28 of the menstrual cycle; this amount may be repeated once or twice during the day as needed to alleviate symptoms. Since an essential mechanism of progesterone's action involves its opposition to estrogen, smaller amounts are effective when estrogen production is low, and if estrogen is extremely high, even large supplements of progesterone will have no clear effect; in that case, it is essential to regulate estrogen metabolism, by improving the diet, correcting a thyroid deficiency, etc. (Unsaturated fat is antithyroid and synergizes with estrogen.)"

I am probably misunderstanding something basic here, but he seems to say women produce more progesterone during days 14-28 of their menstrual cycle, but then also recommends supplementing progesterone during that time. I would have figured that women would want to supplement progesterone when they are not producing as much (so days 1-13). Could someone explain what I'm missing here?
Yes. If you supplement progesterone during the other two weeks, you stop having a period. He has said that postmenopausal women can supplement continuously.

The idea is that some women don't produce enough progesterone during days 14-28, but THAT is the appropriate time to do it. Thus, achieving a healthy and natural cycle.

As I understand it anyway. Never had a period myself o_O:rolleyes:

M

marikay

Yes. If you supplement progesterone during the other two weeks, you stop having a period. He has said that postmenopausal women can supplement continuously.

The idea is that some women don't produce enough progesterone during days 14-28, but THAT is the appropriate time to do it. Thus, achieving a healthy and natural cycle.

You have it right. :)

OP
cyclops

cyclops

That makes sense, thanks. Kind of makes me wonder why men would ever do well taking it though.

managing

That makes sense, thanks. Kind of makes me wonder why men would ever do well taking it though.
Men do make progesterone. But its level don't fluctuate, and are generally lower. I think it is recommended for bringing estrogen down, but there is mixed feedback about it lowering T and its metabolites too. Unsure what is true in that regard.

Lejeboca

Just to make it more precise. I think the key explanation is in the following part of the quote from Peat as cited by @cyclops :

this amount may be repeated once or twice during the day as needed to alleviate symptoms. Since an essential mechanism of progesterone's action involves its opposition to estrogen, smaller amounts are effective when estrogen production is low, and if estrogen is extremely high, even large supplements of progesterone will have no clear effect; in that case, it is essential to regulate estrogen metabolism, by improving the diet, correcting a thyroid deficiency, etc

In other words, the ratio of estrogen to progesterone may be too high in days 14-28, so that estrogenic symptoms such as PMS or migrane, appear close to the cycle start.

managing

Just to make it more precise. I think the key explanation is in the following part of the quote from Peat as cited by @cyclops :

In other words, the ratio of estrogen to progesterone may be too high in days 14-28, so that estrogenic symptoms such as PMS or migrane, appear close to the cycle start.
Great point.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals